2008 BMW M3 vs others

Started by 1 BAD 7, April 08, 2007, 12:39:27 PM

1 BAD 7

In developing the new M3 BMW claims to have taken steep measures to keep the weight down. The new engine despite being a V8 is not great deal more heavy then the I-6 in E46 M3. The carbon fiber roof has been added as well as other measures to keep the weight down and very close to the outgoing E46 M3. So overall the car despite being more roomy and having a V8 is very near outgoing M3's weight.?

The new M3 power to weight ratio is 8.4 Ibs per horsepower. To get an idea of its performance potential I was wondering what others cars in its class have the same power/weight ratio.

Oh and the new M3 looks sexy and aggressive.

For great deals on all your traveling/entertainment and automotive [Nissan, Chrysler, Dodge] buying needs visit.

www.KayaniTravel.com

HeyThatsNick

The S5 is like the nice girl that you bring home to mom.  It's pretty, its comfortable but it eats a little too much.  The M3 is like the somewhat anorexic slut that you call to your house for a great night.  I'll take the M3.  What a brilliant car.

nickdrinkwater

HeyThatsNick

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on April 08, 2007, 01:55:24 PM
Has anyone even driven it yet?

Nope, but you know it will be a screamer of an engine, it will have a manual gearbox, it employs extensive use of lightweight and hardcore materials such as the carbon fiber, and look at the size of those brakes!  In fact, look at the whole thing!  It looks badass.

Rich

Still has a strut front suspension :(
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

VetteZ06

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

850CSi

Submariner

2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

70 grand is too steep IMO for a 3 series.

I think when the time comes it'll be the upcoming GT-R.

450+hp, AWD, looks like nothing else on the road, 911 turbo level track performance,  Mmmmhhhh.

ro51092

sportyaccordy

Close to the last one's weight? How is 85kg, or close to 200#, close in weight? Not to mention, the RS4 beats it engine wise, as will the C63 or whatever... it's not much different in appearance to a 335i coupe... and most importantly, nobody has driven it yet! LOL... Kayani you are not of this world

The Pirate

Quote from: HotRodPilot on April 08, 2007, 02:53:26 PM
Still has a strut front suspension :(

Score one for my lowly Honda Civic!  :lol:

Struts or not, you can't argue with what the M engineers (and BMW) have achieved with the 3er suspension.  It's very well-rounded and capable IMO.  A small plus is that strut suspensions can be lower maintenance than a double wishbone or control arm suspensions.  It's a simpler design, and thus there are less moving parts (ball joints, bushings, etc.).  Space efficiency is much improved as well, which helps fit that V8 under the hood.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

TBR

It all comes down to price. If it does cost around $70k, then I would much prefer a RS4. If it is less, it would have to be a damn good car to keep me from a CTS-V (that car looks so mean in person, so much better than the regular model) or S4.

BimmerM3

Quote from: 565 on April 08, 2007, 06:42:35 PM

450+hp, AWD, looks like nothing else on the road, 911 turbo level track performance,  Mmmmhhhh.

Who came up with this 70k figure? It better not be much more than 60k or BMW will be making a huge mistake, even if the car is absolutely remarkable.

850CSi

Quote from: sportyaccordy on April 08, 2007, 07:18:21 PM
Close to the last one's weight? How is 85kg, or close to 200#, close in weight? Not to mention, the RS4 beats it engine wise, as will the C63 or whatever

:confused: It weighs 68 lbs more than the E46 while gaining two cylinders and more than 80HP. BTW the RS 4 makes 6 more HP and is nearly 600lbs heavier.

850CSi

Quote from: BimmerM3 on April 08, 2007, 09:14:05 PM
Who came up with this 70k figure? It better not be much more than 60k or BMW will be making a huge mistake, even if the car is absolutely remarkable.

No one really knows. I would certainly hope it's closer to $60K, but it's all supply and demand - BMW will charge what it thinks it can sell it for.

The RS 4 starts at $66K, BTW, and it's the most direct competitor to this M3.

If an E90 is made, that might end up being both less expensive and lighter than the E92 (based on the fact that the E90 is less expensive than the E92 at both 335 and 328 levels - the other part is still up in the air because the E92 328i is heavier than the E90 variant while the E92 335i is lighter than its E90 variant, the differences are rather small in both cases)

In any case, the RS 4 already weighs nearly 600 lbs more than the E92.

LonghornTX

Close to the last one's weight? How is 85kg, or close to 200#, close in weight? Not to mention, the RS4 beats it engine wise, as will the C63 or whatever... it's not much different in appearance to a 335i coupe... and most importantly, nobody has driven it yet! LOL... Kayani you are not of this world
They are actually closer to ~70lbs according to most sources, I don't know where you got 200 lbs from.? With regards to the engines of the M3 vs. RS4, there really is no comparison to me.? The M3s engine makes the same power and slightly less torque from less displacement, has a higher redline, and employs weight saving technology, making for one of the lightest v8s in the world and a car that is 500+lbs lighter.? The RS4 is a bit of a pig in comparison.?

