Spyshots of a PRODUCTION BMW 1-series coupe

Started by LonghornTX, March 21, 2007, 06:06:54 PM

LonghornTX

Check it out.  You cannot see a whole lot, but you can start to tell how the shape of the car is going to turn out.  Look for the tail lights to resemble the E46 lights.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/spied-bmw-1-series-coupe.html#more-4750

A 135i is almost 100% confirmed from the beginning.  Look for an official release of images in May....
Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week.

LonghornTX

TheIntrepid

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

Raza

Now that is a BMW I would buy, even though I'd prefer the 3 door hatch.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Minpin

WTF? It looks like BMW just cut a random ass piece of sheet metal and slapped it on the back and called it a rear bumper....
?Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!?

Catman

I don't like the curve at the base of the door, it's too pronounced.  Not bad though.

the Teuton

The rear bumper is really huge, but other than that, I really like it.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Raghavan

Minpin

Quote from: Raghavan on March 21, 2007, 07:16:18 PM
I like what i see so far.

If you like the ass ugly bumper....I guess its not too bad, you cant see it when youre driving. Only every other person on the road sees the huge "bumper".
?Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!?

Secret Chimp

Eh, it's still expensive for a teeny car. I'd buy a Cooper S if I wanted an expensive teeny car, or just spend the same money on an older 3-series if I wanted a "cheap" BMW.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: Secret Chimp on March 21, 2007, 07:25:24 PM
Eh, it's still expensive for a teeny car. I'd buy a Cooper S if I wanted an expensive teeny car, or just spend the same money on an older 3-series if I wanted a "cheap" BMW.

See sig.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

sandertheshark

I think I love it.  The bumper doesn't look bad really.

Tave

Those pics aren't working for me.

And wow, this might be the only BMW design I don't like. I think it's hideous.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

mazda6er

The fact that I could probably afford this straight out of college excites me. The prospect of driving what will undoubtedly become the most poser-rific bimmer in existence, however, does not. Winter probably won't be too great either, based on what I can only imagine will be a somewhat light weight.
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

ro51092

Tave

Quote from: mazda6er on March 21, 2007, 09:28:11 PM
The fact that I could probably afford this straight out of college excites me. The prospect of driving what will undoubtedly become the most poser-rific bimmer in existence, however, does not. Winter probably won't be too great either, based on what I can only imagine will be a somewhat light weight.

??????????????????????????????????????????  :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

I've always been under the impression that less weight in snow is a good thing. My friend could drive his little Festiva around town when everything else was shut down.

I don't think the 1-series is particularly light. Someone mentioned that it's actually a heavy car for its size. I think they said it was over 3000 pounds.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

mazda6er

Quote from: Tave on March 21, 2007, 09:59:36 PM

??????????????????????????????????????????  :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

I've always been under the impression that less weight in snow is a good thing. My friend could drive his little Festiva around town when everything else was shut down.

I don't think the 1-series is particularly light. Someone mentioned that it's actually a heavy car for its size. I think they said it was over 3000 pounds.
Well, most Festivas aren't RWD, last I checked. ;) For instance, what would you rather drive in the snow: a Crown Vic or an Elise? Now you know.

You're probably entirely correct that it will not be as light as most cars its size, however.
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

LonghornTX

Personally, I love it so far.  Look for the coupe with a N52/N53 to be 3000-3100lbs and the N54 to be another 250lbs more.  Talk is that the coupe will provide an even sharper ride/handling combination than the current hatchbacks, through what means though, I do not know.

Tave

Quote from: mazda6er on March 21, 2007, 10:07:03 PM
Well, most Festivas aren't RWD, last I checked. ;) For instance, what would you rather drive in the snow: a Crown Vic or an Elise? Now you know.

You're probably entirely correct that it will not be as light as most cars its size, however.

Well that's not a good example either. The Elise has a high power-to-weight ratio, and you don't want a high horsepower car in the snow, period, regardless of which wheels are being driven.

Let's do a thought experiment:

2 cars with the same brakes are driving down an icy road. One weighs 5000 pounds and the other weighs 2000. They are both going the same speed. Which will be easier to stop?

