Does the Mustang compete with FWD coupes?

Started by ifcar, April 01, 2007, 03:21:42 PM

Is the V6 automatic Mustang a competitor to FWD coupes like the Accord or Eclipse?

Yes
No

ifcar

I came across this same question at a poll on the GMI forums, and was rather surprised to see some 3/4 of the voters being opposed to the concept that a base Mustang could be cross-shopped against a FWD import. Is this a quirk of the die-hard domestic fans, or do others feel the same way?

Vote, CarSpin.

SVT666

Champ

Why not?  They all have similar numbers, 4 seats, similar prices (I think).  The only thing they don't share is drive wheels.

TheIntrepid

Yes.

Who the hell voted no? Does this mean the Avalon and Impala don't compete with the 3.5 Charger?

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

280Z Turbo

I'd say it at least competes with the FWD Monte Carlo.

The Pirate

C/D did a comparo of a Mustang vs. a Monte Carlo SS and a Stratus R/T a few years ago (2002 or so).  I'd say yes, they are cross shopped. 
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

SVT_Power

"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Eye of the Tiger

Although it was compared to the Stratus, I do not think a Mustang is comparable to an Avenger.

One is a fighter with six machine guns in the wings:

And one is a torpedo bomber:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Raza

They perform the same function at a similar price.  On a broad market spectrum, of course they compete.  When you talk about market fractions, then no, they do not.  But mostly yes.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Onslaught

This is a yes and no thing. The majority of the people would cross shop these cars and I know people who have.
But I also know a smaller number of people who would never buy a domestic muscle car. And others that would never buy a FWD import or import of any kind.

SVT666

If the Mustang V6 does NOT compete with FWD 2 doors, then what does it compete with?  Exactly.  It has to or else it has no competition.  There are no other 2 door V6 RWD sporty cars with the same kind of performance and price.

goldenlover1101

I have to be honest, I voted no. I think it competes with the RX-8 and 350Z mainly which are RWD. Also the upcoming Camaro and Challenger. I think that a Mustang may be cross-shopped occassionally with a Eclipse or Tiburon but that is not its main competition. The Eclipse/Tiburon/Si/GTi/MS3 Compete against each other and I just don't see that as  Mustang territory.

"The more people I meet the more I like my dog."

Onslaught

Quote from: goldenlover1101 on April 01, 2007, 08:19:49 PM
I have to be honest, I voted no. I think it competes with the RX-8 and 350Z mainly which are RWD. Also the upcoming Camaro and Challenger. I think that a Mustang may be cross-shopped occassionally with a Eclipse or Tiburon but that is not its main competition. The Eclipse/Tiburon/Si/GTi/MS3 Compete against each other and I just don't see that as? Mustang territory.
I don't think the V6 auto Mustang is a competitor to the RX-8 or Z.

sandertheshark

are you talking about competing in the showroom or on the track?

Raza

Quote from: sandertheshark on April 01, 2007, 08:37:01 PM

Cross shopping/in the market.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Onslaught

Quote from: sandertheshark on April 01, 2007, 08:37:01 PM
I took it as showroom.

goldenlover1101

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=8392.msg403806#msg403806 date=1175481615
Cross shopping/in the market.
I thought we were referring to market. Why doesn't the Mustang compete with the RX-8 and 350z? The GT does. Honestly, I don't think the V-6 Mustang has any real competition right now. The V-6 Camaro will be dead on and V-6 Challenger (If on happens) will also. I just don't think people in a Honda dealership looking at the Si or a customer in the Mistubishi Showroom looking at an eclipse will say "Hey, I think a Mustang is right up my alley."

Raza

Quote from: goldenlover1101 on April 01, 2007, 09:09:05 PM
I thought we were referring to market. Why doesn't the Mustang compete with the RX-8 and 350z? The GT does. Honestly, I don't think the V-6 Mustang has any real competition right now. The V-6 Camaro will be dead on and V-6 Challenger (If on happens) will also. I just don't think people in a Honda dealership looking at the Si or a customer in the Mistubishi Showroom looking at an eclipse will say "Hey, I think a Mustang is right up my alley."

He said specifically the V6 Mustang with an automatic.  To me, if that's the route you're going, then you'd be just as happy with an Eclipse or the like.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

SVT666

Quote from: goldenlover1101 on April 01, 2007, 09:09:05 PM
I thought we were referring to market. Why doesn't the Mustang compete with the RX-8 and 350z? The GT does.
Umm.  The RX-8 and 350Z are direct competitors to the GT, how in the world could they possibly be competitors to a V6 Mustang?

goldenlover1101

The Eclipse might be viable, but an accord coupe (Si Also) seems very far fetched as they are a coupe version of a sedan so they are much more cruiser oriented. A Mustang is more a power toy to show off and enjoy. Im sorry, I just think the Mustang enjoys its own category, an affordable RWD V-6/V-8 coupe with American styling and fun handling. I see it competing more with a base Charger/300. BTW, I am not the only one who voted no so I don't know if anyone agrees with me or if I am just babbling on like a chimpanzee.

Raza

Quote from: goldenlover1101 on April 01, 2007, 09:28:01 PM
The Eclipse might be viable, but an accord coupe (Si Also) seems very far fetched as they are a coupe version of a sedan so they are much more cruiser oriented. A Mustang is more a power toy to show off and enjoy. Im sorry, I just think the Mustang enjoys its own category, an affordable RWD V-6/V-8 coupe with American styling and fun handling. I see it competing more with a base Charger/300. BTW, I am not the only one who voted no so I don't know if anyone agrees with me or if I am just babbling on like a chimpanzee.