Any really, what else could they have done to change the appearance from a 335i coupe?? They have changed almost every body panel, added a CF roof, changed the styling of both the front and rear (dramatically), added a prominately different hood, wheel setup, and mirrors.....I mean come on? :rolleyes:, other than making a completely different model out of it (which would be contraditory to the M3s purpose and would thus change its name to something other than M3), what else could they have done?
Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week.

850CSi

I think this one looks about as different from the E92 as the last M3 looked from the E46. I guess it could use a little more aggresive wheel arches but that's all they could really change. The front and rear bumper design is significantly different.

Lebowski

If the sedan does come in about the same weight as the coupe, and ~600lbs less than the RS4, and well equipped for around $60k, then that would be pretty sweet.

1 BAD 7

First of I dont know where are you getting 70K figures from. From all accounts the new M3 will be arround $55K which is far less then $70K price tag that you are suggesting. Second the GT-R will be $70K plus car not M3. As for performance we will have to wait and see.

But right off the bat I can tell you that GT-R will be more of a raw sports car. Where as M3 is a hyper luxury sports GT with very useable back seats for every day use. ;)

The two cars will be very different and will not be in same class much like how M3 and Corvette are not in the same class. I think GT-R will compete more with Corvette then M3. :ohyeah:

Quote from: 565 on April 08, 2007, 06:42:35 PM

450+hp, AWD, looks like nothing else on the road, 911 turbo level track performance,? Mmmmhhhh.

For great deals on all your traveling/entertainment and automotive [Nissan, Chrysler, Dodge] buying needs visit.

www.KayaniTravel.com

Raza

I still can't believe you people have drivers' licenses, considering you're all blind, thinking that car is attractive.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

1 BAD 7

First off calm down and stop foaming at mouth :rolleyes:.

I am from this world for asking a valid question while you seem to be from planet "dumb dumb" for just going off the deep end for no reason at all.? :rolleyes:

My info is more correct then yours as others have already pointed out to you. The new M3 has a V8 vs I-6 and considering that the weight saving is very decent in my opinion. Not to mention that the E92 M3 is significantly larger and more roomy overall in interior space vs the E46 M3 and comes with more standard features.

As for the looks you have to be blind to think that there is not much difference in M3's looks vs those of the 335i.? One quick glance and you can tell that E92 M3 is no run of the mill 335i. Infact if you compare E92 M3 vs 335i and E46 M3 vs 330i the E92 M3 looks far more aggressive and sporty looking then E46 M3 ever looked compared to its regular 3 series counter parts.

Last but not least I never said anything about the fact that if anyone has driven it or not :rolleyes:.

I just asked a basic question that based on weight/hp ratio what other cars does M3 compares to when it comes down to basic performance figures to get a rough idea of how it will stack up. :huh:

But you are from a different planet of "dumb dumb" to get your panties in a bunch over a simple basic question :rolleyes:

Calm down man life is too short for going of the deep end with no apparent reasons ;)

www.KayaniTravel.com

1 BAD 7

Well feelings are mutual?because I think you are blind for not thinking it is an attractive car :P

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=8502.msg411830#msg411830 date=1176144637
I still can't believe you people have drivers' licenses, considering you're all blind, thinking that car is attractive.

www.KayaniTravel.com

MexicoCityM3

Of course M3 FTW. <----- I am NOT objective on this matter.

And those of you comparing it to the CLK63 Black Edition, are you out of your mind? That Merc will cost as much as an M6 :confused:
If anything, its a compliment to the M3 to be compared to that thing.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

1 BAD 7

The E92 M3 power/weight ratio of 8.4 Ibs per hp is better then that of Porsche 911 Carrera S @ 9.14 Ibs per hp. The price difference is $55K appx. vs $85K. It is also better then a $110K Aston Martin Vantage V8 with power/weight ratio of 9.24 Ib per hp. As for MB CLK they only offer Cabriolet version which costs nearly $89K and still has power to weight ratio of 8.7 Ibs per hp.

As for the CLK63 AMG Black I love its looks :ohyeah:. But it will cost $130k-$140K :cry: and the power to weight ratio will be appx. very close to that of M3. Since it will weigh only slightly less then the CLK cabriolet according to automotive sources.

Even when compared to the in house bone stock super light weight version of E46 M3 CSL which by the way cost nearly $77K plus in price the new E92 M3 has similar power to weight ratio of 8.4 Ibs per hp.

I think E92 M3 will be one heck of a fine GT performance car. :partyon:

www.KayaniTravel.com

SVT_Power

way to ruin a perfectly nice looking car.

"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Champ

Quote from: Kayani_1 on April 09, 2007, 01:13:33 PM
Well feelings are mutual because I think you are blind for not thinking it is an attractive car :P
The back end is also "meh" which I assume is why there are not very many pictures of it.  It's not particularly attractive to me.

omicron

I can't even understand. The half posts this in thread.