A better example would be, would you rather drive a crown vic in the snow or an RX-8? Would you rather drive a S550 or a BMW 335? An Audi A8 or an A4? I'd take the lighter car every time.

I can't get the image out of my head of driving around in my buddies '69 Camaro in January, approaching a stop sign, and then suddenly being pointed in the opposite direction.

I'm a lot more worried about stopping in snow than I am about putting power on the ground.

850CSi

When you posted the first sest of pics back in early Feb. 2007, this is what I said:

Quote from: 850CSi on February 04, 2007, 11:03:23 PM
I'm getting a headache trying to imagine how it's possible to pull that C-Pillar off without making it look like crap.

I was right. It looks like the E46 3er compact, which was fugly IMO. I'm sure it'll be fun as hell to drive, but at this point I'd much rather have a 3-door 1-Series (which we don't get) or an A3.

ro51092

850CSi

Quote from: ro51092 on March 21, 2007, 10:25:15 PM
I'd rather have a GTI than an A3.

GTI doesn't really compete with the 1-Series.

With that said, I think I would also take a GTI over an A3.

mazda6er

Quote from: Tave on March 21, 2007, 10:18:32 PM
Well that's not a good example either. The Elise has a high power-to-weight ratio, and you don't want a high horsepower car in the snow, period, regardless of which wheels are being driven.

Let's do a thought experiment:

2 cars with the same brakes are driving down an icy road. One weighs 5000 pounds and the other weighs 2000. They are both going the same speed. Which will be easier to stop?

A better example would be, would you rather drive a crown vic in the snow or an RX-8? Would you rather drive a S550 or a BMW 335? An Audi A8 or an A4? I'd take the lighter car every time.

I can't get the image out of my head of driving around in my buddies '69 Camaro in January, approaching a stop sign, and then suddenly being pointed in the opposite direction.

I'm a lot more worried about stopping in snow than I am about putting power on the ground.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friction#Classical_approximation
:ohyeah:
--Mark

Tave

LonghornTX

Quote from: 850CSi on March 21, 2007, 10:22:58 PM
When you posted the first sest of pics back in early Feb. 2007, this is what I said:

I was right. It looks like the E46 3er compact, which was fugly IMO. I'm sure it'll be fun as hell to drive, but at this point I'd much rather have a 3-door 1-Series (which we don't get) or an A3.
Granted we are working with rather limited photo evidence, but what makes you think this looks like the compact?  I am curious......

mazda6er

Quote from: Tave on March 21, 2007, 10:38:32 PM
Err, thanks, but I'm not sure what you're getting at.
Normal force. The amount of force being exerted by the ground on a given object, which is in direct proportion to the weight of that object. The greater the normal force (aka the more the object weighs) the greater the friction. Friction helps you start, stop, and remain in controlled contact with an object.
--Mark

MexicoCityM3

The 1 series are probably the best driving and best balanced BMW cars today. I like the hatch a lot. I'll reserve my opinion on this coupe till its undisguised, but it seems nice for now.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Raza

Quote from: 850CSi on March 21, 2007, 10:30:34 PM
GTI doesn't really compete with the 1-Series.

With that said, I think I would also take a GTI over an A3.

:confused:

Everyone pits the 1 series with the the Golf line.  All the way up from the smallest engine to the 130i (compared to the R32).

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Tave

Quote from: mazda6er on March 21, 2007, 10:42:42 PM
Normal force. The amount of force being exerted by the ground on a given object, which is in direct proportion to the weight of that object. The greater the normal force (aka the more the object weighs) the greater the friction. Friction helps you start, stop, and remain in controlled contact with an object.

So a heavier vehicle is easier to stop, simply because it generates more friction with the ground? I don't think so.

Apply my model to dry road conditions. 2 cars with the same size brakes and same size tires are traveling at the same speed. One weighs 5000 lbs and the other 2000. If both drivers apply the same force to their brakes, at the same time, which will stop sooner?

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=8226.msg393915#msg393915 date=1174538891
:confused:

Everyone pits the 1 series with the the Golf line.? All the way up from the smallest engine to the 130i (compared to the R32).

Yeah, though I believe the A3 is a closer competitor (its a Golf anyway :tounge:).
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)