Not too shabby if I may say so.

Started by VTEC_Inside, March 09, 2007, 05:49:16 PM

VTEC_Inside

A buddy of my dads recentley bought an '07 Civic DX-G. Basically a base model with A/C.

Its not really lacking in anything feature wise EXCEPT it doesn't have cruise control. I don't care too much for cruise, but he missed it from his other car.

After a bit of searching we found an aftermarket cruise control unit. He ordered it and it arrived Wednesday.

He came by today and I installed it. Not too difficult, but all the wiring in that car is VERY tightly wrapped in tape and or plastic loom then tape. Most of the work was just cutting that off without cutting a wire.

Scariest part? This thing is DBW and two of the wires to the pedal had to be CUT and intercepted by the cruise unit. That was freaky enough, plus there is MAYBE 6 inches of wire between the connector and the main harness. Got the wires cut and exposed and soldered/heatshrunk the new wires in between while only dislocating my shoulder a little bit.

Made the final connections, reconnected the battery and away we went.

Felt good that after 4hrs it works just as you would expect. The only functional drawback is that there is no light to indicate when its on. Not too big a deal

He's pretty happy with it, so I'm glad.
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

ifcar

Does it interfere with the warranty?

Soup DeVille

Quote from: ifcar on March 09, 2007, 05:52:06 PM

Only if his modifications hurt the wiring harness, any damage caused by them will not be covered. Other than that, no.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: ifcar on March 09, 2007, 05:52:06 PM

I have to imagine that he is SOL as far as any problems with the harness now.

He was really missing the cruise so unfortunately no getting around it. I didn't f around though. All connections are soldered, heatshrunk, ziptied etc... The only wires that HAD to be cut were the two to the gas pedal. All others I just cut back the sheathing.

If there ever is a problem I strongly doubt it will be with the wiring. Provided the control unit doesn't crap out down the line, it should last as long as the car.

ifcar

How much more is an LX than a DX-G in Canada?

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: ifcar on March 09, 2007, 06:13:36 PM
How much more is an LX than a DX-G in Canada?

I meant to mention that. I actually suggested that he should have done that to avoid this hassle, but he got a good deal on the car. He was upside down on his existing lease by a little. It only cost him $1200 to get into a better lease with this one, ie he's actually ahead of the curve now.

The LX is a bit over $1600 (+ tax) more. The cruise unit was almost $400CAD (incl tax). I figure if I hadn't installed it, it would have been at least $200 to get it installed.

If it were me, I would have struggled a bit more and bought the LX. In this case we just worked with what he had.