Question for you guys about SUV's

Started by hounddog, April 24, 2007, 01:41:13 PM

TheIntrepid

Quote from: hounddog on April 25, 2007, 10:57:58 AM
Well we are going to look this afternoon.  Our list starts goes like this so far;
Freestyle
Expedition
Tahoe
Acadia
Durango
Caravan
Pilot
the big Nissan suv
and a couple other asian vans/suvs

Thanks guys, appreciate you input.  I will let you know.

Hounddog; PLEASE OH PLEASE do not buy a Caravan. We have the best Caravan you can get, a 2006 Grand Caravan SXT and it's absolute ASS SHIT compared to my cousin's Quest. It's slow, ugly, boring, and the Stow'N'Go seating is probably its only strong point. Oh yeah, and remember that this is coming frmo a guy who has one.

Also, @ Mazda6er, 99% of SUVs don't go off road and are fucking gas-guzzling on the road. If he already has a Ram 2500, I doubt he really wants to put in up to 1.5x as much gas if he doesn't have to. Perhaps a Quest is right up his alley. Think abotu it practically, Tave is totally right; Why does he need an SUV again? All this car is going to be doing is hauling his family around.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

SVT666

Quote from: Tave on April 26, 2007, 11:32:09 AM
I have infinitly more respect for the guy who drives the van because he needs space as opposed to the poseurs who get a large SUV to make their dick feel bigger.
Is there a bug going around that is making everyone say stupid things?  That is the lamest and most rediculous argument I have ever heard against SUVs.  If that is your rationale, then nobody should buy a sports car either.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: HEMI666 on April 26, 2007, 12:43:53 PM
Is there a bug going around that is making everyone say stupid things?? That is the lamest and most rediculous argument I have ever heard against SUVs.? If that is your rationale, then nobody should buy a sports car either.

Sports cars serve a very specific purpose. However, giant SUV's that are never taken offroad do not serve any purpose that a van couldn't do better. Unless you're talking about towing, which is a different thing altogether.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Tave

Is there a bug going around that is making everyone say stupid things?? That is the lamest and most rediculous argument I have ever heard against SUVs.? If that is your rationale, then nobody should buy a sports car either.

It must be tough to be so much more intelligent than everyone else.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

TBR

Sports cars CAN serve a very specific purpose, that doesn't mean that many actually serve this purpose. It is the exact same with SUVs.

Tave

No more ridiculous than the idea that driving a van is only for people with vaginas.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

SVT666

Quote from: Tave on April 26, 2007, 12:52:30 PM
No more ridiculous than the idea that driving a van is only for people with vaginas.
Was that my statement?

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: TBR on April 26, 2007, 12:50:04 PM
Sports cars CAN serve a very specific purpose, that doesn't mean that many actually serve this purpose. It is the exact same with SUVs.

It is just as sad to see a sports car being driven around like a grandma, as it is an SUV in the middle of a city with not a mudpuddle in sight.

Tave

Quote from: HEMI666 on April 26, 2007, 12:54:40 PM
Was that my statement?

Nope, just something you ignored.

My post wasn't a one-off tirade on SUV purchasing. You pretended like it was.

SVT666

Quote from: NACar on April 26, 2007, 12:47:19 PM
Sports cars serve a very specific purpose. However, giant SUV's that are never taken offroad do not serve any purpose that a van couldn't do better. Unless you're talking about towing, which is a different thing altogether.
That's true.  But how many sports cars do you see driven in the manner they were intended?  Everyone should drive 4 door sedans and at most a minivan I guess.

I was arguing the statement, "...poseurs who get a large SUV to make their dick feel bigger".  That statement is absolutely moronic.  I know people who say the exact same thing about Corvettes, Ferraris, Porsches, and BMWs.  It is very rare that I have actually ever seen someone driving a sports car or SUV that bought it "to make their dick feel bigger".  I would really laugh if Hounddog bought an Expedition or Acadia this afternoon and then comes and reads that statement tonight.

Tave

Quote from: HEMI666 on April 26, 2007, 01:04:50 PM
That's true.? But how many sports cars do you see driven in the manner they were intended?? Everyone should drive 4 door sedans and at most a minivan I guess.

I was arguing the statement, "...poseurs who get a large SUV to make their dick feel bigger".? That statement is absolutely moronic.? I know people who say the exact same thing about Corvettes, Ferraris, Porsches, and BMWs.? It is very rare that I have actually ever seen someone driving a sports car or SUV that bought it "to make their dick feel bigger".? I would really laugh if Hounddog bought an Expedition or Acadia this afternoon and then comes and reads that statement tonight.

