2008 Nissan X-Trail

Started by omicron, March 08, 2007, 07:39:30 PM

omicron

You might have to look hard (okay, really hard!) but make no mistake, the X-TRAIL Nissan released at this week's Geneva Show is all-new. Due for debut in Europe in time for the northern hemisphere summer, the vehicle draws heavily on the styling of the current-generation softroader.

The X-TRAIL is a star performer for Nissan in Australia and popular choice given its mid-sized dimensions and reasonable offroad ability. Nissan sources say the new five-door wagon will make its Down Under debut at the Sydney show in October.

The new vehicle features a revised version of Nissan's ALL MODE electronic all-wheel-drive system. The system offers a full 4x4 lock mode which can be used in low-traction situations up to 40km/h.

The new system also features Downhill Drive Support (DDS) and Uphill Start Support (USS). DDS is a version of hill descent control while USS is an automated hill start function which even operates in reverse.

Built on an all-new platform that is shared with the Qashqai -- Dualis here when it arrives (and Renault's upcoming softroaders) -- the X-TRAIL has grown. Wheelbase has increased by 5mm to 2630mm, while overall length has grown by 175mm to 4630mm. Nissan says much of the increase is behind the rear seats, yielding an almost 50 per cent increase in luggage space.

Approach and departure angles are 28 and 23 degrees respectively and ground clearance is a claimed 200mm.

Nissan says the new model offers more interior space, greater comfort and refinement, more equipment and better performance, economy and reduced emissions. Passenger and pedestrian safety has also been enhanced.

It says the X-TRAIL has taken a step up in interior finish and functionality. Soft 'touchpoints', better quality materials throughout and attention to storage options all play their parts in the upgrade, the company says.

New X-TRAIL has a wider range of engines than its predecessor, with two petrol and two diesel options being offered: only one engine ? a 2.5-litre 16 valve four-cylinder petrol unit ? has been carried over, albeit with further improvements, from the original model. The other three engines are all new. For the first time, X-TRAIL offers two levels of turbo-diesel power. The engines are versions of the highly regarded 2.0-litre M1D unit developed by Alliance partner Renault which combines high outputs and good economy with class-leading refinement.

In X-TRAIL, power outputs are 110kW (150hp), which increases to 127kW (173hp) when the engine is intercooled. Torque outputs are 320Nm and 360Nm respectively, 90 per cent of which is developed, in both cases, at a low 1750rpm.

The new petrol engine, is a lightweight all-alloy 16 valve 2.0-litre producing 103kW (140hp) and 193Nm of torque.

TheIntrepid

So a bigger ass and a nicer interior. Cool!

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

omicron

Quote from: TheIntrepid on March 08, 2007, 07:52:47 PM
So a bigger ass and a nicer interior. Cool!

Sounds like Britney's visit to rehab - a bigger ass and a hose-out.

goldenlover1101

not very becoming. The only one where it looks nice is the last one. I like the Xterra and Pathfinder, but this looks akward

"The more people I meet the more I like my dog."

Galaxy

What need does Nissan have of the X-Trail now that the Quasqai is here? They obviously enlarged the X-Trail considerably to leave some room for it. Still the X-Trail seems a bit redundant.

MX793

I don't think it's that bad looking.  I like it better than the Rogue/Quasqai.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Secret Chimp

I hope that glowing red tunnel in the instrument panel is more an effect of the photo's exposure than an actual HAL 9000 eye thing.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

SaltyDog

It does the job :ohyeah:  Nice to see a stick in there too.

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

giant_mtb

AKL

Interior is much, much improved!

Exterior looks a little odd, but I like it! Better looking than the CRV!
---------------------
05 Accord EX V6/  07 Santa Fe 3.3 GL
---------------------

The Pirate

Hmmm, I rather like it.  This is Nissan's answer to the CR-V and RAV4, right?  I'd be tempted to test drive one.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

FordSVT

I like the old one, I've ridden in them many times. The Skyview roof is nice and it's got a sufficiently rugged interior and exterior compared to most other mini-utes. The one thing I never did like was the center gauge cluster, and this redo has taken care of the problem. Excellent.
-FordSVT-

nickdrinkwater

The X-Trail is probably the only current Nissan I'd want to own.  This looks almost exactly the same  :huh:

Raghavan

J86

looks cool- i like the lights

oooooh...shiny

TheIntrepid

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on March 12, 2007, 03:59:48 PM
The X-Trail is probably the only current Nissan I'd want to own.  This looks almost exactly the same  :huh:

300hp + RWD

270hp + CVT

FordSVT

The X-Trail is probably the only current Nissan I'd want to own.? This looks almost exactly the same? :huh:

But the outside was never the problem, it was the inside that made people retch.

I really, really hope to god car makers are finally going to get it into their heads that the gauges belong in FRONT of your eyes.
-FordSVT-

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: TheIntrepid on March 12, 2007, 10:51:47 PM

300hp + RWD

270hp + CVT

Ok I forgot about the Z  :mask:

The second car you posted (Altima/Maxima?) looks dull.  I don't see why I would have one of those when I could have a Fusion, Taurus, Passat etc.

TBR

TheIntrepid

Altima > Fusion/Taurus

Don't know about Passat... I've only driven a 2002. Altima's definitely roomier than the new Passat though, and much more powerful.

The Pirate

Quote from: TheIntrepid on March 14, 2007, 01:53:26 PM
Altima > Fusion/Taurus

Don't know about Passat... I've only driven a 2002. Altima's definitely roomier than the new Passat though, and much more powerful.

Can't really lump the Fusion in with the Taurus there, homeslice.  :tounge:

Totally different cars, and the Fusion shares a lot of stuff with the Mazda 6. 
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

chevyguy06

The X-Trail is probably the only current Nissan I'd want to own. This looks almost exactly the same :huh:

Funny you said that....with the exception of the Quest and Sentra, it's the only one I wouldn't want.
'05 Ford Escape XLT V6

TheIntrepid

Quote from: The Pirate on March 14, 2007, 01:56:54 PM

Can't really lump the Fusion in with the Taurus there, homeslice.  :tounge:

Totally different cars, and the Fusion shares a lot of stuff with the Mazda 6. 

I wasn't lumping it in my friend. He said something about a Fusion/Taurus/Passat all in one. ;)

FordSVT

Quote from: TBR on March 14, 2007, 09:45:11 AM
Because it drives better.

I think before you say an Altima "drives better" than a Fusion, you'd have to be a bit more specific about what "drives better" means.

Also, have you personally driven a new Altima and a Fusion? And what if a person's priority was comfortable cruising and a huge interior? Would the Altima still be a better choice over the new Taurus?

Your opinions aren't facts you know.
-FordSVT-

TBR

I am sorry, "because it handles better."  Considering this is an enthusist website it is generally safe to say that most of us put twisty road performance ahead of comfortable cruising. Lighten up, everyone knew what I meant. And, no, I haven't driven them, but all the mags agree with me.

The Altima doesn't even compete with the Taurus.

Tave

As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.