Why don't we get this Ranger?

Started by 280Z Turbo, March 23, 2007, 07:33:03 PM

280Z Turbo

I noticed the ads for the new Ranger while flipping through Top Gear magazine.

http://ford.co.uk/ie/ranger/-/rgr_0608_introd/-/-/-/-

WTF? Why does truck-loving America get stuck with the 1983 Ranger while the truck haters in Europe get this!

ifcar

GM has had so many problems with its trucks designed for foreign markets and sold here that I wouldn't assume Ford's European Ranger does what Americans want.

Raghavan

I don't see anything wrong with that truck though... plus anything is better than the Ranger we have now.

280Z Turbo

Just look at the interior on that truck compared to the American one, which is basically the same as a 1995 Ranger.

TheIntrepid

Can you get Top Gear magazine in North America? :confused:

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

Raghavan

Yeah, but it's rediculously expesive.

280Z Turbo

I got mine at Schuler's Books, but you can also get them at Barnes & Noble.

ifcar

Quote from: Raghavan on March 23, 2007, 07:41:22 PM
I don't see anything wrong with that truck though... plus anything is better than the Ranger we have now.

What can you tell from a picture?

And in some ways, the Colorado/Canyon is worse than the trucks it replaced, but in 2003 who would say that the S-10/Sonoma was a good truck?

ifcar

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on March 23, 2007, 07:47:43 PM
Just look at the interior on that truck compared to the American one, which is basically the same as a 1995 Ranger.

So the interior appearance is the most important aspect of a compact pickup truck?

Soup DeVille

Quote from: ifcar on March 23, 2007, 08:01:06 PM

Well, I do see a picture of one with a bed full of logs, and it isn't dragging its rear around like a yellow lab with an itchy butt.

Try that in one of "our" Rangers.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

the Teuton

I think it would make a great update here.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

chevyguy06

Who would say that the S-10/Sonoma was a good truck?

Other than their durability? No.
'05 Ford Escape XLT V6

ifcar

Quote from: Soup DeVille on March 23, 2007, 08:05:34 PM
Well, I do see a picture of one with a bed full of logs, and it isn't dragging its rear around like a yellow lab with an itchy butt.

Pickup loads in US ads are generally exaggerated, either with lighter-than-appearance materials, or just a visible layer above a support. I'd be surprised if that wasn't the case here.

JWC

Looks like the same version that South America gets.  I don't know what the pictured truck has, but SA get a V6 diesel.

From what I've read, Ford fears that instead of expanding their market, a V6 diesel powered, crew cab, Ranger would hurt their full-size truck sales.

Pancor

GVM? ? ? (highest) Euro Truck:? ?3070 kg
GCWR? ?(highest) N/A Truck:? ? ?2722 kg

Gross Vehicle Mass and Gross Combined Weight Rating are the exact same rating as far as I can tell, basically how much weight can actually be riding on the trucks four tires.?

The max towing capacity of the Euro truck is listed at 3000kg, compared the Canadian trucks 2730kg.? ?

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: JWC on March 24, 2007, 07:09:38 AM
Looks like the same version that South America gets.? I don't know what the pictured truck has, but SA get a V6 diesel.

From what I've read, Ford fears that instead of expanding their market, a V6 diesel powered, crew cab, Ranger would hurt their full-size truck sales.

So they've been ignoring the Ranger for the past twenty years just to inflate their F-150 sales? It's all coming together now, oh I hate you Ford! :rage:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

TheIntrepid

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

chevyguy06

Atleast with that Ranger, Ford could compete in the crew cab segment :huh:
'05 Ford Escape XLT V6

Galaxy

Quote from: ifcar on March 24, 2007, 05:58:59 AM
Pickup loads in US ads are generally exaggerated, either with lighter-than-appearance materials, or just a visible layer above a support. I'd be surprised if that wasn't the case here.

