Question for you guys about SUV's

Started by hounddog, April 24, 2007, 01:41:13 PM

The Pirate

Quote from: VetteZ06 on April 24, 2007, 02:36:43 PM
The Taurus X is a good suggestion. You could also take a look at a Saturn Outlook or GMC Acadia, depending on your price range.

I saw an Acadia in traffic the other day, and it looked damn good!  It's certainly worth a look.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

hounddog

Quote from: VetteZ06 on April 24, 2007, 03:06:42 PM
The Taurus X is, for all intents and purposes, a Pacifica fighter. It's about the same size, but I think the Pacifica will cost you more in most instances (unless Chrysler has started offering heavy rebates).

If the Taurus X is too small for you, like I said, take a look at an Outlook or Acadia. They have a tremendous amount of cargo room (IIRC, more than a Tahoe or Yukon), and they are designed to haul passengers in comfort.
Kat and I stopped one night and looked into the window of a Pacifica.  We thought with everyone it was too small.  But the Taurus X is a great looking car, actually a little better looking than the Pacifica. 

I think we are going to start looking at mini vans and SUV's to be honest.  That is why the thread; I am looking for multiple options.  I can not get out when Kat is at work, and I get too tired to sit at the comp. and look for hours.  Thanks for what you guys have added so far.  I think our first stop will be a Freestyle, and then ....  Durango maybe followed by ?  There is no budget for this, we just need to find something we can all go in and take stuff and maybe our dog.?
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

ifcar

If you are still considering a minivan (definitely makes sense for your situation), look at the Odyssey, Sienna, and Entourage/Sedona. Otherwise, the Freestyle, Pilot, or Outlook/Acadia.

mazda6er

Quote from: hounddog on April 24, 2007, 05:18:57 PM
Kat and I stopped one night and looked into the window of a Pacifica.  We thought with everyone it was too small.  But the Taurus X is a great looking car, actually a little better looking than the Pacifica. 

I think we are going to start looking at mini vans and SUV's to be honest.  That is why the thread; I am looking for multiple options.  I can not get out when Kat is at work, and I get too tired to sit at the comp. and look for hours.  Thanks for what you guys have added so far.  I think our first stop will be a Freestyle, and then ....  Durango maybe followed by ?  There is no budget for this, we just need to find something we can all go in and take stuff and maybe our dog.?
A Durango might be a little higher up than most of the other choices mentioned, so it could be a little tough getting in and out, but it is pretty darn roomy inside.
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

Raghavan

Quote from: mazda6er on April 24, 2007, 03:03:32 PM
The man has a limp, not a vagina. Kindly take your "van" talk to a different thread, sir.
:lol:
:clap:

I'd look at the Pilot or MDX. Our MDX is the older version, and is a bit smaller than the new one, and it seems enormous to me, and i'm 6' 1", so maybe you'd fit in just fine.

VetteZ06

Quote from: ifcar on April 24, 2007, 05:17:28 PM
Pacifica's nowhere nearly as roomy, particularly in the third row.

I was thinking that might be the case. I haven't spent an extensive amount of time in either vehicle, so I wasn't sure.

I think a crossover or a minivan would work well for your situation, hounddog. Personally, I can't imagine myself driving a minivan, so my first stop would be the GMC dealer to check out the Acadia. I took a good look at one this past weekend and it was impressive. :ohyeah:

nickdrinkwater

SVT666

Quote from: Raghavan on April 24, 2007, 07:08:32 PM
:lol:
:clap:

I'd look at the Pilot or MDX. Our MDX is the older version, and is a bit smaller than the new one, and it seems enormous to me, and i'm 6' 1", so maybe you'd fit in just fine.
I looked at a Pilot that was parked in front our building this morning and if a Freestyle isn't big enough, then that's way too small.

crv16

I'm 6'4" tall, and our Pilot is plenty roomy.  I've got a few inches of clearance betwen the top of my head and the headliner.  The seat position is good for someone my height too.  Standing outside the car, my butt is exactly the same height as the seat bottom.  No need to climb up or drop down into the seat.

The Pilot handles pretty good (C&D top 5 pick for several years), has good acceleration and an awesome tranny.  Downside is fuel economy - we get 15-18mpg in suburban driving.

They are pretty cheap right now.  Honda is offering cheap financing or dealer cash, so you can get into a new Pilot (FWD LX) for around 23 grand.

http://www.vtec.net/forums/one-message?message_id=672237
09 Honda Accord EX-L V6
09 Subaru Forester X Premium 5 speed

SVT666

Quote from: crv16 on April 25, 2007, 09:27:39 AM
I'm 6'4" tall, and our Pilot is plenty roomy.  I've got a few inches of clearance betwen the top of my head and the headliner.  The seat position is good for someone my height too.  Standing outside the car, my butt is exactly the same height as the seat bottom.  No need to climb up or drop down into the seat.

The Pilot handles pretty good (C&D top 5 pick for several years), has good acceleration and an awesome tranny.  Downside is fuel economy - we get 15-18mpg in suburban driving.

I guess you missed the part where he has three kids and walker. :ohyeah:

93JC

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on April 25, 2007, 07:06:31 AM
Used X5?

:nono:

Ridiculously expensive for what it is, relatively small on the inside for its size.

Raza

Quote from: 93JC on April 25, 2007, 10:33:46 AM
:nono:

Ridiculously expensive for what it is, relatively small on the inside for its size.

Still a bad value, but the X3's interior dimensions are practically the same.  If he's so inclined, that may be a place to look. 

