1991 Dodge Daytona race car project

Started by Payman, April 05, 2007, 11:17:28 AM

Payman

I just bought a 1991 Daytona I'm modifying to race at Brighton Speedway in the V6 "Stinger" class. Right now I'm gutting the interior, and I have a question about the airbag. There's only a driver's one, and I'm replacing the wheel with a simpler one.
First of what I'm sure will be many questions in the days ahead:
Is there anything I should be worried about when I dismantle the wheel/steering column?

93JC

Yeah, make sure it doesn't blow up in your face.

How? I don't know.

Payman

Thanks. I'm doing it from the passenger seat, just in case.

93JC

My Spirit doesn't have one, so I've never bothered to figure out what to do in such a situation.

TheIntrepid

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

TheIntrepid

Payman

Not yet. I just parked the car here last night. I'll post some of the progress (and the racing!) soon though.

Secret Chimp

Based off of the repeated warnings in various sections of my Accord's manual, you can probably disconnect the SRS system either in the steering column or at the fuse box to help prevent anything from going off.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

Payman

Yeah, the guys in the chat threat said that too. The battery is disconnected, but I was wondering if there's any chemical reaction to worry about if I start whacking things with a hammer.

TheIntrepid

I think Wimmer got whacked in the head with an airbag once. That's why he's gay now.

Pancor

They're electrically actuated, obviously.  I've connected/disconnected many SRS systems in my day, and nothing has ever happened.  Plugging the modules in is a little scary sometimes, but don't worrry about disconnecting it.  When you're done, get 20' of speaker wire and a 9v battery and blow 'er up!

Payman

Quote from: Pancor on April 05, 2007, 12:25:15 PM
They're electrically actuated, obviously.? I've connected/disconnected many SRS systems in my day, and nothing has ever happened.? Plugging the modules in is a little scary sometimes, but don't worrry about disconnecting it.? When you're done, get 20' of speaker wire and a 9v battery and blow 'er up!

I'm thinking about rigging it up to the squirrel feeder and posting the carnage on YouTube.  :lol:

heelntoe

:lol:
if you get chosen, you might get a free flat screen tv from hp.
@heelntoe

Soup DeVille

FYI: get yourself some dry ice to freeze the undercoating and rustproofing, and it'll flake right off.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Payman on April 05, 2007, 11:17:28 AM
I just bought a 1991 Daytona I'm modifying to race at Brighton Speedway in the V6 "Stinger" class. Right now I'm gutting the interior, and I have a question about the airbag. There's only a driver's one, and I'm replacing the wheel with a simpler one.
First of what I'm sure will be many questions in the days ahead:
Is there anything I should be worried about when I dismantle the wheel/steering column?

Wow, that's cool. I wish I could have done what with the Duster! That 3.0 V6 has some potential, but in stock form it's not all too spectacular. What are the class rules?
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Payman

Quote from: NACar on April 05, 2007, 06:32:49 PM
Wow, that's cool. I wish I could have done what with the Duster! That 3.0 V6 has some potential, but in stock form it's not all too spectacular. What are the class rules?

Any V6, 2wd (fwd or rwd), no mid/rear engine, must be stock.
Stock suspension, wheels/tires.
No glass or interior combustables, full rollcage.
Steel windshield screen, side webbing, racing seat w/harness.
Doors welded shut, 4" firefighting hole in hood.
Rear highmounted brake light, all other lights removed.
Fuel cell if tank aft of rear axle.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Payman on April 05, 2007, 06:43:02 PM
Any V6, 2wd (fwd or rwd), no mid/rear engine, must be stock.
Stock suspension, wheels/tires.
No glass or interior combustables, full rollcage.
Steel windshield screen, side webbing, racing seat w/harness.
Doors welded shut, 4" firefighting hole in hood.
Rear highmounted brake light, all other lights removed.
Fuel cell if tank aft of rear axle.

I'd shave the heads a little, they'll never know? :lol:
So is this on a dirt track or what?

JWC

Before you shave the heads, be sure to read the rule book...again.  Local tracks around here allow other drivers to "protest" a win.  This requires the winning car to submit to an inspection that includes removing engine conponents for inspection.  You not only lose the race, if caught doing anything, but get suspended from racing for a period of time. 

S204STi

As for the airbag, so long as the negative battery terminal is disconnected for anything longer than 5 minutes you will be fine.

Submariner

Quote from: JWC on April 05, 2007, 09:17:59 PM
Before you shave the heads, be sure to read the rule book...again.  Local tracks around here allow other drivers to "protest" a win.  This requires the winning car to submit to an inspection that includes removing engine conponents for inspection.  You not only lose the race, if caught doing anything, but get suspended from racing for a period of time. 

Alright, then shave them like, 1/8 of an inch!!!!  They wouldn't notice, and i'm sure it would do something.  :lol:
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: R-inge on April 05, 2007, 09:20:32 PM
As for the airbag, so long as the negative battery terminal is disconnected for anything longer than 5 minutes you will be fine.

I suppose you could just remove the fuse too.  :huh:

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Submariner on April 06, 2007, 08:23:55 AM
Alright, then shave them like, 1/8 of an inch!!!!? They wouldn't notice, and i'm sure it would do something.? :lol:

That's a LOT!
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Raghavan

Quote from: Submariner on April 06, 2007, 08:23:55 AM
Alright, then shave them like, 1/8 of an inch!!!! They wouldn't notice, and i'm sure it would do something. :lol:
I think 1/8th of an inch is too much. :rolleyes:

AutobahnSHO

Will

Rupert

Yeah, you could get away with 1/128th, probably. ;)

So, uh, why are there so many stupid moving cat avatars all of a sudden? 0_o
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Psilos on April 06, 2007, 07:53:20 PM
Yeah, you could get away with 1/128th, probably. ;)

So, uh, why are there so many stupid moving cat avatars all of a sudden? 0_o

:huh:   :lol:

Eye of the Tiger

How's the project coming Payman? Need pics!

Danish

Quote from: Lebowski on December 17, 2008, 05:46:10 PM
No advice can be worse than Coug's, in any thread, ever.

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Payman

Quote from: NACar on May 06, 2007, 10:31:35 AM
How's the project coming Payman? Need pics!

First race May 26th. All done except for installation of rollcage, which is bent and ready to go, and the racing seat mounts. I also have vinyl decals on order, and I still have to buy the nomex suit. Shit guys... sorry. I'll post pics very soon.