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2006:376:0021:01:EN:HTML

Directive 2006/114/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council

of 12 December 2006

concerning misleading and comparative advertising

Article 2

(b) "misleading advertising" means any advertising which in any way, including its presentation, deceives or is likely to deceive the persons to whom it is addressed or whom it reaches and which, by reason of its deceptive nature, is likely to affect their economic behaviour or which, for those reasons, injures or is likely to injure a competitor;

Article 3

In determining whether advertising is misleading, account shall be taken of all its features, and in particular of any information it contains concerning:

(a) the characteristics of goods or services, such as their availability, nature, execution, composition, method and date of manufacture or provision, fitness for purpose, uses, quantity, specification, geographical or commercial origin or the results to be expected from their use, or the results and material features of tests or checks carried out on the goods or services;

Then again you may still be right.

S204STi

And in some ways, the Colorado/Canyon is worse than the trucks it replaced, but in 2003 who would say that the S-10/Sonoma was a good truck?

About the most lucid point you've ever made.  :ohyeah:

nickdrinkwater

Actually, funny you should post this.  I didn't realise there was a different Ranger in the US - I spotted one on the street the other week, and I remember wondering why people on CarSPIN had been slating the Ranger, as it looked quite smart.

Now I realise!

omicron

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on March 24, 2007, 06:50:01 PM
Actually, funny you should post this. I didn't realise there was a different Ranger in the US - I spotted one on the street the other week, and I remember wondering why people on CarSPIN had been slating the Ranger, as it looked quite smart.

Now I realise!

Same. I wasn't quite sure why everyone was all 'OH, this RANGER is a POS', especially with a new model launched recently. I have been enlightened.

SVT666

Quote from: Soup DeVille on March 23, 2007, 08:05:34 PM

Been there, done that.  It does a fine job. :rolleyes:

SVT666

Quote from: Galaxy on March 24, 2007, 04:52:09 PM
http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2006:376:0021:01:EN:HTML

Directive 2006/114/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council

of 12 December 2006

concerning misleading and comparative advertising

Article 2

(b) "misleading advertising" means any advertising which in any way, including its presentation, deceives or is likely to deceive the persons to whom it is addressed or whom it reaches and which, by reason of its deceptive nature, is likely to affect their economic behaviour or which, for those reasons, injures or is likely to injure a competitor;

Article 3

In determining whether advertising is misleading, account shall be taken of all its features, and in particular of any information it contains concerning:

(a) the characteristics of goods or services, such as their availability, nature, execution, composition, method and date of manufacture or provision, fitness for purpose, uses, quantity, specification, geographical or commercial origin or the results to be expected from their use, or the results and material features of tests or checks carried out on the goods or services;

Then again you may still be right.

He is.  Take a look at the latest Ford SuperDuty ad that shows all the concrete mix in the box.  The ass end of that truck should be dragging on the ground, but yet the truck looks like it's got an empty box.

Galaxy

Quote from: HEMI666 on March 25, 2007, 02:28:33 PM
He is. Take a look at the latest Ford SuperDuty ad that shows all the concrete mix in the box. The ass end of that truck should be dragging on the ground, but yet the truck looks like it's got an empty box.

The Super Duty is sold in Europe? As a grey market vehicle only I think. I saw one at a riding stable once. However I have never seen any ads for it here except a few text ads from import companies in auto mags.

Onslaught

They need to do something. I work on the current one and I think it's one of the piss poor trucks built in a long time. Ride is horrible, build quality sucks, and if you get hit in a little wreck the frame gets bent all to hell and is difficult to ever get "right" again. Not that you could find anything measuring correct on a brand new one that's right off the delivery truck.

Danish

Quote from: Lebowski on December 17, 2008, 05:46:10 PM
No advice can be worse than Coug's, in any thread, ever.

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: Galaxy on March 25, 2007, 03:40:54 PM
The Super Duty is sold in Europe? As a grey market vehicle only I think. I saw one at a riding stable once. However I have never seen any ads for it here except a few text ads from import companies in auto mags.

I've not seen one before.  I seen a few F150s and a lot of Dodge RAMs though.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: HEMI666 on March 25, 2007, 02:26:20 PM
Been there, done that.? It does a fine job. :rolleyes:

Having owned two of them, I beg to differ.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Raghavan