Mazdaspeed3 is too powerful

Started by SVT666, April 24, 2007, 03:56:46 PM

SVT666

OVER POWERING: Mazdaspeed 3's horses are too much for steering and handling
April 19, 2007

BY MARK PHELAN

FREE PRESS COLUMNIST

I recently left a pot of chicory-laced French Market coffee brewing too long and ended up with a drink that was too strong, bitter and lumpy.

I learned two things from this:

? I shouldn't be allowed in the kitchen without adult supervision

? Mazda left the 2007 Mazdaspeed 3 performance compact on the burner too long.

The hatchback I tested is a jumpy, over-caffeinated handful that could have been a treat if somebody had stepped in and said, "Enough. It's done."

The Mazdaspeed 3 is the hopped-up, 263-horsepower, turbocharged, direct-injection version of Mazda's wonderful 3 compact.

For my money, the Mazda 3 is the best compact car you can buy at the moment in terms of looks, value and driving pleasure. Available as either an attractive four-door sedan or a gorgeous four-door hatchback, the 3 is the embodiment of the style and performance that propelled Mazda to record U.S. sales last month, up a whopping 47.9% versus 2006.

The 3 is a wonderful package, but the Mazdaspeed is a real disappointment compared to leading sporty compacts like the Volkswagen GTI and Honda Civic Si.

Prices for the Mazdaspeed 3, which comes only as a hatchback, start at $22,240 for the Sport model, while the better-equipped Grand Touring checks in at $23,995. I tested a Mazdaspeed Grand Touring equipped with a very good optional navigation system that stickered at $25,705. All prices exclude destination charges.

Those prices compare to $20,975 for a 205-horsepower Chevrolet Cobalt SS coupe, $21,290 for a 197-horsepower Civic Si sedan, $19,900 for a 200-horsepower Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V sedan and $22,720 for a 200-horsepower VW GTI four-door hatchback.

If power equaled pleasure, the Mazdaspeed 3 would be the clear winner, but the recipe for a great front-wheel-drive sport compact is subtler than that. Unbridled horsepower can undermine steering feel and road-holding.

Mazda overcooked it. The car can fly in a straight line, but its steering feel and handling miss the mark.

The 3's powerful, free-revving four-cylinder engine simply puts out more power than the front wheels can manage. The result was that when I nailed the accelerator, I found myself more intent on keeping it aimed straight than looking for curves to carve.

The engine's 263 horsepower and 280 pound-feet of torque overwhelm the front wheels' ability to stay planted on the road and steer the car smoothly in spite of the Mazdaspeed 3's standard limited-slip differential and electronic stability control. I also found it took a lot of effort to steer at low speeds.

Mazda might have been well advised to dial the engine's output back to 220 horsepower or so -- more power than the competition, but not too much for the 3 to handle gracefully.

While the 3's chassis and steering struggle to harness its power, all the other mechanical systems perform very well.

Mazda upgraded the 3's brakes for heavy use, increasing the size of the discs and the master cylinder. The result is smooth, assured stopping under all conditions and good pedal feedback that makes it easy to modulate the brakes.

The six-speed manual transmission had smooth, short throws from gear to gear, and the light clutch was a pleasure to operate.

To improve high-speed handling, Mazda beefed up the 3's base suspension, equipping the Mazdaspeed with stiffer springs and shocks and bigger stabilizer bars. The resulting ride is a little stiff over bumps, but there's almost no body roll, squat or dive in fast curves and stop-and-go racing.

The addition of boy-racer trinkets like a rear spoiler, side skirts and low-hanging bumpers detract from the clean and lovely lines of the base 3 hatchback. Born of necessity, the 0.8-inch widening of the front fenders to house the 'Speed's 18-inch performance tires works well, but the two creases added to the hood seem pointless.

In contrast, changes from the 3's contemporary and comfortable interior are minimal and tasteful. The biggest change is the optional navigation screen, a large and legible display that rotates up out of the dashboard and its well-placed and unobtrusive controls located on the center console just in front of the shifter.

The comfortable leather seats feature well-designed side bolsters to hold you snug through fast corners, while the steering wheel features useful lighted controls for the 'Speed's very good Bose stereo.

The three-binnacle instrument cluster has a unique and appealing look, with clean, legible numbers and a 160-m.p.h. speedometer. The gauge's violet and red lighting creates a very pleasant ambience at night.

The best performance compacts -- the GTI and Civic Si -- balance horsepower and handling to brew up a smooth treat like a New Orleans caf? au lait blends coffee, chicory, hot milk and sugar.

