nickdrinkwater

Looks like I was the second person to vote 350Z.  :lol:

SVT666

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on April 02, 2007, 11:12:38 AM
Looks like I was the second person to vote 350Z.? :lol:
SHAAAAAAAAME! :lol:

Nethead

Quote from: HEMI666 on April 02, 2007, 11:09:51 AM
Hmmmmmmm.....240Z.? Now that's a car I love.? I would love to drop a 5.0L V8 in it :lol:

Animal!
So many stairs...so little time...

Raza

Quote from: MX793 on April 02, 2007, 11:09:21 AM
I think the California Special package is only available on the GT.

Now it is.  But it started with the V6.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

the Teuton

The 350Z is probably a better car, and I think it sounds amazing, but it looks too plain  next to the 'Stang.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Ron From Regina

MX793

Quote from: Raza  on April 02, 2007, 11:51:04 AM
Now it is.  But it started with the V6.

Of the current generation cars?  I think they offered it with the V6 in the last gen ('99-'04), but I thought it was GT only with the S197.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

LonghornTX

Quote from: MX793 on April 02, 2007, 11:57:51 AM
Of the current generation cars?  I think they offered it with the V6 in the last gen ('99-'04), but I thought it was GT only with the S197.
You are correct, with the S197, only the GT was offered with the GT/CS package.
Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week.

LonghornTX

I voted mustang, but I must say that I have become intrigued with the NISMO 350Z.

Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week.

the Teuton

Quote from: Ron From Regina on April 02, 2007, 11:56:53 AM
Please elaborate.

It has an independent rear suspension, is more of a sporting car right out of the box, is cheaper, a better handler, the engine is pretty rev-happy, the exhaust note with the upgraded exhaust sounds amazing (not a V8 rumble but great nonetheless), it has a 6 speed manual on the models that matter where I think some V8 stang models still have a 5 speed, it's more compact, it doesn't look like everything else on the road, and it has a decent-sized aftermarket following (not compared to the Mustang, but big nonetheless).
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Raza

Quote from: MX793 on April 02, 2007, 11:57:51 AM

I guess I'm wrong.  I could have sworn there was a 2006 V6 California Special.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: the Teuton on April 02, 2007, 12:07:11 PM
It has an independent rear suspension, is more of a sporting car right out of the box, is cheaper, a better handler, the engine is pretty rev-happy, the exhaust note with the upgraded exhaust sounds amazing (not a V8 rumble but great nonetheless), it has a 6 speed manual on the models that matter where I think some V8 stang models still have a 5 speed, it's more compact, it doesn't look like everything else on the road, and it has a decent-sized aftermarket following (not compared to the Mustang, but big nonetheless).

Well, you make good points, but my advice is to drive both.  Even though it's not really cheaper.  The most expensive GT right now 27,6, so I can't imagine that the Shelby GT will start at much more than 30 or 31.  The base model 350Z stars at 27,9.  Go Grand Touring and it's 36K.   

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

Quote from: HEMI666 on April 02, 2007, 10:13:22 AM
It's closer in price to the Shelby then it is to the GT in the US...and where I am the 350Z is the same price as a GT500.

No it isn't. The Shelby GT costs $35k, a similarly equipped GT costs about $30k, and a 350z Touring fits right between at $32.7k.

SVT666

You're speaking out of your ass for the most part because you have never driven a Shelby GT, so how would you know which handles better and which is sportier?  I am willing to bet the Shelby GT will be at least as good as the 350Z in performance, if not better.

Onslaught

Quote from: HEMI666 on April 02, 2007, 12:49:12 PM
You're speaking out of your ass for the most part because you have never driven a Shelby GT, so how would you know which handles better and which is sportier?? I am willing to bet the Shelby GT will be at least as good as the 350Z in performance, if not better.
Have you driven both cars? If not then you also are speaking out of the butt.

SVT666

Quote from: Onslaught on April 02, 2007, 12:54:45 PM
Have you driven both cars? If not then you also are speaking out of the butt.
Not at all.  I'm not saying it performs as well as the 350Z, I'm saying I'm willing to bet it will.  He stated that the 350Z outperforms the Shelby...period. 

nickdrinkwater

Plus it looks better  :praise:

Onslaught

If I had to have one it would be the 350Z. I'm more of a sports car person rather than a muscle car guy.
I've driven a Z and a GT Stang and the Z just has the "feel" that I like more. But to be honest the Z is too heavy
and I can't get past the looks of the door handles.

Ron From Regina

It has an independent rear suspension,
This is an old argument. Its already been stated by several people who have drvien the Mustang, plus countless magazines, that the live axle in the mustang is as good as any IRS setup in the segment. The only time time it is noticed is when applying big power and hitting a bump mid corner.
With my car, very rarely do I even notice, and when I do, its not a big deal.
Further, the live exle setup is what helps keep the costs of the mustang down, and is easy to modify by those of us who are into drag racing.

