Refresh-athon Continues!: 2006 PT Cruiser

Started by LostBoy, June 16, 2005, 11:00:08 PM

LostBoy

Courtesy of Edmunds.com...

My comments:  I'd need to see the original to even know the difference...what do you think?  The phallic cupholder/transmission area is nice, though.  Suddenly, column shifters don't seem so bad.  :lol:

Chrysler Unveils Freshened 2006 PT Cruiser

Date Posted 06-16-2005

2006 PT Cruiser

It may not look like much from the outside, but the PT Cruiser gets a refresh for 2006 that should help it fend off the new competition from Chevrolet.

CHELSEA, Mich. ? Chrysler previewed its 2006 PT Cruiser to the media Thursday at its proving grounds here. The PT Cruiser retains its retro look but adds the corporate face of other Chrysler models, a new interior and a boost in horsepower. The convertible version receives all the same upgrades.

On the outside, changes are minimal: updated front and rear fascias, a grille with the Chrysler winged badge, chrome accents, and new headlamps and foglamps. Inside, the instrument panel has larger gauges, the radio sits higher, the glovebox is bigger and the center console has a sliding armrest and covered storage. New audio features include MP3 capability.

Standard features have been added, as well as more options including side airbags and Sirius Satellite Radio with a free first-year subscription.

Under the hood, PT Cruisers with the High-Output Turbo engine add horsepower, to 230 from 220. Torque remains the same, at 245 pound-feet. No changes were made to the standard 2.4-liter, 150-hp, normally aspirated engine.

The freshening comes as sales of this unique car, unveiled in 2000 as a 2001 model, have slumped and as General Motors' Chevrolet Division introduces its PT Cruiser look-alike, the HHR. The PT Cruiser and the HHR were fashioned by the same designer, Bryan Nesbitt, who left Chrysler for GM.

What this means to you: The PT Cruiser now offers an even better interior to go with its stylish shape. If Chevrolet thought the HHR was going to have it easy, it better think again.

giant_mtb

The interior seems to be the only major change. (and it's not all that much different)  It's nice, though. ^_^

mazda6er

The headlights, the grill, and the size/shape of the fender flares are different. The interior is an improvement. Never really liked this car anyway, but it's not less pleasing than the previous version.
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

mazda6er

WTF! Is it just me or are those window switches mounted in the middle of the center console?! I've seen them near the shifter often enough, but never even close to that high! Wait, apparently the current version has that as well...strange <_<

--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

giant_mtb

Yeah that is pretty strange...it would take a while to get used to...lol

Secret Chimp

Outside on the front, it looks like they just chipped a little winkle off of the headlights. I was hoping for something more like the California Cruiser concept:

Yeah, it has a headlight winkle cut, but those are way cooler headlights =P

The interior is neato, though. Hopefully it isn't a glare-o-rama when the sun comes in through the windows the wrong way. Sometimes I get problems just from the metal shift plate on my Outback.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

BMWDave

The interior is very retro and nice, although there isnt much change to the exterior.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

Catman

ifcar

How quickly the New Beetle soars from our minds...

At least the PT got a new dash design.  

TBR

The design looks much better imho, but the exterior changes are hardly noticeable.