Yeah, but if you're talking the V6 automatic, you're not getting the same power as the GT, and you're also not getting an excellent cruiser.  I mean, I sure as hell would buy a Civic Si over a V6 Mustang.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

goldenlover1101

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=8392.msg403892#msg403892 date=1175484794
Yeah, but if you're talking the V6 automatic, you're not getting the same power as the GT, and you're also not getting an excellent cruiser.? I mean, I sure as hell would buy a Civic Si over a V6 Mustang.
Yes, they are two different types of car. i voted no because I don't think the FWD coupes (Especially Japanese ones like the Si and Accord) are stealing sales from the Mustang and vice versa because they appeal to very different groups of people and types of drivers.

Edit: Also, I think the V-6 sells a lot to people who want a GT but can't afford the step up. These people would probably not look at a Eclipse or Si as a cheaper alternative to the GT like a V-6 version could be.

MX793

Quote from: goldenlover1101 on April 01, 2007, 09:28:01 PM
The Eclipse might be viable, but an accord coupe (Si Also) seems very far fetched as they are a coupe version of a sedan so they are much more cruiser oriented...

Umm, the Eclipse is based on the Galant, which was a midsize sedan like the Accord last I checked.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

S204STi

I feel that the Mustang V-6 is the entry-level retro Stang, and that is the heart of the vehicle.  Are they cross shopped?  Yes.  Does it compete?  Not really, it is in a different class.

goldenlover1101

Boy, I am insanely outnumbered here. Yes, the Eclipse is based on the Galant but it looks completely different and has a totally different feel. Where as the Accord Coupe looks very related to the sedan and is very closely related in the mind of a consumer. No one walks in and goes, hey that Eclipse and Galant are the same damn thing, what kind tomfoolery is this! I am not calling any of these cars bad, I am just stating my opinions.

ChrisV

I think the V6 Mustang could indeed compete with the V6 Z car or the rotary RX7. It's not as fast nor handles as well, but it's a cheaper V6 RWD competitor. It also competes with teh FWD sport coupes as a low cost sport cooupe, regardless of drive wheels.

I just feel that if it were offered by a Japanese manufacturer, even as an identical car as it is now, it would be hailed as the best RWD performance bargain on the planet, and the best base to build a tuner car from. due to being RWD and low cost As it is, it has to compete primarily with it's own higher powered sibling and comes off as a weaker car. On it's own, it's not. Against the GT it is.

Basically, if the GT didn't exist, the V6 Mustang would be crosshopped against the FWD sport coupes as a similar cost RWD competitor, and against the RWD sport coupes as a cheaper alternative with potential. I feel it's a great bargain, and with the manual and real tires, an adequately quick, balanced handler with a lot of potential.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

goldenlover1101

Quote from: R-inge on April 01, 2007, 09:53:17 PM
I feel that the Mustang V-6 is the entry-level retro Stang, and that is the heart of the vehicle.? Are they cross shopped?? Yes.? Does it compete?? Not really, it is in a different class.
Pretty much my thoughts exactly.

Nethead

The Nethead here had to agonize over this one, before I finally voted "No".? All the arguments pro and con upstream of my posting are excellent--each with a unique viewpoint and each with valid arguments in support of their vote.? There are no FWDs that have "It" like even a V6 Mustang.? This is not a slap at FWD vehicles--the Nethead here owns two FWD vehicles currently and has owned others in the past--but even the V6 Mustang carries heritage with it, and you ain't the same person when you're behind the wheel of one.? It ain't within my limited capacity for expression to tell you what it is--a FWD coupe is a FWD coupe--a few of them are excellent, many of them are good, some of them are mediocre, and a few of them are wretched--a fairly typical graphic bell curve that could describe FWD coupes or automobiles in general...
But a Mustang is freedom personified in sheetmetal--a poor man's starship, a family man's ticket to adventure, an individual's nod to affordable escape from the humdrum routine that holds us back like parasitic drag.? And it's a pussy magnet--what more do you want???
So many stairs...so little time...

Onslaught

Quote from: Nethead on April 02, 2007, 11:19:47 AM
The Nethead here had to agonize over this one, before I finally voted "No".? All the arguments pro and con upstream of my posting are excellent--each with a unique viewpoint and each with valid arguments in support of their vote.? There are no FWDs that have "It" like even a V6 Mustang.? This is not a slap at FWD vehicles--the Nethead here owns two FWD vehicles currently and has owned others in the past--but even the V6 Mustang carries heritage with it, and you ain't the same person when you're behind the wheel of one.? It ain't within my limited capacity for expression to tell you what it is--a FWD coupe is a FWD coupe--a few of them are excellent, many of them are good, some of them are mediocre, and a few of them are wretched--a fairly typical graphic bell curve that could describe FWD coupes or automobiles in general...
But a Mustang is freedom personified in sheetmetal--a poor man's starship, a family man's ticket to adventure, an individual's nod to affordable escape from the humdrum routine that holds us back like parasitic drag.? And it's a pussy magnet--what more do you want???
Not to start anything but I don't know one female that's impressed with a guy driving a Mustang. A "Pussy Magnet" it is not.

goldenlover1101

Quote from: Nethead on April 02, 2007, 11:19:47 AM
Well put Nethead, I honestly think a girl would be more attracted to a pink beetle than a Mustang, but it is a way to live out the American glory days and have a load of fun which is a whole different experience and appeal than FWD coupes.