The ingredients are there, but Mazda got the mix wrong with the 2007 Mazdaspeed 3.

Raza

I've got to say, although I haven't driven one, I tend to agree here.  That's pushing way past the accepted levels of FWD power.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

S204STi

The car likely appeals to many drivers who don't in fact ever see a curve in the road, but it seems that even then many other reviewer have found that the car's many shining points outweight the torque-steering overpowered FWD characteristic. 

I think it comes down to preference, really.  Same way many people love violently oversteering RWD sports cars with way too much power.

goldenlover1101

"The more people I meet the more I like my dog."

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: R-inge on April 24, 2007, 07:12:02 PM
The car likely appeals to many drivers who don't in fact ever see a curve in the road, but it seems that even then many other reviewer have found that the car's many shining points outweight the torque-steering overpowered FWD characteristic.?

I think it comes down to preference, really.? Same way many people love violently oversteering RWD sports cars with way too much power.

What if they MS3 cut it's power by 30%. Would they be talking shit then? Probably, but it would be about something else.
The whole thing is, just because you have the power, doesn't mean you have to use it. A good driver would have no problems pushing an MS3 to it's limits because they probably wouldn't keep the throttle pinned down while trying to exit a corner. Modulation. Modulation.

Raghavan

If they're going to give it that much power they should give it a great suspension to handle all that power, but that'd drive the cost up again, so in the first place, it should've been limited to 230 or so hp.
That's what the SRT-4 had and people called that a beast.

Eye of the Tiger

Cars are not like Cafe Au Lait coffee! Just because you have the ingredients, doesn't mean you have to mix them up and drink the same proportions the whole time!
My truck has a beastly engine, but handles like shit. Does that mean I'd preffer the original I-6 engine to "balance" it out? Hell no.

SVT666

Quote from: NACar on April 24, 2007, 07:20:58 PM
Cars are not like Cafe Au Lait coffee! Just because you have the ingredients, doesn't mean you have to mix them up and drink the same proportions the whole time!
My truck has a beastly engine, but handles like shit. Does that mean I'd preffer the original I-6 engine to "balance" it out? Hell no.
Have you ever driven a FWD car that had too much power?  I have, and the torque steer is difficult to deal with.

And to think the Caliber SRT-4 will have 300 hp and FWD. :mask:

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: HEMI666 on April 24, 2007, 07:38:43 PM
Have you ever driven a FWD car that had too much power?? I have, and the torque steer is difficult to deal with.

Yes, and I can deal with it just fine. I don't see what all the fuss is about.

ifcar

Quote from: HEMI666 on April 24, 2007, 07:38:43 PM
Have you ever driven a FWD car that had too much power?  I have, and the torque steer is difficult to deal with.

I thought the Caliber was to have AWD?

SVT666

Quote from: NACar on April 24, 2007, 07:39:21 PM
Yes, and I can deal with it just fine. I don't see what all the fuss is about.
Torque steer sucks ass.  The driving experience blows. 

S204STi

Quote from: ifcar on April 24, 2007, 07:41:44 PM
I thought the Caliber was to have AWD?

Nope.  Their AWD can't handle it.

S204STi

Quote from: NACar on April 24, 2007, 07:17:33 PM
What if they MS3 cut it's power by 30%. Would they be talking shit then? Probably, but it would be about something else.
The whole thing is, just because you have the power, doesn't mean you have to use it. A good driver would have no problems pushing an MS3 to it's limits because they probably wouldn't keep the throttle pinned down while trying to exit a corner. Modulation. Modulation.

Bingo.

ifcar

Quote from: R-inge on April 24, 2007, 07:45:57 PM
Nope.  Their AWD can't handle it.

The Caliber is a Mitsubishi Lancer, so if the Evolution will continue to be AWD, the hardware should be available. I guess Chrysler is just cheaping out, again.

Raghavan

Quote from: ifcar on April 24, 2007, 07:49:22 PM
The Caliber is a Mitsubishi Lancer, so if the Evolution will continue to be AWD, the hardware should be available. I guess Chrysler is just cheaping out, again.
I wouldn't say they're cheapening out, they're pricing the Caliber about $10k less than the EVO.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: HEMI666 on April 24, 2007, 07:42:12 PM
Torque steer sucks ass.? The driving experience blows.?

It can blow, but there are ways around it, like:

-A Limited slip diff
-Equal length driveshafts
-NOT using a MacPherson strut suspension
-Tinker with the alignment settings
-Stiffen the motor mounts

ifcar

Quote from: Raghavan on April 24, 2007, 07:52:11 PM
I wouldn't say they're cheapening out, they're pricing the Caliber about $10k less than the EVO.

