2006 Subaru Forester

Started by BMWDave, June 15, 2005, 10:58:22 AM

BMWDave

Link

2006 Subaru Forester
For the Trees: Every Forester plays an important role in the bigger Subaru picture
NATALIE NEFF
Published Date: 6/13/05
2006 SUBARU FORESTER 2.5X
ON SALE: Summer
BASE PRICE: $21,295 (est.)
POWERTRAIN: 2.5-liter, 173-hp, 166-lb-ft H4; awd, five-speed manual
CURB WEIGHT: 3000 lbs (est.)
0 TO 60 MPH: 7.0 seconds (est.)

They shadow us through the parking lot as we search for a spot, not quite as ominously as black helicopt?ers might, but paranoia is beginning to set in nonetheless. Every glance out the side window meets with an older, serious-looking couple staring back at us?from behind dark sunglasses, no less.

This half-mile-an-hour stalking works its way across the lot and ends when the Ray-Ban-clad driver jumps out and waves us down.

?We just bought an ?05 Forester,? he tells us excitedly. ?That?s a 2006 turbo, right??

?Yes, it is,? we answer.

?With 20 more horsepower and a half-inch more ground clearance??

?Uh, sure, something like that.? We bluff, embarrassed to let slip we haven?t quite committed to memory the details of our morning walk-around with Subaru?s engineering staff.

?I?ve already read all about it online,? he explains. (?Oh,? we think to ourselves, ?he?s one of them.?) ?May we look??

?Have at it,? we say, stepping back.

The couple proceeds to peer into the windows and circle the vehicle slowly, pointing at this and that and nodding to each other. These are determined folk, no doubt, with a keen interest in their subject, but clearly not governmental operatives. Just run-of-the-mill Subaru fans.

Call them the linchpin of the little Japanese automaker?s success, members of a customer base rabid in their loyalty to the brand, driven in no small part by an unabashed pride at being different?not unlike the philosophy that has helped shape Subaru?s own identity.

The details of this identity are manifest in every Subaru: Where other automakers rely on conventional engines of inline and V configurations, Subaru holds fiercely to its horizontally opposed engines; where others offer standard front-wheel drive, every Subaru enjoys power shuttled to all four wheels.

The Forester represents the first Subaru that directed this philosophy specifically at the sport/ute segment (even if the Forester feels more like a tall, square Legacy wagon than a trucklet). Subaru?s sole SUV until now (the B9 Tribeca, a true ute, just went on sale), the Forester has enjoyed the highest owner loyalty rating as measured by Polk for three years in a row, and four out of the last five.

As a mid-cycle refresh, little changes for 2006 with this successful Forester formula. Outside the vehicle dons revised fascias, including a new grille and lights all around. There are minor changes in trim pieces both in back and on the sides. Inside the rear seats get slightly longer seatbottoms and a fold-down armrest, while front passengers benefit from a longer center console-mounted armrest with storage. A security system is now standard.

All Forester models get a modest increase in power. Base 2.5X, 2.5X Premium and L.L.Bean models use the naturally aspirated 2.5-liter four, which now features a higher compression ratio, variable valve lift, a new intake manifold and equal-length exhaust runners for an 8-hp increase in output to 173 hp. The top-end Forester 2.5XT Limited, the sole turbo model, sees power climb to 230 hp, up 20 from the 2005 model, as a result of these improvements. All models except the L.L.Bean (automatic only) come with either a four-speed automatic or five-speed manual transmission.

Other changes include a slight suspension revision for a more comfortable ride, a more water-resistant cargo hold for L.L.Bean models and improved steering angle estimation by the all-wheel-drive system.

Then there is that half-inch increase in ride height, as our parking lot friend reminded us, or more specifically, 0.6 inch.

The success of the Forester surprised even the Subaru folks. They launched the little SUV alternative here in 1997, with a sales goal of 2000 units a month. Today that number stands at 5000.

Both the Legacy and Impreza models can tell similar stories, and while many have called the Baja a flop, Subaru says it is more than satisfied with the sales the sedan-cum-pickup is generating.

All these details add up: The big picture finds Subaru profiting from its healthiest position on these shores ever, following
two consecutive record sales years, including 187,402 units in 2004. But Subaru isn?t content with sitting still. The automaker says it will continue to be aggressive with sales targets, setting its sights on topping 209,000 for 2005. Subaru believes reaching this goal will depend not only on the addition of the Tribeca, but also largely on the continued success of the Forester.

?It?s a little bit aggressive,? admits Subaru of America president and CEO Kunio Ishigami of his company?s ambitions, ?but I believe we can achieve it. Sale of this Forester is key.?

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

TBR

I am still not too sure about the new styling, but everything else sounds good, especially the extra 8 hp for the na version. Though I do take issue with this comment:
"The Forester represents the first Subaru that directed this philosophy specifically at the sport/ute segment (even if the Forester feels more like a tall, square Legacy wagon than a trucklet). Subaru?s sole SUV until now (the B9 Tribeca, a true ute, just went on sale)"

They are implying that the B9 Tribeca is more than just tall, square Legacy wagon, which it isn't.  

ifcar

I am very disappointed with the new styling, the outgoing Forester (2003-2005) was a very attractive vehicle, and the new front end spoils that for no apparent reason.

TBR

QuoteI am very disappointed with the new styling, the outgoing Forester (2003-2005) was a very attractive vehicle, and the new front end spoils that for no apparent reason.
I think the new front end looks good, but I am undecided on whether or not it looks better than the old one. I will have to wait until I see it in person.