2005 Toyota Avalon Limited

Started by BMWDave, June 14, 2005, 08:11:15 PM

BMWDave

Link

2005 Toyota Avalon Limited
Better Than Ever: Third-generation Avalon carves a perfect niche between pretension and purpose
BOB GRITZINGER
Published Date: 6/13/05
2005 TOYOTA AVALON LIMITED
ON SALE: Now
BASE PRICE: $34,080
POWERTRAIN: 3.5-liter, 280-hp, 260-lb-ft V6; fwd, five-speed automatic
CURB WEIGHT: 3600 lbs
0 TO 60 MPH: 6.6 seconds (mfr.)
FUEL MILEAGE (EPA combined/AW observed): 25.3 mpg/19.6 mpg

Toyota?s flagship Avalon is remarkable both for its surprising level of competence as well as its stunning lack of sustained curb appeal. Make no mistake: The redesigned 2005 Avalon is a very good large sedan. Just don?t expect an ogling crowd to gather when you wheel into a parking space.

We said as much earlier this year when we first drove the third-generation Avalon (Feb. 14) and deemed it more perfect than its perfect predecessor. After a few weeks of mundane commuter service, weekend errands and grocery getting, the Avalon remains a step above the more mainstream Camry, as well as new sedans from domestics, such as Buick LaCrosse and Ford Five Hundred. Several editors mentioned the Avalon represents, in many ways, what a top-of-the-line LaCrosse ought to be.

The domestics would no doubt argue Avalon is more expensive?and the premium Limited model we drove with an as-tested price of $37,429 makes their case. On the other hand, Avalon models start as low as $26,350, putting the car squarely in the meat of the front-drive, large sedan market. The car we tested was fitted with a bevy of options, including a $1,900 voice-activated DVD navigation system and the $600 dynamic laser active cruise control; it comes standard with such niceties as heated and ventilated leather-trimmed power front seats, a keyless entry/ignition system, 12-speaker 360-watt audio system, power sunroof and power rear sunshade.

Delete a bunch of those options and features and you?re still left with a lot of car. The suspension is supple and soaks up the harshness of the road, but the handling doesn?t float; it feels far more buttoned up than we expected for a high-end liner. The new 3.5-liter 280-hp V6 does a good job of motivating the car?s 3600 pounds via a smooth-shifting five-speed automatic. Steering is precise and not too weighty for a front-driver; the four-wheel antilock disc brakes are more than up to the sedan?s demands.

The clincher, though, lies in the near-Lexus luxury and bulletproof Toyota quality that puts Avalon on a higher plane than the competition. Close the doors and there is a definite thunk?a sound formerly reserved for cars with German badges. All controls, knobs and switches exude quality and craftsmanship, as well as precise fit. Many of the controls are tucked away behind futuristic-looking hidden panels, including the navigation system.

?This is a solid, beautifully built, big car,? wrote one editor. ?It?s the perfect Buick?the Buick that Buick should build.?

And as much as the 2005 Avalon?s restyled sheetmetal won?t stop passersby in their tracks, it is a significant upgrade from the previous edition. It will arguably hold its own against the Five Hundred?s plain-wrapper exterior and the design of the LaCrosse.

Yes, at $37,000-plus, this is an expensive Toyota. On the other hand, you?d be hard-pressed to find many of the Avalon?s amenities in some cars costing $30,000 more. It would be easy to call Avalon a sleeper?one about ready to awaken, shake off its sales doldrums, and suck up a huge portion of the near-luxury premium large sedan market.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

TBR

Nice and boring, typical Toyota. I hope that the Lucerne gives the Avalon a run for its money in every category. :lol:

ifcar

Considering that the Buick would probably be less expensive, that would make it an exceptional class-leader. It depends on how expensive it would have to be to get the V8, and how well GM did the seats this time around.  

TBR

QuoteConsidering that the Buick would probably be less expensive, that would make it an exceptional class-leader. It depends on how expensive it would have to be to get the V8, and how well GM did the seats this time around.
My bet is that it will probably be a tad more expensive than the Avalon, but that difference will quickly be removed thanks to incentives.  

ifcar

So it will be "overpriced" but a good "value", or am I mixing up the terms you use to describe realistic and unrealistic pricing?

And if it's an Avalon-level car, they probably wouldn't need incentives, at least not LeSabre-level incentives. People would buy it actually based on its merits rather than the fact that they want to trade in their big Buick for a newer big Buick.

TBR

QuoteSo it will be "overpriced" but a good "value", or am I mixing up the terms you use to describe realistic and unrealistic pricing?

And if it's an Avalon-level car, they probably wouldn't need incentives, at least not LeSabre-level incentives. People would buy it actually based on its merits rather than the fact that they want to trade in their big Buick for a newer big Buick.
It will be slightly overpriced compared to the Avalon but it should still be a good value. It really isn't confusing and if you think about it it makes sense.

I think they will still have to use incentives, but only $500-1000 cashback, or even just 0% financing (do they still do that?).  

ifcar

0% financing is usually in lieu of a rebate, and is only on unpopular models at that. I don't think that GM would put it on the Lucerne anytime soon, especially if it's an excellent car.

Catman

There is some decent pics and info of the Lucerne on the Buick site.  It's pretty nice and I'm sure it will have a class leading quiet ride but i'm not sure it will outclass the Avalon, we'll see.  Buicks always seem to have decent quality so much will depend on driving dynamics I suppose.

TBR

QuoteThere is some decent pics and info of the Lucerne on the Buick site.  It's pretty nice and I'm sure it will have a class leading quiet ride but i'm not sure it will outclass the Avalon, we'll see.  Buicks always seem to have decent quality so much will depend on driving dynamics I suppose.
Have you been in a Buick in the last 5 years? Except for the Lacrosse, interior quality is pretty bad.  

Catman

QuoteThere is some decent pics and info of the Lucerne on the Buick site.  It's pretty nice and I'm sure it will have a class leading quiet ride but i'm not sure it will outclass the Avalon, we'll see.  Buicks always seem to have decent quality so much will depend on driving dynamics I suppose.
Have you been in a Buick in the last 5 years? Except for the Lacrosse, interior quality is pretty bad.
Materials aren't the greatest but the quality isn't bad.  The new Avalons aren't perfect either, I've been hearing complaints regarding some interior fit and finish issues, though we should probably keep that in perspective.

TBR

QuoteThere is some decent pics and info of the Lucerne on the Buick site.  It's pretty nice and I'm sure it will have a class leading quiet ride but i'm not sure it will outclass the Avalon, we'll see.  Buicks always seem to have decent quality so much will depend on driving dynamics I suppose.
Materials aren't the greatest but the quality isn't bad.  The new Avalons aren't perfect either, I've been hearing complaints regarding some interior fit and finish issues, though we should probably keep that in perspective.
But that isn't nearly as fun as blowing it completely out of porportion and watching ifcar get all huffy ;) :lol:  

Catman

He can be a little toucy can't he? :P  

TBR

QuoteHe can be a little toucy can't he? :P
Indeed  

ifcar

What problem do you have with the LaCrosse interior? You could argue the styling I suppose, but I like the dash design myself. And fit and finish is very impressive, definitely the best current Buick.

Or were you expecting an Avalon-related "huff" from the resident Toyota troll?  :rolleyes:  

TBR

What problem do you have with the LaCrosse interior? You could argue the styling I suppose, but I like the dash design myself. And fit and finish is very impressive, definitely the best current Buick.

Or were you expecting an Avalon-related "huff" from the resident Toyota troll?  :rolleyes:
Must I define "except"?  

Catman

QuoteThere is some decent pics and info of the Lucerne on the Buick site.? It's pretty nice and I'm sure it will have a class leading quiet ride but i'm not sure it will outclass the Avalon, we'll see.? Buicks always seem to have decent quality so much will depend on driving dynamics I suppose.

Lighten up Francis. :lol:   You're right the LaCrosse interior is pretty good.

ifcar

Must I define "except"?
Must I read every word of your post?  :P

In that light, I'll mention that the Terazza interior is also quite nice.

TBR

Must I define "except"?
Must I read every word of your post?  :P

In that light, I'll mention that the Terazza interior is also quite nice.
Indeed, I tend to forget about it since the rest of the vehicle is so medicore.  

Submariner

Yes Your Honor?  :P  
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Raza

At 37K, I can think of a myriad of cars I'd rather own.  G35, TL, 325i, E46 330i, C230 Sport Sedan, Lexus IS300 (old model).  

Hell, at 20K, I can think of a bunch of cars I'd rather have.  

How much do bicycles go for these days?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

thewizard16

QuoteAt 37K, I can think of a myriad of cars I'd rather own.  G35, TL, 325i, E46 330i, C230 Sport Sedan, Lexus IS300 (old model).  

Hell, at 20K, I can think of a bunch of cars I'd rather have.  

How much do bicycles go for these days?
I doubt you're in the market for a Buick, though, either.  :D  
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

ifcar

Well put. You're probably one of the farthest consumers from the Avalon's target market who'd consider a sedan in the same price range.