Spy shots of Solstice Turbo

Started by LostBoy, June 15, 2005, 09:21:16 PM

LostBoy

Courtesy of Cheers And Gears...

Solstice Turbo Spy Shots

No hotlinking of pictures, please.  (They're pretty litigious...I know, lol)

The text on the valve cover says it all...Enjoy! :)

Catman

Cool. B)

Is it me, or does the top on the solstice look like a nightmare?  I still think I'd go Miata.

TBR

QuoteCool. B)

Is it me, or does the top on the solstice look like a nightmare?  I still think I'd go Miata.
Yeah, it isn't exactly pretty. And what makes them think that the Mazdaspeed Miata won't have more power? 250 hp is quite likely considering the Mazdaspeed 6 makes 280hp out of a turbocharged 2.3l (the Miata has a 2.0l).

LostBoy

QuoteCool. B)

Is it me, or does the top on the solstice look like a nightmare?  I still think I'd go Miata.
I agree.  It does look problematic.  And the rear window looks small, even by convertible standards.  I'm no expert, but maybe they should've had it go over the "humps," instead.

Wonder if they'll offer a hard-top Solstice...?  That would be sweet! B)  

giant_mtb

Sweet.  It deffinitely is turbo; the writing on the valve cover, as well as the hoses.  :lol:  

MrH

QuoteSweet.  It deffinitely is turbo; the writing on the valve cover, as well as the hoses.  :lol:
Thanks for clearing that up Captain Sleuth.  :rolleyes:  
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

SJ_GTI

FlatBlackCaddy

They could shove a Z06 motor in there and i still wouldn't car.

Why is everything one step away from being right for me.

Come on GM, make a coupe version(hell just make a coupe, who cars about the soft top).

Tom

I second the coupe.  I'm not a big vert guy.  And whatever hapened to the Velite?

TBR

QuoteI second the coupe.  I'm not a big vert guy.  And whatever hapened to the Velite?
Now that was a good looking Buick.

Tom

Is that implying that other Buicks are not good looking???

BMWDave

Looks good, but the top isnt so nice.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

TBR

QuoteIs that implying that other Buicks are not good looking???
No, not particularly, more than anything I was implying that the Velite was a very good looking car.  

Colonel Cadillac

This is much better than the V8 idea that some people have.  

TBR

QuoteThis is much better than the V8 idea that some people have.
Not really, if there is a weight difference it is very small and the LS2 has a lot more power.  

giant_mtb

QuoteSweet.  It deffinitely is turbo; the writing on the valve cover, as well as the hoses.  :lol:
Thanks for clearing that up Captain Sleuth.  :rolleyes:
^_^

LostBoy

Here's an update on the Solstice GXP, courtesy of Edmunds.com

Comments:  240 HP is the word...and the Sky Redline is in the works, as well.

Pontiac Prepares Hot-Rod Edition of Solstice, Warns Dealers Not to Gouge

Date Posted 06-16-2005

DETROIT ? Pontiac is said to be preparing a high-performance GXP edition of its new Solstice roadster for model-year 2007, with a turbocharged, four-cylinder engine that should be good for 240 horsepower.

In the meantime, the brand's general manager reportedly has sent a letter to dealers, addressing complaints that a few are charging well above the Solstice's suggested sticker price of $19,995 ? despite the fact that the car doesn't go on sale officially until this fall. Pontiac already has taken 9,000 orders, and the vehicle is so hot that some dealers are asking a premium, according to the Detroit News.

The GXP edition is expected to reach showrooms a year or so after the first Solstices begin arriving at Pontiac dealers. The high-output version will get a dual-exhaust system and a unique front fascia, and will offer buyers a choice between a five-speed manual and a five-speed automatic gearbox.

The same turbo engine likely will be offered on a Redline edition of the 2007 Saturn Sky, a sister vehicle to the Solstice. The Sky and the Solstice are built on GM's corporate Kappa platform.

What this means to you: Pressure from Pontiac might help keep prices of this hot roadster around $20K. Any more than that and you're paying too much.

GMPenguin

QuoteThey could shove a Z06 motor in there and i still wouldn't car.
You can buy them with the LS2, :rolleyes:  there's a thread somewhere around here.

footoflead

QuoteCool. B)

i'd go miata in a heart beat without thinking twice....then i would hit the back roads :D  
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

Raza

This is definitely a better way to increase power than V8 stuffing.  Though 240 horse doesn't sound too impressive for the weight of the car.  How much does the Z4 weigh?  That's got around 255 nowadays right?  Actually, with 240bhp, this thing should be as fast as a 350Z!
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TBR

QuoteThis is definitely a better way to increase power than V8 stuffing.  Though 240 horse doesn't sound too impressive for the weight of the car.  How much does the Z4 weigh?  That's got around 255 nowadays right?  Actually, with 240bhp, this thing should be as fast as a 350Z!
Why? Do you really think that this engine will weigh less than a LS2? Not likely. And, doesn't the Z4 still have 225hp?  

280Z Turbo

Remember turbo stuff (intercooler, turbo, oil cooler, piping) adds weight penalities as well and takes up space under the hood. A V8 wouldn't have lag either and it would last longer too! Not to mention the awesome V8 sound.

Raza

QuoteThis is definitely a better way to increase power than V8 stuffing.  Though 240 horse doesn't sound too impressive for the weight of the car.  How much does the Z4 weigh?  That's got around 255 nowadays right?  Actually, with 240bhp, this thing should be as fast as a 350Z!
Why? Do you really think that this engine will weigh less than a LS2? Not likely. And, doesn't the Z4 still have 225hp?
No, it's getting more power, like the 330i.

Who said I meant anything about weight?  I like turbos.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

280Z Turbo

I like turbos too, but I'd rather have a V8 under my hood than the turbocharged, fuel injected, OHC inline six that resides under it currently.

V8 power is cheaper, more reliable, and simpler than souped up smaller engines.

Raza

QuoteI like turbos too, but I'd rather have a V8 under my hood than the turbocharged, fuel injected, OHC inline six that resides under it currently.

I thought it was a four?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

280Z Turbo

QuoteI like turbos too, but I'd rather have a V8 under my hood than the turbocharged, fuel injected, OHC inline six that resides under it currently.

I thought it was a four?
The Z? No. They've always been sixes.

Raza

I thought it was a four?
The Z? No. They've always been sixes.
I know that.  But the 350 is a V6, and I meant the Solstice.  I thought the Solstice was a four.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

280Z Turbo

The solstice is a four.

I was simply comparing my personal experience to this situation.

Raza

QuoteThe solstice is a four.

I was simply comparing my personal experience to this situation.
My experience is that inline sixes are bloody huge. Turbo fours are generally not.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

QuoteThis is definitely a better way to increase power than V8 stuffing.  Though 240 horse doesn't sound too impressive for the weight of the car.  How much does the Z4 weigh?  That's got around 255 nowadays right?  Actually, with 240bhp, this thing should be as fast as a 350Z!
No, it's getting more power, like the 330i.

Who said I meant anything about weight?  I like turbos.
I knew it would be eventually, but I didn't know they had actually already done it. Also, I can understand that you might have a preference for a turbocharged engine (though it is surprising to here you say that after your rants about your Passat's lag) but that doesn't mean that stuffing a V8 into a small car isn't a perfectly fine way of getting big performance, at least when the weight penalities aren't very big.