Why would I have uneven brake wear?

Started by Secret Chimp, March 13, 2007, 03:59:50 PM

Secret Chimp

I took my car in for an alignment/balancing (hadn't had it done since I got it) today and the shop said I had about 50% left on my front left pads, but only 25% on the right ones. The car doesn't pull to either side when I brake. Why would this have developed?

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Raza

Roads can account for it as well, perhaps uneven tire pressures?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

MX793

Quote from: r0tor on March 13, 2007, 04:26:44 PM
dragging caliper?

On a front wheel, I'd think that would cause the car to pull to one side.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

S204STi

It would be more informative if we know what the actual measurements were...but either way, I think it is possible for a caliper to drag slightly without creating a dramatic impact on steering pull.

AutobahnSHO

I put new pads/ rotors on my Voyager this summer.  I bought it spring 2004 with 85k miles on it, now it has about 116k.
I don't remember which side, but one side was subtantially more worn than the other.   :huh:
Will

Pancor

Your caliper slides on one side are probably all dry and sticking.  Time for new pads and a grind 'n grease on your caliper pins!

S204STi

Quote from: Pancor on March 13, 2007, 07:38:02 PM
Your caliper slides on one side are probably all dry and sticking.? Time for new pads and a grind 'n grease on your caliper pins!

That's what I was thinking too.  Saw that a ton when I was wrenching in New Hampster.

saxonyron

I'll bet it's a dragging caliper.? Even a little drag will wear down the pad.? It might not necessarily pull the wheel to one side, and is even less likely to affect the braking. I've had a few dragging calipers, and I don't remember any time the car tracking funny or braking poorly.

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

Soup DeVille

Quote from: saxonyron on March 13, 2007, 08:44:49 PM
I'll bet it's a dragging caliper.? Even a little drag will wear down the pad.? It might not necessarily pull the wheel to one side, and is even less likely to affect the braking. I've had a few dragging calipers, and I don't remember any time the car tracking funny or braking poorly.

Most modern cars have the disc surfaces very close to the steering knuckle's axis in order to cut down on torque on the steering induced by braking, so no: a dragging caliper may not be immediately evident

A lot of people will drag their brakes through left hand turns through intersections- and I'm willing to bet this can cause the saem thing as well.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Secret Chimp

Quote from: Soup DeVille on March 13, 2007, 08:56:46 PM
Most modern cars have the disc surfaces very close to the steering knuckle's axis in order to cut down on torque on the steering induced by braking, so no: a dragging caliper may not be immediately evident

A lot of people will drag their brakes through left hand turns through intersections- and I'm willing to bet this can cause the saem thing as well.

I drag my gas through left hand turns :P

I have noticed an intermittent little squeek that sounds like a brake when my foot is completely off the brake, just at low speeds. If I tap the brakes it'll go away.
Also, I haven't the means to grind anything. (Insert jokes)

r0tor

one of my friends didn't even know he had a sticking caliper until it completely seized and broke a brembo rotor  :tounge:
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

S204STi

Quote from: r0tor on March 14, 2007, 04:19:44 PM
one of my friends didn't even know he had a sticking caliper until it completely seized and broke a brembo rotor? :tounge:

Sounds 'spensive.

MX793

I had the slide pins on one of my calipers seize up on my Nissan a couple of years ago.  Didn't realize anything was wrong until I started hearing grinding noises from the rear, both when braking and when taking corners.  At first I thought it was a wheel bearing, but when I pulled the wheel off I saw one of the pads had been worn to the backing plate.  I threw in another set of pads and lubed up the slide pins at all 4 corners and it was good to go.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Secret Chimp

OK, I'm guessing everyone yells "HAWK PADS" when I ask which pads to get.
Since this car is hindered already by rear drums, I just want what has the best street stopping power. I don't care about dust or noise.

S204STi

Quote from: Secret Chimp on March 14, 2007, 06:54:35 PM
OK, I'm guessing everyone yells "HAWK PADS" when I ask which pads to get.
Since this car is hindered already by rear drums, I just want what has the best street stopping power. I don't care about dust or noise.

TireRack does a good job of dividing up different brake pad options based on desired performance levels.  You may have several options other than Hawk.  I have no experience with them but I have heard good stuff about them.

Secret Chimp

I forgot TireRack has brakes and other things. Looks like people like Akebono ProAct pads better than Hawk pads, from what I can tell.

S204STi

Do whatever you think is best and let us know. :ohyeah:  I am hoping to try EBC redstuff next time.

Secret Chimp

OK, dumb question: are the pins/slides I need to lubricate the bolts I loosen to remove/swing up the caliper in the first place?

AutobahnSHO

I BELIEVE they're the end of the pads that "slide" on the caliper assembly, and the part of the assembly that they slide on. 
I didn't know about this when I did my brake work.  So they'll get lubed next time...

Anyone?    :huh:
Will

Secret Chimp

Alright, it does look like the caliper slides on those two bolts. Hopefully the seals on them are fine and just require lube; if not, I guess I'll just lube up the slides and slide bores really well and order a caliper repair kit before installing my new pads.
I've noticed I can hear when it sticks sometimes; I heard a squeaking after going up a parking lot ramp, I blomped the brakes real quick and it went away. Hopefully this indicates that just the slides are bad and not the piston/bore.

ro51092

I would've guessed a dragging caliper.

Secret Chimp

That's nice, but the rest of the class moved on to the next page awhile ago :P