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

crv16

Quote from: HEMI666 on April 25, 2007, 10:08:55 AM
I guess you missed the part where he has three kids and walker. :ohyeah:

I've got 3 kids too... The Pilot seats 8.
09 Honda Accord EX-L V6

SVT666

Quote from: crv16 on April 25, 2007, 10:41:59 AM
I've got 3 kids too... The Pilot seats 8.
and has no room left for a walker behind the 3rd row.

hounddog

Well we are going to look this afternoon.? Our list starts goes like this so far;
Freestyle
Expedition
Tahoe
Acadia
Durango
Caravan
Pilot
the big Nissan suv
and a couple other asian vans/suvs

Thanks guys, appreciate you input.? I will let you know.

"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

SVT666

Quote from: hounddog on April 25, 2007, 10:57:58 AM
Well we are going to look this afternoon.? Our list starts goes like this so far;
Freestyle
Expedition
Tahoe
Acadia
Durango
Caravan
Pilot
the big Nissan suv
and a couple other asian vans/suvs

Thanks guys, appreciate you input.? I will let you know.

Cool.  Good luck.

crv16

The Freestyle has 22.5 cu ft cargo space behind the 3rd row, vs 15.9 for the Pilot.

The Pilot comes standard with a split rear seat. 

When we bought the Pilot, we considered an Odyssey, but found it to be way too big.  It felt like we were driving a bus.  The Pilot is almost 2 feet shorter than the Freestyle (and the Ody), making it a bit more maneuverable.
09 Honda Accord EX-L V6

Raghavan

The Pilot/MDX has plenty of room with the 3rd row down.

SVT666

Quote from: Raghavan on April 25, 2007, 12:51:13 PM
The Pilot/MDX has plenty of room with the 3rd row down.
Yeah, but with 3 kids and the walker he'll probably want the third row up with plenty of room behind it.

Raghavan

SVT666

Quote from: Raghavan on April 25, 2007, 01:01:54 PM
Middle seat holds three people...
I don't know how old or big his 3 kids are and how well they get along, but I know that wouldn't fly with most families.

Raghavan

My cousin, my brother and i have sat in the middle row with no probs.

hounddog

Quote from: HEMI666 on April 25, 2007, 01:22:44 PM
how well they get along
They get along as well as I tell them to.  :heated:

They are just normal size 12 and younger.
~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

crv16

Quote from: HEMI666 on April 25, 2007, 12:56:32 PM
Yeah, but with 3 kids and the walker he'll probably want the third row up with plenty of room behind it.

What we typically do is have the smaller part of the split 3rd row seat up for our youngest, and the older two sit in the middle row.  That gives you a lot of cargo room in the back of the pilot.
09 Honda Accord EX-L V6

the Teuton

Back in my 12 and younger days living with 2 very similarly aged brothers who didn't always get along, we had a Chevy Astro.  As a mode of transportation for kids, minivans really can't be beat.  It's so  much easier to access the back seat than in an SUV, it's gets better mileage than an SUV, and it can haul more.  I hate to recommend one as much as I love them, but what would you think about a Honda Odyssey?

Other than that, the Freestyle and Acadia are tough to beat.  They're more practical than an SUV for your purposes and easier on the eyes than a minivan.  That's just my $0.02.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Catman

I'd say the Acadia/Outlook is the way to go here.  Roomy but not so high off the ground that you'd have issues.

hounddog

Quote from: Catman on April 25, 2007, 05:11:54 PM
I'd say the Acadia/Outlook is the way to go here.? Roomy but not so high off the ground that you'd have issues.
We drove six vehicles.  I am pretty beat and will get results posted tomorrow.  Have a good night, fellas.
~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

sparkplug

Since we carry around aged and crippled grandma (she's 85) I feel like my opinion should have some bearing here which is why I'm going to give it (of course). We have a Ford Windstar and a Freestyle. My grandma has an easier time getting into the Freestyle than the minivan. It's actually a little lower to ground I do believe. It's rides comfortably. It is also an incredibly spacious vehicle. We put her walker, wheelchair, overnight bad, medicine, suitcases. It's a tight fit with all that in it and the walker and wheelchair have to be folded up.

If anything you should sit in a Freestyle. I would also encourage you to sit in a Ford 500. Sure some think the 500 is bland, slow, and even ugly but at this point in time, who cares. You something you can live with. You can test drive those bigger SUVs and buy whatever you want/afford.

hounddog

Quote from: sparkplug on April 25, 2007, 09:50:34 PM
Since we carry around aged and crippled grandma (she's 85) I feel like my opinion should have some bearing here which is why I'm going to give it (of course). We have a Ford Windstar and a Freestyle. My grandma has an easier time getting into the Freestyle than the minivan. It's actually a little lower to ground I do believe. It's rides comfortably. It is also an incredibly spacious vehicle. We put her walker, wheelchair, overnight bad, medicine, suitcases. It's a tight fit with all that in it and the walker and wheelchair have to be folded up.

If anything you should sit in a Freestyle. I would also encourage you to sit in a Ford 500. Sure some think the 500 is bland, slow, and even ugly but at this point in time, who cares. You something you can live with. You can test drive those bigger SUVs and buy whatever you want/afford.
We did.  I liked it pretty well.  More later, Kat took all of this afternoon off and we are headed out again in about 5 minutes.  Had to wait for her to get ready, and to fence with Soup Deville in the Radar Detector thread.   :lol: 
~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

Tave

Quote from: mazda6er on April 24, 2007, 03:03:32 PM
The man has a limp, not a vagina. Kindly take your "van" talk to a different thread, sir.

I have infinitly more respect for the guy who drives the van because he needs space as opposed to the poseurs who get a large SUV to make their dick feel bigger. If you don't need to take the thing off-roading, then whats the point of getting it? As others pointed out, a Minivan is cheaper to own and operate and gets comparable or better mileage. I even bet that something like the Quest handles much better than a true SUV.

Besides, if you think this:

Looks tougher than this:

You're fooling yourself

As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.