supposedly new C&D test 350z vs Shelby GT vs rx8 vs TT. Anyone get C&D yet?

Started by 565, April 23, 2007, 11:09:20 AM

Sorry for not having much info, I just read about it a bit here and there, never got to see it myself.

Supposedly both the Z and Shelby GT ran a 13.6 quarter.

http://www.rx8club.com/showthread.php?t=114690&page=1

But the rx8 wins.

Here's what's been said so far.

"--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just got my C&D in the mail.

they had a shootout between the new Audi TT, 350Z, Mustang Shelby, and the RX8.

Mustang came in LAST.
350Z was Third.
Audi TT was Second.
RX8 WON!!!!!!!!!!!!!

they basically said the shelby was fast but a big fat unrefined POS.
the 350z was the quickest on the track but it was "japanese corvette". lots of bang for the buck but no refinement.

the RX8 was underpowered and gulped fuel....like we don't now that... but they said it carried the most speed through turns and was the easiest one to drive fast. they said despit being an older design and underpowered, it was the most fun.

I don't even own one..and now I want an RX8 even more. "

I hope this review will put some of those Shelby GT vs 350Z discussions to rest.  Can't wait to see the article myself.

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SVT666

afty

The Z got the new VQ35HR engine this year, so I'm not surprised at the quick 1/4-mile time.  I am pretty surprised that the RX-8 won, though.

r0tor

i'm suspicious until i see the issue... its very rare when C&D picks an older model ahead of the new releases
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

LonghornTX

A good win for the RX8.  They must have really felt a connection with it on the track, considering how slow it is compared to the others.

Considering that they included the TT (easily a 40K car), why not also include the GT500 and NISMO 350Z?  I guess we will see when we can actually read the article.....
Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week.

LonghornTX

Quote from: 565 on April 23, 2007, 11:13:37 AM
I hope this review will put some of those Shelby GT vs 350Z discussions to rest.  Can't wait to see the article myself.
Not likely  :P.

SVT666

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Nethead

The Nethead here has not seen the article, but these are four fine vehicles under any circumstances.  Someone made the point that if one of these four is indeed $40,000 then a GT500 at $40,930 list should be included and the NISMO 350Z (the Nethead here does not know the list of a NISMO Z) and perhaps some others in the low $40Ks. 

But these are the four they tested so post it if you got it!
So many stairs...so little time...

Cobra93

Yep. Just like the Mustang vs. GTO thread validated the GTO's 3:1 sales performance superiority over the Mustang. :tounge:

Cobra93

Quote from: r0tor on April 23, 2007, 04:17:20 PM
at being last  :ohyeah:

HAHAHAHAHAHA  :rolleyes:. I spanked an RX-8 at a stoplight Grand Prix the other night with my wife's 300C. Of course it was drizzling a bit and that's some awesome traction control.  :ohyeah:

sandertheshark

How in the hell do you put a Mustang and an Audi TT in the same comparo???

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

r0tor

Quote from: sandertheshark on April 23, 2007, 05:35:45 PM

all the cars tested have 2 useful seats and 2 useful doors :mask:

LonghornTX

It is definately a wierd setup for sure.  I am guessing the TT was probably a stripper 2.0T, or else the exclusion of the GT500 and NISMO (a vehicle they just did a short review on) would seem pretty strange to me.  A modestly equipped TT is over 40K....

S204STi

C/D's comparos have sucked on wheels lately.  I won't be renewing. :frown:

Catman

The RX8 has a lot of nice things about it but some real drawbacks too. I think I'd take the Z here.

S204STi

Quote from: Catman on April 23, 2007, 06:34:42 PM
The RX8 has a lot of nice things about it but some real drawbacks too. I think I'd take the Z here.

Ditto.

NomisR

Rx8 is not a fast car but the engine is smooth.  I sometimes miss having the rotary engine.... you can rev it up and it just feels right..  no piston engine can replace that.

Plus the Rx8's easily controllable and it's really easy to drive and keep in control, you don't have to wrestle with it, it's like an extension of your body..

Raghavan

Quote from: NomisR on April 23, 2007, 07:29:41 PM
Rx8 is not a fast car but the engine is smooth. I sometimes miss having the rotary engine.... you can rev it up and it just feels right.. no piston engine can replace that.

Plus the Rx8's easily controllable and it's really easy to drive and keep in control, you don't have to wrestle with it, it's like an extension of your body..
Shaddap, you have an Elise now. :P

TheIntrepid

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

850CSi

I hope this review will put some of those Shelby GT vs 350Z discussions to rest.? Can't wait to see the article myself.

No one really cares what C&D thinks.

850CSi

Thank You.

Out of these, I'd take the TT but I'm a dash stroker.

ro51092

850CSi

Quote from: ro51092 on April 24, 2007, 12:34:01 AM
Gimme the Shelby GT.

It depends on the circumstances for me. If it's a second car, then certainly the Shelby GT. But if it's a DD I'd rather have the TT.

ro51092

Quote from: 850CSi on April 24, 2007, 12:37:12 AM
It depends on the circumstances for me. If it's a second car, then certainly the Shelby GT. But if it's a DD I'd rather have the TT.

Fuck the TT, it looks nice and all, but it's just an AWD (if quattro) GTI.

Really, it isn't a bad thing, but this segment is a step above the GTI and pocket rockets, and I want something to that level.