Ford Expedition FunkMaster Flex Edition

Started by SVT666, April 02, 2007, 11:19:25 AM

Soup DeVille

Quote from: HEMI666 on April 06, 2007, 03:20:29 PM
I don't think so man.? If a rap song doesn't have one or more of the following: heavy swearing, referring to women as hoes or whores, referring to other black people as niggaz, talking about shooting someone, or about all the bling they got around their neck, then it's in the minority.

I firmly believe that any black person who refers to other black people as nigger or niggaz or whatever the "in" pronunciation of the word might be, has no clue about the history behind the word.? It only makes them look stupid and ignorant.

All you're seeing of rap is the MTV/BET version, which would be akin to judging all of country music on the plasticized, homogenized crap that passes for popular country these days.

Sure, not much of that stuff is violent or racist or sexist; but most of it sucks too. The good country: the stuff from Merle Haggard to Hank 3 to Johnny Cash occasionally can be all of those things; but lacks the aforementioned sucking.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Tave

Quote from: HEMI666 on April 06, 2007, 03:20:29 PM
I don't think so man.? If a rap song doesn't have one or more of the following: heavy swearing, referring to women as hoes or whores, referring to other black people as niggaz, talking about shooting someone, or about all the bling they got around their neck, then it's in the minority.

I firmly believe that any black person who refers to other black people as nigger or niggaz or whatever the "in" pronunciation of the word might be, has no clue about the history behind the word.? It only makes them look stupid and ignorant.

You can't equate popularity with representation. Only a very few people out of the thousands out there recieve any kind of national exposure. There are more independent acts than major label artists. Just because they're not in the mass media doesn't mean they aren't out there.

People associate rock and roll with sex, drugs, and violence, as much as they do rap.

You have had to heard the phrase "Sex, drugs, and rock and roll!" Right?

Well, what's the difference?

All this music; country, rock and roll, rap, evolved from the same source: the blues. The blues have always been about the harder parts of life. And they've always had a bittersweet relationship with those struggles.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

TheIntrepid

"Yo be my hoe... I wanna fuck you in the back of the Rodeo"

This is the only thread that that rap line is relevant in.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

SVT666

Quote from: Tave on April 06, 2007, 04:17:50 PM
You can't equate popularity with representation. Only a very few people out of the thousands out there recieve any kind of national exposure. There are more independent acts than major label artists. Just because they're not in the mass media doesn't mean they aren't out there.

People associate rock and roll with sex, drugs, and violence, as much as they do rap.
No they don't.  They might associate violence with rock music, but not to the same degree people associate violence with rap.

QuoteYou have had to heard the phrase "Sex, drugs, and rock and roll!" Right?

Well, what's the difference?
The difference is that rap takes itself far too seriously and rock doesn't.? Rock musicians aren't wearing bullit proof vests and carrying guns because they are afraid of being shot by another rapper's posse.? Country and Rock musicians don't use racist and sexist terms and references in all their songs.

QuoteAll this music; country, rock and roll, rap, evolved from the same source: the blues. The blues have always been about the harder parts of life. And they've always had a bittersweet relationship with those struggles.
Sorry, but country is older then the blues.

TheIntrepid

Says the guy with a black man with a Mohawk in his avatar.

SVT666

Quote from: TheIntrepid on April 06, 2007, 04:54:33 PM
Says the guy with a black man with a Mohawk in his avatar.
What's your point?? Mr. T is a cultural icon from the 80s.? Are you trying to say I'm racist or something?  I grew up watching Mr.T on the A-Team every week.

Raghavan

Quote from: HEMI666 on April 06, 2007, 04:56:00 PM
What's your point? Mr. T is a cultural icon from the 80s. Are you trying to say I'm racist or something?
Trep probably doesn't know WHAT he's trying to say.
Mr. T. :rockon:

SVT666

TheIntrepid

Raghavan

Quote from: TheIntrepid on April 06, 2007, 04:58:00 PM
Who the hell is Mr.T?
A-team???? OMFG
"I pity the fool"?? Why are you even asking this???

SVT666

TheIntrepid

I watch NORMAL TV. Oh and I was born in '89. Until '92 or '93, I was watching Barney, and then it was Full House until '95, then Arthur came along, until '97. What's your point?

SVT666

Quote from: TheIntrepid on April 06, 2007, 05:00:28 PM
I watch NORMAL TV. Oh and I was born in '89. Until '92 or '93, I was watching Barney, and then it was Full House until '95, then Arthur came along, until '97. What's your point?
Shit I feel really old right now and I'm not even 30 yet.

Raghavan

So you haven't watched any of the older shows?
My favorite is MacGyver. :rockon:

SVT666

Quote from: Raghavan on April 06, 2007, 05:01:29 PM
So you haven't watched any of the older shows?
My favorite is MacGyver. :rockon:
MacGyver :rockon:
Airwolf :rockon:
A-Team :rockon:
Knight Rider :rockon:
Dukes of Hazzard :rockon:

Raghavan

SVT666

I'm going to have supper.  That should give Trep enough time to Google Mr. T.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: HEMI666 on April 06, 2007, 05:04:17 PM
I'm going to have supper.  That should give Trep enough time to Google Mr. T.

Trep's leaving for a date. No googling. Bye :P

Eye of the Tiger

Oh hell yeah, MacGyver is the shiznit!   :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Raza

Quote from: HEMI666 on April 06, 2007, 05:01:27 PM
Shit I feel really old right now and I'm not even 30 yet.

Damn, I feel old too.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Tave

Quote from: HEMI666 on April 06, 2007, 04:52:54 PM
No they don't.? They might associate violence with rock music, but not to the same degree people associate violence with rap.

Well, okay. But who cares? Violence is a part of a lot of art. Filmaking, poetry, writing, playwriting, painting, photography, etc..., all claim individuals who use violence in one way or another.

Now, It's fine if you don't like violence, but that doesn't make an entire genre of music crap (especially when you consider that a majority of the material doesn't have anything to do with violence).

Just because you don't like a movie like Sin City doesn't mean I can't find something relevant in it.

QuoteThe difference is that rap takes itself far too seriously and rock doesn't.? Rock musicians aren't wearing bullit proof vests and carrying guns because they are afraid of being shot by another rapper's posse.? Country and Rock musicians don't use racist and sexist terms and references in all their songs.

:rolleyes: Dimebag Darrell anyone?

QuoteSorry, but country is older then the blues.

Country as we know it started in the 20's. It is hugely influenced by the blues. Country musicians took the European instruments and traditions and added them to blues music.

It's no joke when they say blues/jazz is the only original american music. All our other stuff is, to a certain degree, derivative of that song.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

SaltyDog

Quote from: HEMI666 on April 06, 2007, 01:14:58 PM
There's adifference between a humourous song like "A Boy Named Sue" and a guy rapping about killing cops and fuckin' hoes, while his"niggaz" watch.  You don't see country singers going around killing "rival" rap artists (like Tupac and Notorious B.I.G.) or dissing them in their new song.

There are some "rappers" that "rap" about killing people, having lots of money, and tapping bootylicous hoes, but many don't.  This is the type of rap I see on BET(ugh, I think that channel is on 24/7 in hell) and hear on the radio. 

Btw, 2Pac and Biggie are great.  They rapped when rap was musical and interesting.  Along those lines you guys should do yourself a favor and check out Jeru the Damaja and Souls of Mischief if you haven't heard them.

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

mazda6er

Now he doesn't know who Mr. T is? My God. The kids at school must eat him alive.
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

SVT666

Quote from: Tave on April 06, 2007, 05:31:30 PM
Well, okay. But who cares? Violence is a part of a lot of art. Filmaking, poetry, writing, playwriting, painting, photography, etc..., all claim individuals who use violence in one way or another.

Now, It's fine if you don't like violence, but that doesn't make an entire genre of music crap (especially when you consider that a majority of the material doesn't have anything to do with violence).

Just because you don't like a movie like Sin City doesn't mean I can't find something relevant in it.

:rolleyes: Dimebag Darrell anyone?

Country as we know it started in the 20's. It is hugely influenced by the blues. Country musicians took the European instruments and traditions and added them to blues music.

It's no joke when they say blues/jazz is the only original american music. All our other stuff is, to a certain degree, derivative of that song.
rep just said, "Who the hell is Mr. T?", and you're still arguing this?