Tiburon?

Started by Rupert, April 08, 2007, 04:47:41 PM

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raghavan

Rupert

Quote from: TBR on April 08, 2007, 10:07:32 PM
Not going to happenIf you want a SUV this seems like the best option.Good luck finding a Volvo wagon with a 5-spd. I'd avoid a SHO for reliabilty concerns, the MX6/Probe is certainly a good option though, one that I very seriously considered (if I didn't find the Prelude when I did I probably would be driving a Probe).You're going to have a hard time finding a newer sports car in your budget.One of my friends used to have the exact truck you described (early '90s F-150 I6 4x4 with the 4MT), and it got crappy gas mileage and cost more than $3k. If you want a truck I would look for a compact V6.Can't say I blame you there, but what about a Maxima?

So, yeah, not really looking for a Civic.

^Terrible quote... My bad.

But I know all that (well, except the bit about the truck). ;) The list is to give people an idea of what sort of thing I'm looking for. I figure, if people are gonna contribute ideas, they may as well be somewhat more aligned with what I want than some that have been posted. ;)
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Rupert

Quote from: ro51092 on April 08, 2007, 10:09:22 PM
http://bellingham.craigslist.org/car/308340335.html  -That could be fun.
http://bellingham.craigslist.org/car/306345975.html  -Even better

http://bellingham.craigslist.org/car/303187563.html  -WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU WAITING FOR!!!!???

The Z is intriguing, but the Porsche has a bad head gasket. I'm not dealing with that! (And I've definitely considered it).
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Raza

Quote from: Psilos on April 08, 2007, 10:15:41 PM
Use these, Raza.

Thanks, Psilos. 

If that 944 price is indicative of how much the NA ones cost, I'd hold out for something without body damage, but that's a good car.  I mean, it's not Trooper practical, but the hatch gives you good space, and the rear seats fold as well.  Decently quick too, I hear.  BMWDave's friend bought one not too long ago, maybe he knows more about them.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

USA_Idol

Quote from: TBR on April 08, 2007, 09:44:55 PM
There were 3-gens. The first two had the V6 and the third the V8. I suppose you could say that the second gen was just a refresh of the first, but pretty much all of the sheetmetal is different.

Yes, there are three generations of Taurus:
1986-1995
1996-2007
2008- ?

:lol:

Rupert

That 2000 Ranger could be what I want. I'm gonna pursue it. Does anyone know lots about Rangers, and might I acquire some advice on what to look for? Seems like I always hear that they're good in terms of performing their basic function for a long time, but less so in terms of fit and finish, etc.

Rupert

Quote from: Raza  on April 08, 2007, 10:20:06 PM
Thanks, Psilos. 

If that 944 price is indicative of how much the NA ones cost, I'd hold out for something without body damage, but that's a good car.  I mean, it's not Trooper practical, but the hatch gives you good space, and the rear seats fold as well.  Decently quick too, I hear.  BMWDave's friend bought one not too long ago, maybe he knows more about them.

Yeah, I'd love one. It's on the future list of second cars, with Miatas, late '70s 911s, modified (by me) VW Bugs, etc.

Raghavan

Quote from: Psilos on April 08, 2007, 10:22:16 PM
That 2000 Ranger could be what I want. I'm gonna pursue it. Does anyone know lots about Rangers, and might I acquire some advice on what to look for? Seems like I always hear that they're good in terms of performing their basic function for a long time, but less so in terms of fit and finish, etc.
Let us know how it goes.
The '88 Ranger isn't  bad but has no A/C or stereo or anything.

Rupert

And it's old and in kind of mediocre condition, even with low miles.

The Pirate

I had a 91 4x4 that I traded with over 170K miles.  It needed a tranny rebuild around 150K miles, which shouldn't be an issue with the newer one.  Some Rangers in that late '80s/early '90s (mine included) had a Mitsubishi transmission, which was garbage.  That 2000 should have a Mazda tranny, which is a more robust unit.

Otherwise, the truck was a runner, and I abused the shit out of it.  It's just like you said; fit and finish wasn't the greatest, and it had a crappy ride, but mechanically it was fine.  The 4cyl models are slow, but decently fuel efficient and you can put a lot of miles on 'em.

Mine was a regular cab, and light as hell in the back, so it was pretty squirrelly in anything other than dry pavement.  A couple of sandbags worked wonders.  Any more specific questions, let me know.  This is off the top of my head, I'm sure I can dredge back into the recesses and remember more.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Rupert

Danke. I'm familiar with the sandbag method. My parents have an S10 with the 4.3 L V6 that had bald tires. Damn.

USA_Idol

The two Rangers we've had in our family were surprisingly reliable.  Cabin quality is just average, but at least they don't have any squeaks and rattles.  Bucket seats are more comfortable than the bench, though the bench isn't horrible (way better than S10's bench).  Good little truck, overall.  Gutless with the four-cylinder, though...regardless of transmission.

Rupert

I don't need guts in the truck. I have plenty. ;)

It just has to be able to do 85 for a few hours. :lol:

the Teuton

If you don't care about speed, get yourself a 2.2 liter Impreza or Legacy and have a car that will run forever.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

ro51092

Quote from: Psilos on April 08, 2007, 10:15:41 PM
The Z is intriguing, but the Porsche has a bad head gasket. I'm not dealing with that! (And I've definitely considered it).

How about the VR6?

Rupert

That sounds like a pain in the ass. Anacortes (where the car is) ain't exactly next door, and the guy selling it isn't there. That's a recipe for annoying, if nothing else.

Rupert

Quote from: the Teuton on April 08, 2007, 10:45:25 PM
If you don't care about speed, get yourself a 2.2 liter Impreza or Legacy and have a car that will run forever.

Indeed. And that's why Subarus are on my above list. ;) :lol:

Rupert

It's sick how much time one spends thinking about cars they might buy...

Right now, I'm debating whether or not to follow up on this ad:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=218072692&dealer_id=59617979&car_year=1992&model=&num_records=25&make3=SUB&make2=BMW&start_year=1988&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&search_type=both&distance=75&model3=&model2=&make=VOLVO&color=&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceDESC&address=98225&advanced=&end_year=1996&doors=&transmission=&max_price=3500&cardist=4

It's a pretty nice car, from all appearances, but it's got a damned automatic transmission. I dunno if I like that idea. It's also a sedan, but I think the cool/fun factor would outweigh that well enough.

Laconian

d00d I'll sell you my Camry for cheap.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Rupert

Man, if it comes to a Camry, you'll be the first to know.

How cheap? :lol:

omicron

75 cents, and a rubber band.

Rupert

Shit, man, I got the rubber band and 64 and a half cents. Whaddaya say?

omicron

Quote from: Psilos on April 09, 2007, 02:02:30 AM
Shit, man, I got the rubber band and 64 and a half cents. Whaddaya say?

He's a fool if he doesn't accept.

Rupert

I could even throw in a few bits of eraser, if need be.

USA_Idol

That Volvo 960 looks like it's in decent condition.? I dunno for sure, but I don't think you can get a manual in that car.? With that engine, anyway.? I could be wrong, however.? ?:huh:

omicron

Quote from: Psilos on April 09, 2007, 02:07:00 AM
I could even throw in a few bits of eraser, if need be.

Settle, mate; it's not a bloody Roller. ;)

Onslaught

MX-3 GS? The V6 ones are fun but finding one that's still in good shape could be a problem. I had one for years with no problems but then again that was 10 years ago.

ChrisV

Quote from: Psilos on April 08, 2007, 09:56:00 PM
The list is basically:

-older BMW or Mercedes-- effectively impossible, because it would have to have low miles, been well maintained (with documentation), be in perfect condition, and still be $3k or under.

Not even SLIGHTLY impossible, as the E30 and E12/E28s are both available for well under that dollar figure and reliable AND fun. I've found dozens of them in the $1k range, which would leave you a couple grand for initial maintenance and then you're done.

Look at 323s and 325s, or 528s.

I've even found NICE early 6 series coupes for around 3 grand.

I was looking at cars for my kid when he gets his driver's license in a year, instead of bringing the Comet coupe over from Seattle, and found quite a few of these cars.

Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...