Mid-size Lux Sedans

Started by chevyguy06, April 07, 2007, 09:43:53 PM

If money was no option, which would you take?

Acura TL/Type-S
2 (3.4%)
Audi A4/S4
8 (13.6%)
BMW 3-series
25 (42.4%)
Caddy CTS/CTS-V
7 (11.9%)
Infiniti G35
9 (15.3%)
Jaguar X-type
0 (0%)
Lexus IS
1 (1.7%)
Lincoln MKZ
0 (0%)
Mercedes C-class
4 (6.8%)
Saab 9-3
1 (1.7%)
Volvo S40/S60/R
2 (3.4%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Raghavan

Quote from: Champ on April 13, 2007, 10:37:47 AM
Sure but the car in question is RWD!Gotcha, I believe the more normal term is BHP (break horsepower). Or at least I would have understood what you were saying if you said that :D
Well that's why i thought it was so funny...

ArchBishop

Quote from: 850CSi on April 13, 2007, 01:53:40 AM
That's not proof because Consumer Reports has been proven to have suspect means of analyzing and collecting data over and over and over again. They're one of the most deceptive automotive publications out there (when they're not reviewing toasters).

Suspect or not (and I don't belive it to be suspect) the reliablity Data that CR reports has been Very Accurate.

ArchBishop

Quote from: Galaxy on April 13, 2007, 01:46:51 AM
It is even harder to imagine that any real enthusiast would be so lacking in tolerance.

Again, a real enthusist would like the car that has the best of both. I can see from the poll, there are a lot of "real enthusiast" (Choosing the BMW 335)

ro51092

Quote from: omicron on April 13, 2007, 12:26:24 AM
Ahoy, Archibald.

Some of Audi's styling decisions of late aren't necessarily the best - the giant grille thing works on the performance models (S and RS), but it falls apart a bit for me when a a humble A4 2.0 on steel wheels has a gaping mouth like it's packing some serious aggression under the hood. Which it isn't.

Having said that, every aspect of Audi interiors is brilliantly built, logically designed, and smartly styled, and the A8 is exquisite.

You aren't talking about the 2.0T, right? It's not a monster under the hood, but it's quick.

JYODER240

Quote from: ArchBishop on April 14, 2007, 09:34:22 AM
Again, a real enthusist would like the car that has the best of both. I can see from the poll, there are a lot of "real enthusiast" (Choosing the BMW 335)

Have you even driven any of these cars?
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

ro51092

Quote from: ArchBishop on April 13, 2007, 12:05:16 AM
I'm Serious. The Audi's have to be some of the biggest failures I have seen. It?s scary that they sell, with the reliability of Mercedes, but lack of name Benz recognition > I personally feel they are ugly cars, with sub par styling and Dynamics. It?s hard to imagine any real enthusiast liking any car they make.

You, sir are a fucking moron. You can think they're ugly. If you really trust CR, then you aren't much of an enthusiast. How the hell does CR know what's coming in the future? They're a bunch of craps that should stick to toasters, and baby strollers. Oh, and my Audi hasn't crapped out on me anytime lately.

ArchBishop

Quote from: ro51092 on April 14, 2007, 09:45:05 AM
You, sir are a fucking moron. You can think they're ugly. If you really trust CR, then you aren't much of an enthusiast. How the hell does CR know what's coming in the future? They're a bunch of craps that should stick to toasters, and baby strollers. Oh, and my Audi hasn't crapped out on me anytime lately.

And it shouldn't. But that doesn't mean it won't.

And CR never claims to predict the future of your overpriced VW, but they can give an idea of what reliablity could be like by looking at past data.

ro51092

Guess what, my overpriced Accord, the Acura TL, which has a very good reliability rating (from what I hear), was a POS. It had a new rattle, a new defect every other month. The thing could've been made by a band of monkeys, and it would've been better made. On the other hand, my A4, which is supposedly unreliable, hasn't made so much as a squeak in the wrong area. CR is utter bullshit.

What do you drive, homeboy?

ArchBishop

Quote from: ro51092 on April 14, 2007, 10:09:06 AM
Guess what, my overpriced Accord, the Acura TL, which has a very good reliability rating (from what I hear), was a POS. It had a new rattle, a new defect every other month. The thing could've been made by a band of monkeys, and it would've been better made. On the other hand, my A4, which is supposedly unreliable, hasn't made so much as a squeak in the wrong area. CR is utter bullshit.

What do you drive, homeboy?

Squeaks are a quality issue, not a Reliblity Issue. Try again.

ro51092

Quote from: ArchBishop on April 14, 2007, 10:17:54 AM
Squeaks are a quality issue, not a Reliblity Issue. Try again.

Did you miss 'defect'?

ArchBishop

Quote from: ro51092 on April 14, 2007, 10:24:22 AM
Did you miss 'defect'?
You didn't go into detail. Year of the car, and mileage? And your Audi looks to be brand new, was your Acura?
Also, one of the big areas on Audi/Vw is electrical.

ro51092

ArchBishop

Quote from: ro51092 on April 14, 2007, 10:32:57 AM
Both were brand new.

