Question for you guys about SUV's

Started by hounddog, April 24, 2007, 01:41:13 PM

hounddog

Since I came home, we are having trouble getting me in and out of our cars.? We have a BMW 330 convertible, and a Ram 2500.? I get into the Ram ok, but it is pretty hard getting out for me.? I never really fit into the BMW all that well to start with, but now with my reduced mobility it is much harder.? We basically have sold the Cobra, and my wife never learned to drive a stick.? Combined with the fact that the state took my OPS, I would not use that car anymore anyway.?

What I am wondering is, what would you guys all recommend for a car that can fit three kids, a cripple and his wife?? As you know I am pretty good size, and now I have mobility issues so I need something that can fit me while not giving me problems where Katharine feels she needs to help me all the time.? She has her hands full keeping our kids going in the same direction and should not have to worry about me getting in and out and falling down.? ? We have talked about it and think it is time we bought either a mini van or SUV.? I like Randy's girlfriend (Erica) Durango which is what I would buy, but I know there are probably better suited cars out there.? Any thoughts?
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

TBR

TheIntrepid

I thought Freestyle too; but a Mazda5 might be good too. :huh:

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

SVT666

Freestyle/Taurus X.  We have one and it's perfect for what you are looking for.

hounddog

I do not know the Freestyle, what is it?
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

SVT666

This is a Freestyle.  All three rows boast best in class legroom and headroom.  The third row is actually roomy enough that I can sit there comfortably and I'm 6'1" and 225 lbs.

VetteZ06

The Taurus X is a good suggestion. You could also take a look at a Saturn Outlook or GMC Acadia, depending on your price range.

hounddog

Quote from: HEMI666 on April 24, 2007, 02:31:24 PM
This is a Freestyle.? All three rows boast best in class legroom and headroom.? The third row is actually roomy enough that I can sit there comfortably and I'm 6'1" and 225 lbs.

In all honesty, this seems smaller than an Explorer.  If it is as big or smaller than that, it will be too small I think.  Remember, I am 6'5 and pretty big so I do need some shoulder and hip room (passenger side only now).  Plus, I have my walker with me now all the time.  I was honestly thinking bigger, but pictures can be deceiving.  Is it as small as it looks?
~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

mazda6er

I agree with most here. The Freestyle probably has the best combination of interior space and ease of entry/exit on the market. It's a bargain as well, IMO.
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

hounddog

Quote from: VetteZ06 on April 24, 2007, 02:36:43 PM
The Taurus X is a good suggestion. You could also take a look at a Saturn Outlook or GMC Acadia, depending on your price range.
Taurus X looks like a Pacifica fighter?  If it is I think it might still be too small.?  Thoughts?
~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

mazda6er

Quote from: hounddog on April 24, 2007, 02:40:34 PM
In all honesty, this seems smaller than an Explorer.  If it is as big or smaller than that, it will be too small I think.  Remember, I am 6'5 and pretty big so I do need some shoulder and hip room (passenger side only now).  Plus, I have my walker with me now all the time.  I was honestly thinking bigger, but pictures can be deceiving.  Is it as small as it looks?
I'm fairly certain it's actually larger than the Explorer. I'll check the numbers for ya.
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

hounddog

Quote from: mazda6er on April 24, 2007, 02:44:58 PM
I'm fairly certain it's actually larger than the Explorer. I'll check the numbers for ya.
Well then what is the one they came out with that is smaller?  And the Freestyle, it seems like that one gets really good mileage.  Or am I thinking of something else? 
~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

CJ

It's a Ford station wagon.  It basically replaced the Freestar, or whatever it's called. 

I think this would be an excellent vehicle for a person with limited mobility.  It's not as high as an SUV, but it's higher than a normal car.  It's very easy to get into and out of.  It's a very spacious vehicle.

Also, the Chrysler Pacifica.

TheIntrepid

southdiver1

Quote from: hounddog on April 24, 2007, 01:41:13 PM
Since I came home, we are having trouble getting me in and out of our cars.? We have a BMW 330 convertible, and a Ram 2500.? I get into the Ram ok, but it is pretty hard getting out for me.? I never really fit into the BMW all that well to start with, but now with my reduced mobility it is much harder.? We basically have sold the Cobra, and my wife never learned to drive a stick.? Combined with the fact that the state took my OPS, I would not use that car anymore anyway.?

What I am wondering is, what would you guys all recommend for a car that can fit three kids, a cripple and his wife?? As you know I am pretty good size, and now I have mobility issues so I need something that can fit me while not giving me problems where Katharine feels she needs to help me all the time.? She has her hands full keeping our kids going in the same direction and should not have to worry about me getting in and out and falling down.? ? We have talked about it and think it is time we bought either a mini van or SUV.? I like Randy's girlfriend (Erica) Durango which is what I would buy, but I know there are probably better suited cars out there.? Any thoughts?