They could offer an AWD version at a higher price.

Raghavan

Quote from: ifcar on April 24, 2007, 07:53:34 PM
They could offer an AWD version at a higher price.
But then it'd be too close to the EVO in terms of price.

Eye of the Tiger

I will drive the SRT4 Caliper when it comes out, because I am ever so curious as to how 300hp will feel in that thing.

ifcar

Raghavan

That car is supposed to be a pocket rocket to compete with the Si, MS3, etc.

ifcar

Quote from: Raghavan on April 24, 2007, 07:56:38 PM
That car is supposed to be a pocket rocket to compete with the Si, MS3, etc.

Mitsubishi sold both the Ralliart and EVO Lancers, roughly at the WRX and STi prices (respectively). Dodge could do the same.

But nothing about the Caliber indicates that it will be able to successfully compete against the Si et al any more than the Ralliart could.

S204STi

Ifcar, you missed the fact that Chrysler just offloaded Mitsubishi to save their own asses, so I kinda doubt Mitsubishi would contribute the necessary driveline components to make an AWD 300hp Caliber.

S204STi

Quote from: ifcar on April 24, 2007, 07:57:45 PM
Mitsubishi sold both the Ralliart and EVO Lancers, roughly at the WRX and STi prices (respectively). Dodge could do the same.

But nothing about the Caliber indicates that it will be able to successfully compete against the Si et al any more than the Ralliart could.

The Ralliart was significantly less than a WRX and nowhere near the same performace league.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: NACar on April 24, 2007, 07:53:16 PM
It can blow, but there are ways around it, like:

-A Limited slip diff
-Equal length driveshafts
-NOT using a MacPherson strut suspension
-Tinker with the alignment settings
-Stiffen the motor mounts

Holy crap... my car now has ALL these features. No joke, with about 230 HP at the crank, in low speed turns it grips like it has AWD. I'm not even joking.

Still, Mazda would have been smart to turn the torque down a bit. I plan on upping my car's power to about 260HP at the crank through cams and a header... but it prob. won't make more than 180-190 lb-ft of torque, if that, and it will run laps around a Mazda 3 in the turns.

IMO, the best way to make a FWD car is make the chassis overwhelm the engine... not the other way around. It sounds like Mazda got it backwards.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: NACar on April 24, 2007, 04:01:07 PM
Mark Phelan is an idiot.

I live in Detroit, so i get to occasionally read the 'auto reviews' from both papers in town.

I have never, ever, ever read one that was worth a damn.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: sportyaccordy on April 24, 2007, 09:01:47 PM
Holy crap... my car now has ALL these features. No joke, with about 230 HP at the crank, in low speed turns it grips like it has AWD. I'm not even joking.

Still, Mazda would have been smart to turn the torque down a bit. I plan on upping my car's power to about 260HP at the crank through cams and a header... but it prob. won't make more than 180-190 lb-ft of torque, if that, and it will run laps around a Mazda 3 in the turns.

IMO, the best way to make a FWD car is make the chassis overwhelm the engine... not the other way around. It sounds like Mazda got it backwards.

Did you post a thread about getting a new car? I must? have missed it. I can only assume it's the one in your sig... which is an Accord a H22 motor swap or something? It's not the silver one from your old sig...or you painted it primer red and the wheels flat black?? :huh:

the Teuton

Quote from: Raghavan on April 24, 2007, 07:54:22 PM
But then it'd be too close to the EVO in terms of price.

Rag, there's a decent chance, as rumor has it, that the EVO is going to start in the mid- to upper $30k range and probably top out at $40k+.  With the active center diff, yaw control, and adjustable this, that, and the other, it's gonna be an expensive beast.  Some of this was cut from the last USDM EVOs just to keep costs down. 

That's also why, as rumor has it, that the next Ralliart is going to be AWD, turbocharged but detuned, and decontented to do battle with the WRX.  Mitsu is going a bit up market.

In saying this, while Chrysler is in no position to do fancy footwork for a limited production hatchback, I think they should licence old EVO drivetrain pieces from Mitsubishi (EVO IV-VIII) to keep costs down or look into the rear diff from the Pacifica to fill the need.  AWD is cool, but because of costs, it's probably not going to happen on the SRT-4, which is a shame because my second-favorite company can pull it off in a car that starts at ~$19k.  Why can't anyone else?
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Onslaught

I'm skeptical that this would be a car that I would enjoy driving because I'm a RWD whore. But I've seen way more positive reviews of the MS3 that negative ones. I'll hold off final judgment until I've actually taken one out on the road.