2007 Ford Everest

Started by BMWDave, June 14, 2005, 09:07:22 PM

BMWDave

Link with Spy Shots

2007 Ford Everest
It's no secret that GM has been eating Ford's lunch with its Chevrolet Suburban and GMC Yukon XL full-size sport-utes. The Ford Excursion has its fans, but it never attained big enough sales volumes to give the Suburban/Tahoe twins much to worry about.

To get back in the game, Ford is now working on an extended-length version of the 2007 Expedition that may carry the Everest name when it goes on sale late next year. As can be seen from our spy shots of the prototype, the overall shape of the Everest won't be drastically different from the current Expedition. Styling cues up front will most likely mimic the F-150, but the Everest doesn't appear to share the high beltline of Ford's best-selling pickup.

A close look at the spy pictures clearly shows that Ford will continue to use an independent rear suspension in its biggest SUVs. This almost assures that the automaker won't offer a heavy-duty version of the Everest as GM does with the Suburban/Tahoe.

Less clear is what will be under the hood. Original rumors had the Everest getting Ford's 6.2-liter Hurricane V8, but when that program died most speculation turned to the F-150's 5.4-liter V8 and possibly even a small displacement diesel power plant. The 300-hp, 5.4-liter looks to be the front-runner at this point, especially given Ford's stormy relationship with Navistar that resulted in the cancellation of a previous V6 diesel program. Some rumors have even suggested that Ford will go ahead and build a V6 diesel of its own, but nothing has been confirmed yet.

Look for the debut of the Everest at the 2006 North American International Auto Show.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

giant_mtb

I'm under the impression it's sort of like a bigger Sport Trac with a bed cover...?  :blink:  

ifcar

If you read the article, you'd find that it was an extended-length Expedition.

giant_mtb

QuoteIf you read the article, you'd find that it was an extended-length Expedition.
Oh I see.  But it's still the same idea as the Sport Trac, just bigger and with a cover?

ifcar

What does the Sport Trac have to do with it? It's just an extended Expedition, like what the Suburban is to the Tahoe.

giant_mtb

Well I don't know...it appears to have a truck bed.  Which is ST-esque...

BMWDave

QuoteWell I don't know...it appears to have a truck bed.  Which is ST-esque...
The camoflauge makes you think it has a truck bed...although I believe its a regular SUV in disguise.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

ifcar

I don't know what you're talking about. It's an SUV with cladding on the back.

giant_mtb

Ahh...nevermind.  I get confused easily.  <_<  

TBR

"especially given Ford's stormy relationship with Navistar that resulted in the cancellation of a previous V6 diesel program"

Wrong, the V6 diesel from navistar is still alive and kicking in Ford's medium duty flatnose trucks. Also, the 6.2l wasn't canceled, only the high output version. I also think that a solid axle would be a better idea as it would still be possible to package a fold flat 3rd row (Dodge has managed to do it twice)  and it would be stronger for towing.