Well, since you have a party of five, I would say a minivan. Most seet 7 and get better gas mileage then the large SUV's out there.
If getting in the front seat is hard, then the rear sliders should take care of that problem.
Plus most vans will be cheaper then an equal SUV
I came into this world kicking, screaming, pissed off, and covered in someone elses blood.
If I do it right, I will leave this world in the same condition.

mazda6er

Measurement           Explorer/Freestyle (larger dimension in bold.)

Exterior
Wheelbase (in.)                113.7/112.9
Length (in.)                            193.4/200.1
Height ? empty (in.)              72.8/68.2
Width (in.)                             73.7/74.9
Track width - front/rear (in.)     60.9/61.8//64.6/65.0
Ground clearance (in.)              8.2/8

Interior
Head room (in.)    
First row                             39.8/39.4
Second row                         38. 7/39.8
Optional third row               37.4/38.6
Shoulder room (in.)    
First row                             59/58.4
Second row                         58.9/58
Optional third row               53.1/50.8
Hip room (in.)    
First row                             55.4/55.5
Second row                         55.5/56
Optional third row               45.3/45.9
Leg room (in.)    
First row                             42.4/41.1
Second row                         36.9/40.4
Optional third row               34.9/33.3

So, the same size or slightly bigger in almost all measurements. I guess they're actually very closely matched... I suppose you could consider a Honda Pilot, but that's probably not as easy to get in and out of.

--Mark

TheIntrepid

mazda6er

--Mark

TheIntrepid

mazda6er

--Mark

TheIntrepid

Quote from: mazda6er on April 24, 2007, 02:57:34 PM
Oh no you didn't.

I mean, think about it. If HEIGHT is a problem, to get in and out of, then wouldn't a van be easier?

SVT666

Quote from: hounddog on April 24, 2007, 02:40:34 PM
Remember, I am 6'5 and pretty big so I do need some shoulder and hip room (passenger side only now).? Plus, I have my walker with me now all the time.? I was honestly thinking bigger, but pictures can be deceiving.? Is it as small as it looks?
No it's quite large.  My wife says she still isn't quite used to how big it is.  It would be best if you went and sat in one yourself, because I didn't realize you were 6'5" and the front passenger seat is actually higher then the driver's seat.  The driver's seat has more then enough head room for you, but the passenger seat may not.  If this isn't big enough for you, then a full size SUV or a minivan are your only options I'm afraid.

mazda6er

Quote from: TheIntrepid on April 24, 2007, 03:02:09 PM
I mean, think about it. If HEIGHT is a problem, to get in and out of, then wouldn't a van be easier?
The man has a limp, not a vagina. Kindly take your "van" talk to a different thread, sir.
--Mark

93JC

Quote from: mazda6er on April 24, 2007, 03:03:32 PM
The man has a limp, not a vagina. Kindly take your "van" talk to a different thread, sir.

:clap:

mazda6er

Quote from: HEMI666 on April 24, 2007, 03:03:18 PM
No it's quite large.  My wife says she still isn't quite used to how big it is.  It would be best if you went and sat in one yourself, because I didn't realize you were 6'5" and the front passenger seat is actually higher then the driver's seat.  The driver's seat has more then enough head room for you, but the passenger seat may not.  If this isn't big enough for you, then a full size SUV or a minivan are your only options I'm afraid.
If he can't fit into a Freestyle, the Pilot would be perfect.
--Mark

mazda6er

--Mark

VetteZ06

Quote from: hounddog on April 24, 2007, 02:42:56 PM
Taurus X looks like a Pacifica fighter?? If it is I think it might still be too small.?? Thoughts?

The Taurus X is, for all intents and purposes, a Pacifica fighter. It's about the same size, but I think the Pacifica will cost you more in most instances (unless Chrysler has started offering heavy rebates).

If the Taurus X is too small for you, like I said, take a look at an Outlook or Acadia. They have a tremendous amount of cargo room (IIRC, more than a Tahoe or Yukon), and they are designed to haul passengers in comfort.

hounddog

Quote from: mazda6er on April 24, 2007, 03:03:32 PM
The man has a limp, not a vagina. 
Oh my God, that is effing hilarious! 
~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

ifcar

Quote from: VetteZ06 on April 24, 2007, 03:06:42 PM
The Taurus X is, for all intents and purposes, a Pacifica fighter. It's about the same size, but I think the Pacifica will cost you more in most instances (unless Chrysler has started offering heavy rebates).

Pacifica's nowhere nearly as roomy, particularly in the third row.

sandertheshark

Outlook/Acadia/Enclave might be up your alley.