Wheelwell paint

Started by giant_mtb, March 24, 2007, 03:32:30 PM

giant_mtb

Well, my car is, in fact, 10 years old and for its age compared to other cars I've seen of the same age, the paint is in excellent condition.  The car had never been driven in the winter until two years ago, so this winter was its third winter.  It has taken its toll on the paint, and just general wear and tear has, as well.

My question is about the inside of my wheelwells.  I'm noticing that the paint is chipping/rusting off of those areas, and I'd really like to do something about it before it spreads out onto the rest of the car.  What are my options?  Should I get some of that touch-up paint?  Color is not all that much of an issue, since it's not a highly looked at area of the car.  Should I sand away as much rust/peeling paint as possible (without being noticeable) and paint over some fresh metal?  With Rust-Oleum or whatever that rust-inhibiting paint is?

I don't really know what to do.

And just for fun...

The Stable...all freshly washed and vac'd...

ro51092

I know jack about paint, but don't you guys also have a G35 Coupe?

S204STi

I think your best bet to actually stop the rust from spreading is to sand down to the rust, hit it was a rust coverter/primer, get good colormatching automotive paint, such as Napa's Martin Senour, and a clearcoat, and try your best to blend it into the old stuff.  That's what I did with my old Subaru, and if I had bothered to clearcoat it you would never be able to tell without close scrutiny that I had painted it.  Unfortunately I didn't clearcoat it and the waxes and chemicals I used later on made that spot stand out just a bit after a good cleaning.

giant_mtb

Quote from: ro51092 on March 24, 2007, 05:49:36 PM
I know jack about paint, but don't you guys also have a G35 Coupe?

Yes...it's my brother's and he lives downstate at school...so that car is there.  Sadly.  lol

giant_mtb

Quote from: R-inge on March 24, 2007, 06:06:51 PM
I think your best bet to actually stop the rust from spreading is to sand down to the rust, hit it was a rust coverter/primer, get good colormatching automotive paint, such as Napa's Martin Senour, and a clearcoat, and try your best to blend it into the old stuff. That's what I did with my old Subaru, and if I had bothered to clearcoat it you would never be able to tell without close scrutiny that I had painted it. Unfortunately I didn't clearcoat it and the waxes and chemicals I used later on made that spot stand out just a bit after a good cleaning.

That sounds simple enough, but it's probably easier said than done.  Now, would both the paint and the clearcoat be just brush-on things?  I don't have a spray gun and definitely don't feel like paying someone to do it for me...  Also, what kind of sanding should I do?  Just take some coarse paper and sand 'er down, or what?

JWC

On my past VW's, I always took out the rust, primiered it with a rust killing primer,  and then spray undercoating inside the wheel wells. 

Leaves a nice black finish insde the fenders.

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: JWC on March 24, 2007, 11:57:44 PM
On my past VW's, I always took out the rust, primiered it with a rust killing primer, and then spray undercoating inside the wheel wells.

Leaves a nice black finish insde the fenders.

I've been doing that on the Accord as well. I just tape off the exterior panel and paint that entire lip with black primer. It doesn't stand out because originally it had a black rubber trim piece around the opening.
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

S204STi

Quote from: giant_mtb on March 24, 2007, 10:56:56 PM
That sounds simple enough, but it's probably easier said than done.? Now, would both the paint and the clearcoat be just brush-on things?? I don't have a spray gun and definitely don't feel like paying someone to do it for me...? Also, what kind of sanding should I do?? Just take some coarse paper and sand 'er down, or what?

No, it is all rattle-can for the best DIY results short of a paint-booth.

Go get a book on painting, and though it will seem daunting the info in there will likely help you.

Besides, everyone starts out not knowing what's going on.  Give it a shot in an inconspicous area first to try it, and if you don't feel comfortable with the rest of the car then stop at that.

giant_mtb

Quote from: R-inge on March 25, 2007, 01:29:34 PM
No, it is all rattle-can for the best DIY results short of a paint-booth.

Go get a book on painting, and though it will seem daunting the info in there will likely help you.

Besides, everyone starts out not knowing what's going on. Give it a shot in an inconspicous area first to try it, and if you don't feel comfortable with the rest of the car then stop at that.

Sounds good, thanks!

Secret Chimp

I bought this great rust-dissolver stuff back when I first got my car. It's bright pink gel; I swabbed it on with a q-tip and it turned all of my surface rust into black, easily-removeable chalky stuff. Then I used some 3M sanding blocks I got from a local Meijer to find bare metal, and brushed on some spray-can car primer I sprayed into an old yogurt tub (hey, I didn't want to bother masking :P)

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

giant_mtb

Well, because of the not-so-good weather conditions and low temperatures, I don't want to do anything major yet, but I went ahead and put on some Rust-Oleum "Protective Enamel" in flat black that is supposed to stop rust and, obviously, be protective.  My overall plan was to put on some spray-can rust converter/primer, hit it with this protective enamel, then (maybe) put some of that 3M "rubberized" wheelwell paint.

But, the directions on the primer and the enamel say to use in temperatures above 50 degrees, and it's about 35-40 right now, so I just put on the protective enamel for now to just temporarily stop the spread of the chipping/rusting (it's getting very close to the outside in some spots) for now until it warms up and I can do some real sanding and priming.  It doesn't look bad, either, it looks normal.  It's just...black.

Will put up pics when I'm done completely with my "masterpiece".  :huh: :tounge:

Eye of the Tiger

I've been meaning to try this stuff... it's supposed to be the best:

http://www.por15.com/
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

giant_mtb

Quote from: NACar on April 10, 2007, 06:07:58 PM
I've been meaning to try this stuff... it's supposed to be the best:

http://www.por15.com/

I sure hope it is for the prices they're asking...

25 bucks for a 15 oz. spray can of primer?  Bah.

Thanks for the suggestion, of course...it's interesting to read that stuff.

The Pirate

Quote from: Secret Chimp on March 25, 2007, 09:17:01 PM
I bought this great rust-dissolver stuff back when I first got my car. It's bright pink gel; I swabbed it on with a q-tip and it turned all of my surface rust into black, easily-removeable chalky stuff. Then I used some 3M sanding blocks I got from a local Meijer to find bare metal, and brushed on some spray-can car primer I sprayed into an old yogurt tub (hey, I didn't want to bother masking :P)

Was it the rust-dissolver stuff naval jelly?  I need to touch up one of my wheelwells soon as the weather changes.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: The Pirate on April 10, 2007, 06:24:31 PM

Was it the rust-dissolver stuff naval jelly?? I need to touch up one of my wheelwells soon as the weather changes.

Go to eastwoodco.com, their rust converter works very well.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator