Would you rather...

Started by rohan, April 15, 2007, 09:18:27 AM

If you got stopped today for speeding 70 in a 45 zone and you have no other tickets on your driving record- what ticket would you want the officer to give you...

Speeding ticket for 3 points for 2 years and $55 bucks
1 (3.2%)
general violation ticket for 0 points $250
7 (22.6%)
energy ticket 3 points that drop off after 8 months and $150
1 (3.2%)
Locked up over night $30 fines
3 (9.7%)
Car tagged to inform other officers you were stopped- no other action that day
19 (61.3%)

Total Members Voted: 27

rohan

Just curious- I've got a new guy to my shift who's been put here on a secondary roads grant by the state- he's out there banging away on the speeders and was just curious.  I'm not a big fan of the state government funding local police to only write tickets.  He cna't take any calls other than TC's and otherwise lend a hand to my patrol deps when they need it.
http://outdooradventuresrevived.blogspot.com/

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

dazzleman

I'd prefer the warning above the other options.

If that weren't available, I'd probably rather pay $250 and keep my record clean, since insurance increases can be more costly that fines if the insurance company finds out about the ticket(s).  Luckily for me, they never have.... :evildude:
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Raghavan

I'd be locked up for $30 if i didn't get any points.

JYODER240

/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

ifcar

Who wouldn't take the warning? :huh:

Raghavan

But warning isn't one of the options?

ifcar

Quote from: Raghavan on April 15, 2007, 10:14:18 AM
But warning isn't one of the options?

"Car tagged to inform other officers you were stopped- no other action that day"

Raghavan

Oh. Oops. :lol:

Wait, don't you still get a ticket?

rohan

Quote from: Raghavan on April 15, 2007, 10:15:17 AM
Oh. Oops. :lol:

Wait, don't you still get a ticket?
no you'ld get a red sticker on your back window and only a police department could remove it after say- 30 days because it'ld be entered into our computer system or something like that.? The down side is if you get pulled over with that sticker on the car and entered into our computer then you'ld probably get no breaks at all- and it would make you a target for the whole time it was on there.?   I guess maybe I should have put that in my first post so everyone knew what I meant.  But no- you wouldn't be ticket that first stop witha tag on your window.

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

Eye of the Tiger

I'd rather just pay the $250 and be done with it. It would be even more convenient if the officer would be able to swipe my credit car in his cruiser.? :praise:
Any points on my license would raise my insurace rates, which is multiplied if you have more than one vehicle to insure, and even more being a male under 25!
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

ro51092

I'd buy a radar. Maybe I should, I'm due for a ticket.

rohan

Quote from: ro51092 on April 15, 2007, 10:55:07 AM
????????????????????????

So you can write yourself a ticket?

~Chief Seattle

dazzleman

Quote from: ro51092 on April 15, 2007, 10:55:07 AM

I'm due for a ticket too..... :pullover:
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Colonel Cadillac

I chose to get a warning, but being locked up with a $30 fine would make for quite a story :lol:

However, being locked up depends where I am. If I am in my hometown...bring it on! If I am one of the two cities next to me or a few towns up (Stamford, Norwalk or Bridgeport), I might be a bit more apprehensive about spending a night in jail; especially Bridgeport.

Catman

We have these state grants.  They amount to a forced quota in my opinion.  If you want the OT you'll need to write tickets. :lockedup:

JYODER240

Quote from: rohan on April 15, 2007, 10:45:42 AM
no you'ld get a red sticker on your back window and only a police department could remove it after say- 30 days because it'ld be entered into our computer system or something like that.? The down side is if you get pulled over with that sticker on the car and entered into our computer then you'ld probably get no breaks at all- and it would make you a target for the whole time it was on there.?? ?I guess maybe I should have put that in my first post so everyone knew what I meant.? But no- you wouldn't be ticket that first stop witha tag on your window.

What happens if you remove the red sticker yourself so none of the other cops notice you?
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

Onslaught

Quote from: JYODER240 on April 15, 2007, 01:40:37 PM
What happens if you remove the red sticker yourself so none of the other cops notice you?
The same people who come and take you away for removing pillow tags get you.
And I would take the last answer  on the poll.

Vinsanity

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on April 15, 2007, 01:37:04 PM
I chose to get a warning, but being locked up with a $30 fine would make for quite a story :lol:

"hey honey, can you drive me to pick up my car at my friend's house?"

"where is your friend's house?"

"at the impound lot" :banghead:

hounddog

Quote from: JYODER240 on April 15, 2007, 01:40:37 PM
I can answer that!? If it is entered into the computers, and we run your plates for any reason and it shows your vehicle should have a red warning sticker where there is none; that would be a primary infraction and stop and a traffic citation.? Perhaps a "Tampering with traffic infraction window label" infraction, with say, four points and maybe $250 fines and costs.? ?It would do two things, keep people from having to have traffic tickets for their initial infraction, and keep them driving politely during the thirty or so days the sticker was in place on the rear window.? ?And it would be admissable in court as it had been entered into the computers.

Because then, the officer stopping the car for the second infraction could do a couple different things; he could issue a full shot ticket for his violation plus anything else he finds at the stop.? Secondly, he could contact the initial officer via LEIN message and notify them they stopped the guy for doing basically the same thing.? The initial officer could then write and certified mail the citation resulting in the violator effectively receiving three tickets for the second violation.? 1)Second speed ticket? 2)Tampering with traffic window label? 3)Original speed.? ? It would be perfectly legal as well, as in Michigan we have one year from the initial infraction to issue a citation if we so chose on civil infractions.  So the thirty days would fall well within that timeframe.? Other statutes apply to misdemeanants.? This might actually encourage people to drive a little more safely, unlike what we have in place now.? Not a bad idea at all, Randy!? You know what they say, even a blind squirrel can find a nut once in a while! :P
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

Raza

I'd rather not get stopped.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

dazzleman

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=8618.msg418508#msg418508 date=1176678889
I'd rather not get stopped.

Drive within the law, and you won't.  But for some of us, that's not really an option... :lol:

hounddog

Quote from: dazzleman on April 15, 2007, 05:21:50 PM
Drive within the law, and you won't.? But for some of us, that's not really an option... :lol:
It is really like a very good game of hide and seek:  you speed , we seek.     And we have that much fun!  "It's all good!" :pullover:
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

dazzleman

Quote from: hounddog on April 15, 2007, 05:24:58 PM
It is really like a very good game of hide and seek:? you speed , we seek.? ? ?And we have that much fun!? "It's all good!" :pullover:

I look at it as a football game.

Every time I get away with something, I score a field goal.  When I get nailed, the law scores a touchdown.

As long as you're ahead of the game, you can't get too upset if your opponent puts a few points on the scoreboard.  You just can't fumble the ball too much and let him score against you too often.... :lol:

It's all in good fun for me, as long as there's no unsafe driving.

Raghavan

Catman, if you ever gave me a ticket, would you give me a headstart for me to get away from you? Man, a real cop pursuit would be fun.

dazzleman

Quote from: Raghavan on April 15, 2007, 05:55:23 PM
Catman, if you ever gave me a ticket, would you give me a headstart for me to get away from you? Man, a real cop pursuit would be fun.

It's only fun if you end up getting away..... :lol:  Otherwise, you're f&$ked when they finally catch you.... :lockedup:

Raghavan

I like the Ford Mustang GT-H commercial where the two cops are chasing each other, one in the GT-H and the other in the cop car.
I want to do that. :rockon:

The Pirate

$250 fine and no points all the way!  I have no problem paying the state for my driving transgressions, I just don't want to be putting my insurance agent's kids through college.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

dazzleman

Quote from: The Pirate on April 15, 2007, 06:09:33 PM
$250 fine and no points all the way!? I have no problem paying the state for my driving transgressions, I just don't want to be putting my insurance agent's kids through college.

Pretty much my sentiments exactly.... :ohyeah:

Raza

Quote from: dazzleman on April 15, 2007, 05:21:50 PM
Drive within the law, and you won't.  But for some of us, that's not really an option... :lol:

Not an option for me, either.  But I do have a funny story about my drive today...

But then again, it could be an option if they raised the speed limits to reasonable levels.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

dazzleman

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=8618.msg418640#msg418640 date=1176684395
Not an option for me, either.? But I do have a funny story about my drive today...

But then again, it could be an option if they raised the speed limits to reasonable levels.

So what's the story, man?

What would a reasonable speed limit be?  65 mph in residential zones and 140 mph on the highway?   :evildude: