Would You Buy a Used CV Police Interceptor?

Started by Morris Minor, April 23, 2007, 08:24:28 AM

Morris Minor

A friend of mine bought one a year or so ago with about 80k on the clock and has been very pleased with it. He got it from a dealer that specializes in selling used cop cars. I'm considering doing the same as a possibility for use by my teenage daughter, who will soon be eligible to get her permit.

Large (unfashionable ;)) cars are recommended as training wheels by my insurance company as a good, safe, bet for youngsters. Funnily enough she is not averse to the idea - several of my kids' compatriots drive around in Buicks etc.

Any thoughts?
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

93JC

As long as it's properly examined by a mechanic, I don't see why not. When I was in high school a very large percentage of kids drove Buicks and Oldsmobiles.

TheIntrepid

So a Crown Vicky or an Impala then? When I had my permit, I learned from my dad's company '04 or '03 Impala LS with the 3800... it was an absolute DOG. Still taught me to drive very well though. After I learned to park that thing, I could parallel or reverse park anything, including an Econoline Club Wagon I drove last summer.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

L. ed foote

Thought about getting one a few times myself.  Still entertaining the idea.  What's holding me back is that I owned a 1985 Caprice back in 2003.  Cost me over $45 to fill the tank.  Gas hasn't gotten any cheaper, and the distances I've driven hasn't gotten any shorter.
Member, Self Preservation Society

Catman

Hmm, I wouldn't unless it was a detective or admin car.  Patrol cars are worn out at 80K and drive pretty bad.

giant_mtb

I would if it was in good condition and was more of a private-duty car.  I wouldn't want a car that had been used every single day all day and was driven like a race car on numerous occasions.  :huh:

It's a great idea, though.  Your daughter will become known as The Intimidator 'cause everyone will slow down when they see her thinkin' it's a cop!  :thumbsup:

sparkplug

If she give you 80% percent of all the ticket proceeds it would be a good idea. Well she can't do that anyway. Only the real police can pull people over arrest them. I would however pay attention to her eating habits. If she gets a Krispy Kreme member are starts talking with those 10- codes then you're in trouble.

thewizard16

They're generally cheap, and if looked at and taken care of afterwards, they'll run a while. I don't see why not.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

SVT_Power

Don't police departments have mechanics who look at the police vehicles as a job? So i assume it would be relatively well taken of
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Raza

No, no, never, no.  Not unless reliability isn't an issue.

These things idle all the time, get driven through loads of weather conditions, and just overall have the shit beaten out of them.  I'd buy one for a demolition derby, but that's about it.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

thewizard16

Quote from: Raza on April 24, 2007, 12:19:19 AM
No, no, never, no. Not unless reliability isn't an issue.

These things idle all the time, get driven through loads of weather conditions, and just overall have the shit beaten out of them. I'd buy one for a demolition derby, but that's about it.
When you can pick them up for $500-$1000, it's a great short term car for those that just need wheels. Those engines generally last a long time, even with their treatment. It's what they're designed to do. Around here the cops cycle through the cars rather quickly, so the ones being sold aren't that old, or even that bad mileage wise, considering.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

JWC

The two main problem areas are leaks at the rear diff and cracked intake manifold.    We service them at our dealership and they do get abused.  Had one roll in for overheating.  Had bean plants jammed in front of the radiator after the deputy chased a pickup through a field.

Also check for misaligned rear doors, around the top edge, where the arrested try to kick the glass out. Fix a lot of those.

Around here, cars are retired after 100k miles.  The ones with less miles and retired are ones that had some major failure and the department didn't want to invest the money just to drive it another 20k and then retire it.

L. ed foote

Quote from: Raza  on April 24, 2007, 12:19:19 AM
No, no, never, no.  Not unless reliability isn't an issue.

These things idle all the time, get driven through loads of weather conditions, and just overall have the shit beaten out of them.  I'd buy one for a demolition derby, but that's about it.

Or a taxi...

I would think that they'd be cheap to fix if something wen't wrong with them.
Member, Self Preservation Society

GoCougs

Sometimes the police models are also outfitted with heavier-duty parts (alternator, radiator, etc.) that will be more expensive to replace. This is probably minor though.

If it were me, I'd pass on it. I'd be worried about a breakdown on the highway, late at night, or out in the middle of nowhere.

I'm not sure exactly what they're charging for these things, but I've seen loads of used privately-owned Crown Vics and Grand Marquis for unbelievably cheap prices: like three year old examples for $10,000.

For a teen driver I'd opt for a somewhat low mileage mid '90s Accord.

