Rabbit Upgraded for 2008 MY

Started by SJ_GTI, March 19, 2007, 08:45:35 AM

SJ_GTI

According to a couple of the sales guys over on VWVortex, the Rabbit will be upgraded for MY 2008 (production starts in June 2007). The engine will go from 150 HP and 170 lb-ft of torque to 170 HP and 177 lb-ft of torque. The name will be changed to "Rabbit S" to denote the upgrade, and apparantly the "base" engine will no longer be offerred. Pricing hasn't been announced yet, so no idea if this means higher prices or not.

Payman

Rabbits.  :rolleyes:

93JC

VW has no clue what it's doing anymore.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: 93JC on March 19, 2007, 08:56:36 AM
VW has no clue what it's doing anymore.

Yeah, because adding 20 HP is bad.  :confused:

93JC

Yeah, it is, actually.

What they should be doing is dropping the 5-cylinder altogether in favour of a naturally aspirated version of the 2.0T engine, and correspondingly dropping the base price a touch.

the Teuton

I think he's referring to the naming structure and the fact that the little "S" on the back of the car is just going to add to the cost of an already expensive compact car.  VW management needs to be fixed.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

TheIntrepid

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

nickdrinkwater

They should call it Golf.  They could bring in something smaller and cheaper as the Rabbit.

SJ_GTI

I don't know that it will actually get an "S" badge or anything like that. I think its just a way to label their option packages. Most manufactuers do that.  :huh:

If you think adding power to the car is a bad thing you are welcome to your opinion. I do disagree though.

SVT666

VW used to be the "Car of the people".  That is becoming less and less true all the time.

Payman

I love the new Golf. I owned 2 older ones. I refuse to call it a fucking "Rabbit".

SJ_GTI

Quote from: HEMI666 on March 19, 2007, 12:56:13 PM
VW used to be the "Car of the people".? That is becoming less and less true all the time.

Trying to figure out what that has to do with the Rabbit getting an extra 20 HP... :huh:

Vinsanity

Quote from: SJ_GTI on March 19, 2007, 02:07:46 PM
Trying to figure out what that has to do with the Rabbit getting an extra 20 HP... :huh:

I agree with Hemi666, but it doesn't have as much to do with the extra hp as it does with the implication of the increased base price.

a brand whose name literally translates to "people's car" should be price-competitive with Hondas and Fords, not Acuras and Volvos

Payman

Quote from: Vinsanity on March 19, 2007, 02:15:37 PM
I agree with Hemi666, but it doesn't have as much to do with the extra hp as it does with the implication of the increased base price.

a brand whose name literally translates to "people's car" should be price-competitive with Hondas and Fords, not Acuras and Volvos

I disagree. Volkswagen is a premium "People's Car" company now. I look at the Golf (ugh, Rabbit) as slotting between a Civic/Corolla and an A4/3 series/C class.

93JC

Coincidentally their move to 'premium-mainstream' shoved profits and sales deep, deep down the shitter.

SJ_GTI

Price changes weren't announced though. I wouldn't be surprised to see some increase, but nothing out of the ordinary YoY.

The 2-door Rabbit is not all that expensive BTW. It starts at ~15k.

Payman

Quote from: 93JC on March 19, 2007, 02:28:12 PM
Coincidentally their move to 'premium-mainstream' shoved profits and sales deep, deep down the shitter.

What hurt them is trying to go too far upscale with the Phaeton. Golfs, Jettas and Passats are still solid global sellers.

280Z Turbo

Also remember that the Euro and British pound are kicking the US dollar's ass.

My main problem is that it is a 3100 lb compact hatchback. Why would I want that?

Also, if VW is upscale, what the hell does Audi do?

Payman

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on March 19, 2007, 05:23:10 PM
Also remember that the Euro and British pound are kicking the US dollar's ass.

My main problem is that it is a 3100 lb compact hatchback. Why would I want that?

Also, if VW is upscale, what the hell does Audi do?

