My Esteemed Esteem

Started by Eye of the Tiger, March 12, 2007, 11:10:15 AM

Eye of the Tiger

I went on a little photoshoot today...

Here's my '98 Esteem wagon at Ft. Williams Park in Cape Elizabeth, Maine:

That is Portland Headlight in the background, the oldest lighthouse in Maine.

Here it is parked in front of the Casco Bay Bridge, which crosses the Fore River, connecting South Portland to Portland. The bridge was just built in the mid 90's or so... it replaced the old drawbridge called the "Million Dollar Bridge".

And now for some interior shots...

How many cheap econo cars have a nice organizer on top of the spare tire? It also has several hidden compartments in the trunk area, very nifty.

And the awesome powerplant. A 1.6L SOHC which cranks out an astounding 95hp!

Here's the giant hole I cut in the airbox... now I'm sure it makes 95.3hp!!!
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Pancor

Life in the fast lane is nice, isn't it?

The Pirate

1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Payman

I like the homemade "flame-surfacing" touch you added to the l/h doors.  :ohyeah:

TheIntrepid

Oh true. I didn't even notice that. WTF did you do?

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: TheIntrepid on March 12, 2007, 12:51:49 PM
Oh true. I didn't even notice that. WTF did you do?

Oh, I didn't do it... as I recall, my dad had an encouter with a guardrail.

TheIntrepid

:confused:

Nice.

So you're living with him now?

The Pirate

After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

the Teuton

Do I smell a turbo kit coming soon?  :ohyeah:

It looks pretty nice.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

The Pirate

Hehehe, it's got less hp than my car.  :lol:

Though it probably has more torque.  :mask:

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: TheIntrepid on March 12, 2007, 02:08:30 PM
:confused:

Nice.

So you're living with him now?

Yup.

Quote from: The Pirate on March 12, 2007, 02:09:13 PM
How's it handle?

It's lightweight, has soft suspension and skinny 13" tires... the ride is comfortably firm, it ain't perfect, but it's reasonably well-balanced and the steering actually has quite a sporting feel to it, even if the steering ratio isn't all that quick. I haven't really pushed the limits too hard yet, so I can't really say too much about the handling, but it seems well suited for driving on the bumpy, winding roads of Maine.
The brakes work.
The engine is obvioulsy nothing spectacular, but revving it up doesn't produce too much objectional NVH (or power for that matter); actually louder than the engine, is the wine of the transmission; there's nothing wrong with it, it jsut does that. The lack of power is also mitigated somewhat by some fairly close-ratio gears, which makes shifting more fun as well, which is good, because a lot of shifting is needed to keep it going.
I have always liked the feel of the rod-actuated shifter as well. It has somewhat long throws, but it has a solid, decisive feel to it. The effort is a bit higher than usual, but I consider that better than the artificial, flimsy feeling of many cable-operated levers.

Quote from: the Teuton on March 12, 2007, 02:10:24 PM
Do I smell a turbo kit coming soon? :ohyeah:

It looks pretty nice.

I have researched this possibility in the past, but the fact is, any more than 5psi on this motor and gearbox would cause serious problems. For the foreseeable future, nothing major is planned in the engine department.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: The Pirate on March 12, 2007, 02:19:36 PM
Hehehe, it's got less hp than my car.? :lol:

Though it probably has more torque.? :mask:

Power is 95hp @ 6000rpm, and torque is 99lb-ft at 3000 rpms.... I think you got me beat  :tounge:

The Pirate

Hehehe, I'm rocking 106hp and 103lb-ft of torque.

You just need to get a tach in there.  My car didn't come with one either (DX model), but I grabbed a gauge cluster from an EX off of eBay, and popped that in.  Honda gauge clusters are plug and play, and the necessary wiring for the tach is already there.  It's just a matter of installing one that has a tach.  Couldn't be easier.

Eye of the Tiger

I think a tach is pointless in this case. I like my 90mph speedometer anyway, it makes me feel like I'm going fast.  :lol:

nickdrinkwater

Cool.  Looks like a useful little runaround.

It is called the Baleno in the UK, IIRC.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on March 12, 2007, 04:02:47 PM
Cool.? Looks like a useful little runaround.

It is called the Baleno in the UK, IIRC.

Yup... I actaully had to join a UK-based Baleno forum, since there seem to be no Baleno/Esteem "entusiasts" in the US.

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raghavan

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=8097.msg384746#msg384746 date=1173738890
Bastard.?

That seems a bit uncalled for, don't you think?  :lol:

the Teuton

IIRC, the magazines actually thought it was a decent small car.  It'll work.

I am surprised how much space is under the hood, though.  Were there any other engine options in Japan?  Also, what options/features does it have?
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

J86

TBR

That is iffy's dream car right there (and I am not being to sarcastic either, last year he was looking hard for one).

Eye of the Tiger

Moved to Mainstream!? Foiled again!!!? ?:lol:

Quote from: the Teuton on March 12, 2007, 06:46:00 PM
IIRC, the magazines actually thought it was a decent small car.? It'll work.

I am surprised how much space is under the hood, though.? Were there any other engine options in Japan?? Also, what options/features does it have?

It's a GL.. which means it doesn't have much as far as options. A/C and a tape deck were probably the only options. Of course, I had to replace that with a nice Sony Xplode Cd player.

Up til 1998, the 1.6 was the largest engine available. There was also a 1.3L (maybe even a 1.0?) in the 3-door hatch model sold in Europe and other places. After 1999, a 120hp 1.8L engine became optional.

Quote from: TBR on March 12, 2007, 06:52:30 PM
That is iffy's dream car right there (and I am not being to sarcastic either, last year he was looking hard for one).
Really? I've never heard of anyone trying to look for an Esteem before.? ?:P

ifcar

I only look hard for cars when I need one. Sometimes they just turn up and hard hard to turn down (I thought an Esteem wagon I found last year might be one of those, but the seller wouldn't budge from an obscene price) and other times I'm on deadline and get what's available.

I'd hardly call an Esteem a dream car, but it's definitely underrated.

TheIntrepid

:lol:

Quote from: ifcar on March 12, 2007, 07:18:57 PM
I only look hard for cars when I need one. Sometimes they just turn up and hard hard to turn down (I thought an Esteem wagon I found last year might be one of those, but the seller wouldn't budge from an obscene price) and other times I'm on deadline and get what's available.

I'd hardly call an Esteem a dream car, but it's definitely underrated.
:rolleyes:

Eye of the Tiger

280Z Turbo

Quote from: the Teuton on March 12, 2007, 02:10:24 PM
Do I smell a turbo kit coming soon? :ohyeah:

It looks pretty nice.

Yeah I smell that too. Smells like smoke and ethylene glycol.

cawimmer430

You must have a very high self-ESTEEM to post this here!  :devil: :lol:

Nice car. We got the same thing as the Suzuki Baleno here in Europe and when it came out, I actually liked the design of the car because it was something fresh and different from the various Japanese mainstreamers here which all looked alike. This car looked different and it also good decent reviews if I remember correctly.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

TheIntrepid

I remember in India we used to have one of these...except it was badged "Baleno Altura"...it was pretty nice.

the Teuton

Quote from: cawimmer430 on March 13, 2007, 04:11:46 AM
You must have a very high self-ESTEEM to post this here!? :devil: :lol:

I actually liked the design of the car because it was something fresh and different from the various Japanese mainstreamers here which all looked alike. This car looked different and it also good decent reviews if I remember correctly.

I actually thought that it looked like a plainer Impreza back in the day, and I still do.