Raza

Quote from: thewizard16 on April 24, 2007, 01:57:25 AM
When you can pick them up for $500-$1000, it's a great short term car for those that just need wheels. Those engines generally last a long time, even with their treatment. It's what they're designed to do. Around here the cops cycle through the cars rather quickly, so the ones being sold aren't that old, or even that bad mileage wise, considering.

Like I said, demolition derby.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

hounddog

Quote from: Morris Minor on April 23, 2007, 08:24:28 AM
. I'm considering doing the same as a possibility for use by my teenage daughter......
......Large (unfashionable ;)) cars are recommended as training wheels by my insurance company as a good, safe, bet for youngsters. Funnily enough she is not averse to the idea - several of my kids' compatriots drive around in Buicks etc.

Any thoughts?
You have put two things together I think you might want to put some more thought into.? Young teenage daughter with a very large six person car.? Here are just a few pieces to consider;

More than one passenger can be a distraction
Large back seat (hint hint)
Not such great mileage
Not the safest car on the planet, but not too bad either.
Possibility of forking over large quantities of whatever currency your country uses to repair police abuse
LARGE back seat.

I think they are ok for boys, however, I can not see me sending my daughter off in a very large car with very large rear seats.  I would find her a very safe smaller car which would be far less conducive to back seat gymnastics.  But that is just me.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

The Pirate

Olds Intrigue and Buick Regals would be good choices.  The GM 3800 is a good drivetrain, and they are decently big and safe cars that should be affordable to keep on the road.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

TheIntrepid

The Pirate

1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

hounddog

Quote from: TheIntrepid on April 24, 2007, 01:50:25 PM
Slow as fuck though.
Uhhh, did you read the original post?  He is buying it for his teenage daughter, not to street race.  Geesh. :rolleyes:
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

TheIntrepid

Quote from: hounddog on April 24, 2007, 01:52:36 PM
Uhhh, did you read the original post?  He is buying it for his teenage daughter, not to street race.  Geesh. :rolleyes:

Still; my mom's the one doing 55 in the left lane with her blinker left on, and she thinks her 3800 Allure is too slow. There's slow, and there's hopeless.

Morris Minor

Hmm... sounds like I need to rethink.
(Morris peruses Autotrader for single-seat cars, with built-in chastity belts)

TheIntrepid

hounddog

Quote from: Morris Minor on April 24, 2007, 02:52:29 PM
Hmm... sounds like I need to rethink.
(Morris peruses Autotrader for single-seat cars, with built-in chastity belts)
Now you are using that head for something other than a beer receptacle!

Just looking after a fellow daddy!
~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

Catman

Quote from: hounddog on April 24, 2007, 02:56:17 PM
Now you are using that head for something other than a beer receptacle!

Just looking after a fellow daddy!

:lol:

Get a Corolla or something. 

TurboDan

I never understood the logic of giving kids HUGE vehicles.  Aren't they just more difficult to maneuver, park, and handle?  Not saying all parents should give their kids BMWs, but I think a small, well-handling car would be my preference for my kid.  In addition, many new drivers misjudge things like trees, bushes, shopping carts, etc. when parking and with such a large vehicle, you could be replacing alot of taillights.

Raghavan

J86

Quote from: TurboDan on April 24, 2007, 11:53:32 PM
I never understood the logic of giving kids HUGE vehicles.? Aren't they just more difficult to maneuver, park, and handle?? Not saying all parents should give their kids BMWs, but I think a small, well-handling car would be my preference for my kid.? In addition, many new drivers misjudge things like trees, bushes, shopping carts, etc. when parking and with such a large vehicle, you could be replacing alot of taillights.

Yeah, but when your moronic kid turns left in front of two lanes of oncoming traffic doing 45, if the vehicle's huge odds are that the other people are gonna be gettin' pried outta their cars while your little angel walks away.

Not condoning it, but that's the rationale...

Morris Minor

Quote from: TurboDan on April 24, 2007, 11:53:32 PM
I never understood the logic of giving kids HUGE vehicles.  Aren't they just more difficult to maneuver, park, and handle?  Not saying all parents should give their kids BMWs, but I think a small, well-handling car would be my preference for my kid.  In addition, many new drivers misjudge things like trees, bushes, shopping carts, etc. when parking and with such a large vehicle, you could be replacing alot of taillights.
I think it's because, if you are going to be in a wreck, it's statistically safer to be in a big vehicle than a little vehicle. I guess that's why my insurance company recommends them.

I'll also be sending  her on an Audi Driving course up at Road Atlanta. I did this for my son a could of years ago and it was a great help. "You are driving on the freeway behind a truck, and a refrigerator falls off it into your path. This is what you do."

(Morris would be glad he chose brown underwear that morning)

Raza

I love the logic that your kid will be a dumbass and will get into a wreck. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i