It's Official...New Nissan under Sentra...

Started by LostBoy, June 15, 2005, 08:03:34 PM

LostBoy

Courtesy of Edmunds.com...

Don't Call It a Datsun: Nissan to Launch Tiida Compact in U.S. Next Year

Date Posted 06-15-2005

TOKYO ? Because small cars from Japan are getting hotter in the U.S., Nissan is moving up its launch of the Tiida to the second half of next year, filling out the space beneath Sentra.

It's been an open secret for some time now that Nissan wanted to do a new small U.S. car that's based on its domestic B platform. While speculation so far has centered on the Cube, a boxy tall wagon, coming to the U.S., Nissan will be testing the Gen X and Y waters with the Tiida long before that. The next-generation Cube is on track for the U.S., but with sales of the first cult edition still strong, Nissan's in no hurry to rush through a replacement.

The 1.5-liter Tiida launched in Japan in 2004 as a hatchback and a sedan. The hatchback is expected for the U.S. Nissan supplied a few clues at the New York auto show in April with the critically acclaimed Sport Concept. Beneath the aggressively racy bodywork, the Sport Concept was largely Tiida.

Nissan also will have a redesigned Sentra and Altima in the U.S. next year.

What this means to you: As Nissan revamps its compact car line, could Tiida be the coolest small Nissan since the Datsun 510? The potential is there.

Here are some picts for those "visual people"...

My comments:  Rather sporty looking for an entry level vehicle.  Should they keep the name "Tiida?"

BMWDave

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

ifcar

Lose the name, keep the rest. Looks like an especially roomy back seat from this pic for a subcompact.

TBR

Looks very nice, particularly the interior. However, I didn't realize we were getting a new Altima already, does anyone know if it will be an '06 or '07 model?

ifcar

07. It'll be following the same five-year cycle as the Camry, both were redesigned for 02 and facelifted for 05.  

TBR

Quote07. It'll be following the same five-year cycle as the Camry, both were redesigned for 02 and facelifted for 05.
That makes sense.  

Run Away

I really love the Sport Compact Concept or whatever, it looked really agressive.

giant_mtb

Fire It Up

The thing at NY looked better. I wonder if theyll have an appearance pacakge?

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

Catman

giant_mtb

TBR

QuoteI really love the Sport Compact Concept or whatever, it looked really agressive.
I like it too, it got me my first GTCG thread :lol: .

LostBoy

QuoteIs it pronounced "teeda"?

Yes, in Okinawan Japanese...I believe it stands for "sun."  Perhaps Nissan should call it something "solar," rather than 'tee'-'dah'...

Catman

QuoteIs it pronounced "teeda"?

Yes, in Okinawan Japanese...I believe it stands for "sun."  Perhaps Nissan should call it something "solar," rather than 'tee'-'dah'...
How about Peepee? Or, Titee? :D  

Fire It Up

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

LostBoy

QuoteThe Nissan Teetay. :lol:
Now...do you really want to go there?  That's so crass...why you'd probably even go so far as...

Nissan Feesees
Nissan Dique
Nissan Poossee
Nissan Pisson
Nissan Weina
Nissan Ace-cheek
Nissan Whoranos
Nissan Boobies
Nissan Wiggelmeteets
Nissan Winkinpinkfish
and...if you've actually read up to this point...
Nissan GT Pooner...

but that would be idiotic...  :lol:

GMPenguin

The front looks exactly like a drawing I did almost a year ago. :blink:

Raza

So, this is going to be the Scion fighter, eh?

Eh.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.