Yes, it's heavy. That's because it's built like a vault, and feels it at 120 mph. I said, IMHO, that the Golf, errr Rabbit, slots between the small eco cars and more upscale ones, like the Audi.

Raza

Quote from: 93JC on March 19, 2007, 09:24:50 AM
Yeah, it is, actually.

What they should be doing is dropping the 5-cylinder altogether in favour of a naturally aspirated version of the 2.0T engine, and correspondingly dropping the base price a touch.

That's terribly wrong.  They should drop the 5 cylinder altogether in favor of a detuned 2.0T (or 1.8T, if that's still viable) and the 1.4 Twincharger.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

WookieOnRitalin

Quote from: Raza  on March 19, 2007, 05:44:03 PM
That's terribly wrong.  They should drop the 5 cylinder altogether in favor of a detuned 2.0T (or 1.8T, if that's still viable) and the 1.4 Twincharger.

+1.

The 1.8T is a nice engine in of itself.

Does the increase in hp mean a drop in mileage estimates?
1989 Mazda 929
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2010 Saab 9-3
2012 Suzuki Kizashi
2015 Mazda3

1987 Nissan Maxima GXE
2006 Subaru Baja Turbo

S204STi

SJ_GTI

The Rabbit doesn't weigh 3100 lbs, the 2-door Rabbit weighs 2772 lbs (2858 for the 4-door) vs 2780 for a Mazda 3i, 2991 for a Cobalt LS Coupe, or 2657 for a Civic LX Coupe.

The Rabbit certainly isn't light, but its not as rediculously heavy as you guys try and make it out to be.

And while the "twincharger" engine sounds interesting, the only review I've seen of it wasn't too freindly, and its only advantage over the 2.5i will be gas mileage (maybe), and it would probably cost just as much as a 2.0T.

Raza

Quote from: SJ_GTI on March 20, 2007, 06:38:25 AM
The Rabbit doesn't weigh 3100 lbs, the 2-door Rabbit weighs 2772 lbs (2858 for the 4-door) vs 2780 for a Mazda 3i, 2991 for a Cobalt LS Coupe, or 2657 for a Civic LX Coupe.

The Rabbit certainly isn't light, but its not as rediculously heavy as you guys try and make it out to be.

And while the "twincharger" engine sounds interesting, the only review I've seen of it wasn't too freindly, and its only advantage over the 2.5i will be gas mileage (maybe), and it would probably cost just as much as a 2.0T.

The Golf GT does 0-60 in about 7 and a half seconds and gets great gas mileage, and in the UK it costs less than the GTI. 

But the Rabbit only weighs 2700 pounds?  That's not bad.  Civics weigh that now.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=8195.msg391838#msg391838 date=1174395192
The Golf GT does 0-60 in about 7 and a half seconds and gets great gas mileage, and in the UK it costs less than the GTI.?

But the Rabbit only weighs 2700 pounds?? That's not bad.? Civics weigh that now.

The Rabbit weighs around 2800 lbs depending on trim.

A Golf "S" (which will probably be the equipment package equivalent of our new Rabbit "S") costs 12.1k GBP. The Golf GT costs 18.2k GBP. The GTI costs 20.6k GBP.

Now I realize every market gets its own pricing schemes, but obviously the Golf GT is priced closer to a GTI ( 2.4k difference) than a standard Golf (6.1k difference).

So would I personally rather have the 1.4 TSI over the 2.5i is they were priced exactly the same? Sure. But, to me at least, the 2.5i holds a clear cost advantage. If VW decided to sell a "Rabbit GT" it would probably be around 20k USD (since the Rabbit is 15k and the GTI is 22.5k). So is the 1.4TSI 5k better than the 2.5i? Personally, I'd say no its probably not, at least from a practical POV (ie: you won't save nearly enough in fuel to justify the cost difference).

Raza

That's why I said bring over two engines.  Sell the Twincharger as a bridge between the standard car and the GTI.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TheIntrepid

Isn't the GTI a bridge between the Rabbit and teh R32?

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i