Acura's are rated much better than average in everything except Body integrity, which was just above average. the 05' version was below average in the same catigory.

ro51092

Trust me, man, CR is bullshit. Everyone on this forum, and probably most other forums know that.

ArchBishop

Quote from: ro51092 on April 14, 2007, 10:47:17 AM
Trust me, man, CR is bullshit. Everyone on this forum, and probably most other forums know that.
I'd like to think so, but my brother 3series, my parents Saab and my friends cars all fall under the common trouble sports that CR list.

the Teuton

Quote from: ArchBishop on April 14, 2007, 10:49:49 AM
I'd like to think so, but my brother 3series, my parents Saab and my friends cars all fall under the common trouble sports that CR list.

You're really not listening.  CR is a guide, and the used car guides they make are a little better, but overall, it's not the best thing to go by.  Try Edmund's consumer reviews for a better indication.  Using CR is like going strictly by every other mag's 40,000 mile road test.  It isn't conclusive enough for the average consumer.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

ro51092

Who voted for the 9-3? I don't really understand why anyone would take that car over the other offerings. Just my opinion, though. I don't have much experience with Saabs. I drove the 9-3, and I didn't like it at all. The shifter's a mess, and, although it handled nicely, it didnt feel like a cohesive car.

TheIntrepid

Archbishop reminds me of Jake Miller.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

omicron

Quote from: ro51092 on April 14, 2007, 09:42:27 AM
You aren't talking about the 2.0T, right? It's not a monster under the hood, but it's quick.

No no, the NA 2.0. Base model sold here - 96kW / 129hp, 195Nm / 144lb-ft.

Galaxy

Quote from: ArchBishop on April 14, 2007, 09:34:22 AM

The Mini and Beetle enthusiast clubs must have not gotten your memo. After all making such horrible cars your hobby can not be logical.?

See, personaly I do not like the Maxima. That does not make it a bad car it just does not appeal to me. The Audis do not appeal to you and that is fine, however do not go around demanding that other people to share your point of view.

Champ

Quote from: ro51092 on April 14, 2007, 05:52:08 PM
Who voted for the 9-3? I don't really understand why anyone would take that car over the other offerings. Just my opinion, though. I don't have much experience with Saabs. I drove the 9-3, and I didn't like it at all. The shifter's a mess, and, although it handled nicely, it didnt feel like a cohesive car.
It's a nice car if you have to factor in price, but that of course wasn't the question in this pole so it would be hard to pick.  Now maybe if it was still a hatch back I could go for it...I like my utility!

What else didn't you like about the 9-3?  If you get used to the shifter it will feel normal (i.e. everyone raves about say the S2000's shifter, and they hate the Saab one.  But I miss more shifts in the Honda than in my car).  The car does handle very well for a FWD car, and the 2.0T is much smoother than VW/Audi's.  I can't stand how rough VW's sound with that engine.  And of course the new Aero has that excellent V-6!

Raza

Quote from: ro51092 on April 14, 2007, 05:52:08 PM

If you didn't like it, you weren't meant to.  But that's okay.  You can live in your ugly gray world with your BMWs.

:devil:
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

ro51092

Quote from: Raza  on April 15, 2007, 04:03:12 PM
If you didn't like it, you weren't meant to.  But that's okay.  You can live in your ugly gray world with your BMWs.

I'll take Porsches too.

the Teuton

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=8495.msg418437#msg418437 date=1176674592
If you didn't like it, you weren't meant to.? But that's okay.? You can live in your ugly gray world with your BMWs.

Raza, admittedly I'm in love with E21s and E30s far more than the newer BMW 3 Series, but why do you hate them so much?  It it because it's Camry-common in the entry lux realm?
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Raza

Quote from: the Teuton on April 15, 2007, 04:05:29 PM
Raza, admittedly I'm in love with E21s and E30s far more than the newer BMW 3 Series, but why do you hate them so much?  It it because it's Camry-common in the entry lux realm?

I was shot by a 3 series driver.

:ohyeah:
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Vinsanity

I skipped over most of this thread, but are the CTS and C-class in question for the poll 2008 models?

chevyguy06

Quote from: Vinsanity on April 15, 2007, 04:16:49 PM
I skipped over most of this thread, but are the CTS and C-class in question for the poll 2008 models?

Yes
'05 Ford Escape XLT V6

ArchBishop

Quote from: Galaxy on April 15, 2007, 04:38:15 AM
The Mini and Beetle enthusiast clubs must have not gotten your memo. After all making such horrible cars your hobby can not be logical.?

See, personaly I do not like the Maxima. That does not make it a bad car it just does not appeal to me. The Audis do not appeal to you and that is fine, however do not go around demanding that other people to share your point of view.

When did I demand Anyone share my point of view. The truth is, if you really enjoy "spirted Driving" there are better choices than the audi.

ro51092

Quote from: ArchBishop on April 15, 2007, 09:58:09 PM
When did I demand Anyone share my point of view. The truth is, if you really enjoy "spirted Driving" there are better choices than the audi.

Yeah, the BMW. Other then that, what? Please enlighten us.

ArchBishop

Quote from: ro51092 on April 15, 2007, 10:01:47 PM
Yeah, the BMW. Other then that, what? Please enlighten us.

G35 > audi. Easily.
Acura TL-S?