Hemi, BeJESUS! Look at my post carefully again. The part you are getting so worked up over is the most sarcastic, irrelevant part of the entire thing. I wasn't commenting upon the personality of SUV buyers, I was countering the notion that you need a VAGINA to drive a minivan.

VetteZ06

Quote from: Tave on April 26, 2007, 11:32:09 AM
I have infinitly more respect for the guy who drives the van because he needs space as opposed to the poseurs who get a large SUV to make their dick feel bigger.

Oh, the originality. :rolleyes:

This "argument" becomes less meaningful every time I hear it. Sorry, but I have no tolerance for somebody who makes assinine generalizations like this one. But hey, whatever makes you feel better about yourself. :huh:

Edit - If I misunderstood what you truly meant, I apologize.

SVT666

Quote from: VetteZ06 on April 26, 2007, 01:47:38 PM
Edit - If I misunderstood what you truly meant, I apologize.
Yeah, me too.  It didn't come across as sarcastic.

Tave

Quote from: VetteZ06 on April 26, 2007, 01:47:38 PM
Oh, the originality. :rolleyes:

This "argument" becomes less meaningful every time I hear it. Sorry, but I have no tolerance for somebody who makes assinine generalizations like this one. But hey, whatever makes you feel better about yourself. :huh:

Sarcasm... I know it's hard to spot online but I thought it was kind of obvious there. I exagerrated, but the point is that driving a minivan doesn't emasculate you.

But in all seriousness, can either you or Hemi give me one good, objective reason why someone who is never going to take their vehicle out of bounds needs an SUV?

SVT666

Quote from: Tave on April 26, 2007, 01:01:34 PM
My post wasn't a one-off tirade on SUV purchasing. You pretended like it was.
I wasn't pretending, that's how it read.  I'm sorry if I misunderstood.

Tave

Quote from: HEMI666 on April 26, 2007, 01:51:42 PM
Yeah, me too.? It didn't come across as sarcastic.

My bad. I intended it to.

SVT666

Quote from: Tave on April 26, 2007, 01:51:47 PM
But in all seriousness, can either you or Hemi give me one good, objective reason why someone who is never going to take their vehicle out of bounds needs an SUV?
Towing.

Tave

VetteZ06

Quote from: Tave on April 26, 2007, 01:51:47 PM

I've owned two minivans in the past, and I upgraded to an SUV when I started towing on a regular basis and taking the family on long roadtrips. The vans were well-suited for roadtrips most of the time, but they were weighted down pretty easily (this has probably been negated by the increasing amount of power going into vans these days), and our Suburbans/Tahoes have been more pleasant to drive over long distances. But that's just me. :huh:

Tave

Quote from: VetteZ06 on April 26, 2007, 01:58:49 PM
I've owned two minivans in the past, and I upgraded to an SUV when I started towing on a regular basis and taking the family on long roadtrips. The vans were well-suited for roadtrips most of the time, but they were weighted down pretty easily (this has probably been negated by the increasing amount of power going into vans these days), and our Suburbans/Tahoes have been more pleasant to drive over long distances. But that's just me. :huh:

I don't think your power argument is negated at all. Minivans are still underpowered compared to SUV's. If people want a V8 they're going to have to look somewhere else. Does any minivan offer one?

I've always found minivans to be more comfortable on long trips. Even in the Suburban I feel cramped in the back. Because of the seating configuration of minivans, I always have somewhere to put my legs.

SVT666

Quote from: Tave on April 26, 2007, 02:03:35 PM
I don't think your power argument is negated at all. Minivans are still underpowered compared to SUV's. If people want a V8 they're going to have to look somewhere else. Does any minivan offer one?

I've always found minivans to be more comfortable on long trips. Even in the Suburban I feel cramped in the back. Because of the seating configuration of minivans, I always have somewhere to put my legs.

In the driver's seat I find SUVs to be far more comfortable.  The seats and the seating position tend to be more comfortable.  Power is another and I find minivans have a lot more bodyroll.  SUVs usually have stiffer suspension.  Another is winter traction since most minivans don't have AWD.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: HEMI666 on April 26, 2007, 02:14:22 PM
In the driver's seat I find SUVs to be far more comfortable.? The seats and the seating position tend to be more comfortable.? Power is another and I find minivans have a lot more bodyroll.? SUVs usually have stiffer suspension.? Another is winter traction since most minivans don't have AWD.

You talk about body roll like it's a bad thing. And how can you say than an SUV is more comfortable than a minivan? You got that backwards. It's true that minivans have less power, but they accelerate just as fast as SUVs, because they aren't so OVERWEIGHT.
As far as winter traction.... a FWD minivan is perfectly capable. A RWD SUV is not, so now you HAVE to get the 4x4 version.

