Ahh, the joys of owning a 149k mile car...

Started by ChrisV, March 30, 2007, 07:39:43 AM

ChrisV

So I've had the BMW for 3 months now, and have already had to replace the water pump, and I replaced the radiator and expansion tank and hoses just for preventive maintenance at this mileage. I started customizing it to personalize, with the clear corners, rear lip spoiler, and was looking at getting some OEM '01 taillights and doing the dual exhaust tips. But last night, the CEL lit up, so now the impending Peake reader purchase got moved up ahead of the fun stuff so I can diagnose and repair yet another part of the car. Fun. At least it waited until AFTER it's emissions testing to light up otherwise it wouldn't have passed...

Good thing its a beautiful cruiser or I'd be upset. I want it to last to at least 250k miles, so I guess constant repairs will be in order...
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

omicron

Ah, decade-old luxury cars. As you say, lucky she's a fine piece of ass or you'd be rather upset.

L. ed foote

At least when you're done with it, mechanically it'll be brand new  :lol:
Member, Self Preservation Society

S204STi

AutobahnSHO

The $$$$ you're saving in car payments should cover your repairs.  Then once those are done, you're scot-free!!!

Will

TheIntrepid

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

GoCougs

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on March 30, 2007, 07:14:07 PM
The $$$$ you're saving in car payments should cover your repairs.? Then once those are done, you're scot-free!!!

In my experience, it's never done...

JWC

Nope, its never done.

But...that's why you own an older vehicle.  There is, for some, joy in working on it. 

It is the same with the rusted out convertible I bought.  All my friends suggest getting rid of it.  Some on the VW forums suggest that any car with that much rust should be a candidate for parts, not restoration.

I see it as Frankenstein's monster. 

I can imagine the day that, with fresh paint, interior, and engine...I can scream..."IT'S ALIVE!"

280Z Turbo

This is just another reason why I got rid of my '87 9000 Turbo. European luxury cars get glitchy after 10 years or so.

The seat heaters didn't work, the digital dash readout quit, the speedometer was dead, the A/C system was empty, etc.

sportyaccordy

Older cars are great... IMO more gratifying to have running correctly as it's a constant struggle. I'm looking to buy another Accord in the same vintage of the one in my sig...

It must be hell with a BMW though. Was your 740 equipped with one of the V8s that had the cylinder lining recall?

ChrisV

No, that was the 4 liter up to '96. The 4.4 liters were nikasil and were fine. At least I got that going for me. ;) Actually, the CEL went off by itself the following day. I'm still getting the code reader so I can check it the next time it happens, as well as reset the service interval light now that it's reaching 150k miles. It's really not taking all that much to maintain it, and yes, the low cost offsets the repairs, though I was hoping to minimize the repairs by having researched the car thoroughly before buying. Driving it is certainly worth the moderate cost, however, and to get a $75k car for $7500, I can't really complain. :lol:

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: GoCougs on March 31, 2007, 01:49:44 PM
In my experience, it's never done...
I meant $$-wise.

Really if you do the preventative maintenance stuff every 3-6months, unless the tranny goes or whatever you don't have any really big payments anymore.  (Until you finally have to start fixing up another vehicle...)

And really I wish I could pay someone to fix mine.  I like being under it knowing how it all works and knowing for sure what needs done and what doesn't, (not trusting that a mechanic isn't ripping me off,) BUT by the time I get halfway into any job all excitement and joy is gone from my body......
Will

Onslaught

I'm starting to wonder when my car is going to start having problems. With almost 200K on her all I've done is a radiator and cam angle sensor gasket. Something has to die one day and then who knows what I'll do.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Onslaught on April 04, 2007, 07:52:34 PM
I'm starting to wonder when my car is going to start having problems. With almost 200K on her all I've done is a radiator and cam angle sensor gasket. Something has to die one day and then who knows what I'll do.
Save a little money up NOW, buy a repair manual, and start doing stuff that you know will go bad eventually.  Serpentine belt, spark plugs, etc...     Then work up to the waterpump, other stuff...
Will

Onslaught

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on April 04, 2007, 08:13:17 PM
Save a little money up NOW, buy a repair manual, and start doing stuff that you know will go bad eventually.? Serpentine belt, spark plugs, etc...? ? ?Then work up to the waterpump, other stuff...
I work on cars so I get my parts for free. :lol:
But after working on cars fro 5 days a week I don't want to work on my car anymore. It can suck working on cars because it kills the fun of doing your own stuff. If she starts having problems I'll kill her and get a new one.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Onslaught on April 04, 2007, 09:34:20 PM
I work on cars so I get my parts for free. :lol:
But after working on cars fro 5 days a week I don't want to work on my car anymore. It can suck working on cars because it kills the fun of doing your own stuff. If she starts having problems I'll kill her and get a new one.
I know what you mean.
My dad has every Microsoft or Cisco certification available, teaches, and maintains 2 computer labs plus the office computers at a community college.

And doesn't have (or at least didn't have for months and months) internet at home because his home computer crashed.  :huh:  :devil:
Will

ChrisV

Well, I got the code reader and it indicated that the cam position sensor was bad. $100 for the part at the dealer (after my 20% BMW club discount) and about a half hour's work and it's taken care of. If it remains this easy to take care of, I'm all set. Next up, brake pads, which I knew were going to be necessary soon before I even bought it.

ArchBishop

Quote from: ChrisV on April 13, 2007, 06:45:45 AM
Well, I got the code reader and it indicated that the cam position sensor was bad. $100 for the part at the dealer (after my 20% BMW club discount) and about a half hour's work and it's taken care of. If it remains this easy to take care of, I'm all set. Next up, brake pads, which I knew were going to be necessary soon before I even bought it.

Your Ecu could have been read at Autozone, or like for free...

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: ArchBishop on April 14, 2007, 04:16:08 PM
Your Ecu could have been read at Autozone, or like for free...
IF they have  a reader that works...  :huh:

Good deal on the sensor- my SHO sensor kept the car from starting.  it was only $40, but it took taking apart 2 MANUAL tension belts, and the big pulley that they connect to...   :banghead:  Quite a bit of work..
Will