Quoteis cheaper,
I'm too lazy to look up the pricing, but as Hemi as already pointed out, a 350Z in Canada costs the same as a Shelby GT500. I can't imaging the 350Z is a whole lot different in price than a Shelby GT.

a better handler,
Says who? Its already been argued to death that the Mustang GT can handle almost as well as the 350Z. The Shelby GT has a fairly major suspension upgrade. Although handling is hard to quantify, M/T pulled .91G on their skid pad, and 25.7 seconds on the figure 8; both figures besting the nissan signifigantly.

the engine is pretty rev-happy,
What matters is how the car is geared. The mustang has enough torque to not stall on blacktop when dumping the clutch off idle, and will pull you back into the seat, all the way to its redline.

the exhaust note with the upgraded exhaust sounds amazing (not a V8 rumble but great nonetheless),
I'll give it that. I do like the exaust note on the Z, but I have to say, I do prefer the stock exaust on the mustang. Aftermarket is anyone's call.

it has a 6 speed manual on the models that matter where I think some V8 stang models still have a 5 speed,
Although I've always wanted a 6spd in the mustang, just to say it had one, I certainly don't think it is necessary. Sure, it would be nice to bring the revs down a bit (from about 2600)? when cruising at 80mph, though.

it's more compact, it doesn't look like everything else on the road,
It also has 2 less seats.
I would argue that the mustang has the more unique look on the road. Sure, there are more of them, but nobody would mistake a mustang for anything else.

SaltyDog

I'd take the Shelby or the GT over the Z. 

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

SVT666

Quote from: Ron From Regina on April 02, 2007, 01:24:29 PM
I would argue that the mustang has the more unique look on the road. Sure, there are more of them, but nobody would mistake a mustang for anything else.
Which is why the word Mustang shows up a total of 0 times on the car.

Onslaught

Quote from: HEMI666 on April 02, 2007, 01:47:37 PM
Which is why the word Mustang shows up a total of 0 times on the car.
You don't have to spell out the name when you put chrome emblems of the animal all over the place.

Ron From Regina

Quote from: Onslaught on April 02, 2007, 01:57:21 PM
You don't have to spell out the name when you put chrome emblems of the animal all over the place.

By all over the place, you mean the one on the grill? The only other mustang logo's visible from the exterior are tiny ones edged into the glass on the windows, and are no more than a 1/4 inch.

(The V6 has it on the trunk and side badges, but the V8 ones just have a badge that says GT.)

Onslaught

Don't forget the one on the steering wheel and how some of the V6 ones have those ugly decals with Mustangs all down it.

the Teuton

Hemi, I voted for the Stang out of those two because it's a special edition and looks amazing, but otherwise it's just and ordinary Mustang with a nice paint job and some Ford catalog parts.  It still has the wrong suspension in the back and it's just another iteration because it's one of the few cars that Ford makes that draws a profit and they're trying to milk the hell out of that car. 

That being said, it could be a better, cheaper car, but Ford has a monopoly on the muscle car market right now and they can charge whatever the heck they want for whatever special edition they want.  I don't see this as a $200k car in 30-40 years because Ford is pumping out so many special editions.  SRA limits tunability unless your name is Jack Roush and makes it a less desirable car.  That's why 350Zs, RX8s, and Camaros will/do exist.

SVT666

Quote from: the Teuton on April 02, 2007, 02:15:28 PM
Hemi, I voted for the Stang out of those two because it's a special edition and looks amazing, but otherwise it's just and ordinary Mustang with a nice paint job and some Ford catalog parts.
What do you think a NISMO 350Z is?

QuoteIt still has the wrong suspension in the back
:rolleyes:

Quoteand it's just another iteration because it's one of the few cars that Ford makes that draws a profit and they're trying to milk the hell out of that car.?
Yup, nothing wrong with that...is there?  What do you think they did back in the late 60s and early 70s?

Lebowski

350Z, no question in my book.

GoCougs

Substitute the base G35/7 coupe and I'm sold, which at a base of $33,000 still undercuts the Shelby GT by almost $4,000.

The 350Z bothers me because of the lack of a back seat, and the rumors of a lot of road noise and lack of refinement. For not a lot more money, one can have the G35/7.

The only compelling argument for the Shelby GT is exhaust note IMO.

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on April 02, 2007, 02:38:59 PM
Substitute the base G35/7 coupe and I'm sold, which at a base of $33,000 still undercuts the Shelby GT by almost $4,000.
Try $2000. :rolleyes:

MX793

I found a Shelby GT on ebay and a very clear shot of the window sticker shows an MSRP of $32K and change.  Of course, dealer markup makes sticker prices moot, but their MSRP isn't as high as a lot of people seem to be indicating.

EDIT:

NM, it appears these cars come with two window stickers.  One for the original Mustang and a second from Shelby highlighting the cost of the add ons.  Prices are indeed north of $35K.  Base price of $36,970 according to leftlanenews.com.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5