Tave

Quote from: HEMI666 on April 26, 2007, 02:14:22 PM
In the driver's seat I find SUVs to be far more comfortable.? The seats and the seating position tend to be more comfortable.? Power is another and I find minivans have a lot more bodyroll.? SUVs usually have stiffer suspension.? Another is winter traction since most minivans don't have AWD.

They have the stiffer suspension because they need it in the unlikely event they see dirt. That suspension doesn't always translate to a nice-ride; my 4Runner was painfull to drive around Pheonix at times. Speed bumps simply murder SUV's.

SVT666

Quote from: NACar on April 26, 2007, 02:17:33 PM
You talk about body roll like it's a bad thing. And how can you say than an SUV is more comfortable than a minivan? You got that backwards. It's true that minivans have less power, but they accelerate just as fast as SUVs, because they aren't so OVERWEIGHT.
As far as winter traction.... a FWD minivan is perfectly capable. A RWD SUV is not, so now you HAVE to get the 4x4 version.
1. Body roll is a bad thing.

2. SUVs for the driver are more comfortable and generally have a more comfortable driving position.  I have always found minivans to have an awkward driving position.

3. I'm not talking about acceleration, I'm talking about the ability to maintain highways speeds going up hills and mountains when you have the entire family and all the luggage in them.

4. A FWD minivan is capable, yes.  But a 4x4 SUV is more capabale.  SUVs pretty much only come with 4x4.  It's rare to find a 2wd version.

SVT666

Quote from: Tave on April 26, 2007, 02:24:15 PM
They have the stiffer suspension because they need it in the unlikely event they see dirt. That suspension doesn't always translate to a nice-ride; my 4Runner was painfull to drive around Pheonix at times. Speed bumps simply murder SUV's.
It doesn't matter why they have stiffer suspension, they just do and that makes the body motions of an SUV a little better to take then those of a minivan.  The SUVs I've driven handle potholes a lot better then minivans.

Tave

SUVs pretty much only come with 4x4.  It's rare to find a 2wd version.

Especially with today's AWD set-ups. You still see a lot of 2WD standard pickups. I don't think I'd ever want one, but they're out there.

Tave

Quote from: HEMI666 on April 26, 2007, 02:26:32 PM
It doesn't matter why they have stiffer suspension, they just do and that makes the body motions of an SUV a little better to take then those of a minivan.? The SUVs I've driven handle potholes a lot better then minivans.

I understand that, but the tradeoff on a stiffer suspension is often a harsher ride. Most people here are okay with that, but not everyone wants a SUV that handles likes it's on rails. Personally, I would be more than satisfied with a cushy suspension in my family hauler.

SVT666

Quote from: Tave on April 26, 2007, 02:30:27 PM
I understand that, but the tradeoff on a stiffer suspension is often a harsher ride. Most people here are okay with that, but not everyone wants a SUV that handles likes it's on rails. Personally, I would be more than satisfied with a cushy suspension in my family hauler.
My personal preference is stiffer ride.  Too soft and I feel disconnected.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: HEMI666 on April 26, 2007, 02:24:37 PM
1. Body roll is a bad thing.

If body roll is always such a bad thing, why doesn't every vehicle have 20-inch diameter sway bars?
I'm not going to get into the physics and geometeries of suspensions, but bodyroll is not always a bad thing.

2. SUVs for the driver are more comfortable and generally have a more comfortable driving position. I have always found minivans to have an awkward driving position.

Comfort is purely subjective, no arguement there. I guess a stiff ride some comfortable for some people? :huh:

3. I'm not talking about acceleration, I'm talking about the ability to maintain highways speeds going up hills and mountains when you have the entire family and all the luggage in them.

I've never driven a minivan that couldn't maintain highway speeds even when fully loaded. Any modern minivan wouldn't have that problem, but perhaps an '87 Caravan 4cyl would. If you're planning on driving around with a 2000lb cargo though, maybe an SUV is best.

4. A FWD minivan is capable, yes. But a 4x4 SUV is more capabale. SUVs pretty much only come with 4x4. It's rare to find a 2wd version.

There are plenty of 2wd SUV's out there, and there are plenty of AWD minivans. With the number of FWD-based crossovers out nowadays, I don't see any sense in arguing about this.

SVT666

Quote from: NACar on April 26, 2007, 02:39:00 PM
If body roll is always such a bad thing, why doesn't every vehicle have 20-inch diameter sway bars?
I'm not going to get into the physics and geometeries of suspensions, but bodyroll is not always a bad thing.
Body roll is a bad thing, otherwise it wouldn't be a carmaker's objective to reduce it as much as possible.  Drive a first generation Sportage and then tell me you think bodyroll isn't a bad thing.