Mercedes concept car copies fish

Started by ifcar, June 17, 2005, 05:18:15 AM

ifcar

Drawn to Scale: Mercedes-Benz Designs Car Based on Fish

Mercedes calls its concept a bionic car, because it is based on elements found in nature.

With gas prices and environmental concerns at high levels, one automaker has found inspiration for a a fuel-efficient car in a tropical fish. Mercedes-Benz's so-called bionic car, a fully functioning concept vehicle, is modeled completely after one animal ? the boxfish.

"Using bionic research, engineers were able to take an example directly from nature and use it to design a new vehicle that boasts superior aerodynamics, rigidity and fuel consumption," said Michelle Murad, spokeswoman for Mercedes-Benz USA.

A relatively new field, bionic research seeks to apply principles and systems found in nature to modern technology's development and design. Mercedes-Benz recently conducted its own bionic research study, seeking ideas for an "aerodynamic, safe, spacious and environmentally compatible car."

The company claims the boxfish has ideal aerodynamics.

While the shark and dolphin are faster and sleeker swimmers, it was the boxfish that caught the automaker's eye. Despite its cube-shaped body, the tropical fish's shape purportedly achieves an aerodynamic ideal. Mercedes-Benz also says the fish's skin consists of numerous hexagonal, bony plates that provide maximum strength with minimal weight and effectively protect the animal from injury.

Engineers applied both of these principles to the concept car's unconventional design ? hence the bionic aspect.

Most noticeably, the car's shape is substantially based on the boxfish. The rear wheels are also partially covered by body panels, and exterior mirrors have been replaced with cameras, reducing drag in both cases. Mercedes-Benz says the car has a coeffecient of drag ? a measure of aerodynamics ? of 0.19, even better than the Chevrolet Corvette's, which is 0.28.

Mercedes' engineers even attempted to emulate bone formation in designing the car's underlying structure. "The structure's geometry is altered so that you can use the minimal amount of material with minimal weight and achieve the maximum structural rigidity," Murad said. "It makes for a much safer car."

The concept car's shape and light weight ? along with a diesel engine ? are enough to obtain up to 70 mpg, Mercedes says, although the company expects a production version of the car would achieve considerably less. The four-seat car measures 167 inches long, about the size of a Kia Rio.

While this particular car is not slated for production, Mercedes-Benz plans to incorporate the lessons learned from its bionic research into future designs.

BMWDave

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

ifcar

BMWDave

It looks a lot like the Honda Insight from the back.

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

And too much like the 00-04 Focus inside.

TBR

QuoteAnd too much like the 00-04 Focus inside.
I don't see any Focus in it at all. Anyway, the whole idea is very interesting, but the result is hideous.  

giant_mtb

So now Benz is turning into fish experts?  :rolleyes:  :lol:  

ifcar

QuoteAnd too much like the 00-04 Focus inside.
I don't see any Focus in it at all. Anyway, the whole idea is very interesting, but the result is hideous.
The odd angles bring to mind a Focus, it's the only other remotely similar vehicle.

BMWDave

The interior looks like molten clay.

2007 Honda S2000

giant_mtb

I deffinitely wouldn't wanna be in an accident with it... all that glass...How can they call that safe?  :rolleyes:  

SargeMonkey

`79 Civic Cvcc
`81 Civic 1300xl
`78 Silverado Camper 454
`70 Chevy Fleetside (non running)
`91 Camry XL All-trac 4cyl
`86 Toyota Pickup (475k miles)
`92 Jeep Wrangler Renegade 4" lift 35" tires.

Raza

As long as Mercedes doesn't make it, I'm happy.  I think they're going down some slippery slopes with the new S class, the R class, and the new service policy.  MB needs to step it up, realize its mistake, and rectfy it.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

BMWDave

QuoteAs long as Mercedes doesn't make it, I'm happy.  I think they're going down some slippery slopes with the new S class, the R class, and the new service policy.  MB needs to step it up, realize its mistake, and rectfy it.
The R Class looks fine;  its definitely not bad looking...its just a nice minivan.  The new S Class is fine on the outside, but this fish car is definitely a bad idea.

2007 Honda S2000

saxonyron

GMABIGB!   (That's "Get me a bag - I'm gonna barf!")

What's the point?  Good thing they didn't decide the average poop was aerodynamic and come out with a "turdmobile", because those things are sure found in nature!  This idea was tried with some success by another auto maker - Oscar Mayer decided to go forward with another naturally occuring design theme...

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

Run Away

Since when were things named for their box-like shape aerodynamic? (Boxfish)

"
"Using bionic research, engineers were able to take an example directly from nature and use it to design a new vehicle that boasts superior aerodynamics, rigidity and fuel consumption," said Michelle Murad, spokeswoman for Mercedes-Benz USA."

I wonder how stupid she felt saying that....:P

BMWDave

QuoteSince when were things named for their box-like shape aerodynamic? (Boxfish)

"
"Using bionic research, engineers were able to take an example directly from nature and use it to design a new vehicle that boasts superior aerodynamics, rigidity and fuel consumption," said Michelle Murad, spokeswoman for Mercedes-Benz USA."

I wonder how stupid she felt saying that....:P
:lol:  

2007 Honda S2000

thewizard16

QuoteIt looks a lot like the Honda Insight from the back.
It looks a lot like crap all around.    :angry:  
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

BMWDave

QuoteIt looks a lot like the Honda Insight from the back.
It looks a lot like crap all around.    :angry:
That too :P  

2007 Honda S2000