Well then...

Started by giant_mtb, May 02, 2007, 03:47:48 PM

giant_mtb

My car got an alignment today, and I had the suspension checked out as well.  They replaced the front-left half-shaft (I think, unless it was a steering knuckle?  I can't remember, I'll ask my dad again when he gets home).  And also, I had a giant rattle in the back which I thought and you guys (I made a thread before) thought was a bad strut, a strut bearing, strut housing, or sway bar bushing.  Turns out that the rear sway bar was "completely off the frame" in the back-right, so they "thought about welding it back on" but then they decided to simply take it off completely...and they said that it would have no effect on the vehicle's handling characteristics or driveability.

Oh, and my gas tank leaks when it's near-full.

But...they took my sway bar off completely?  What the hell?  Will it really have no effect on my handling characteristics?  When my dad told me over the phone that they just decided to take it off completely, I almost said "what the hell?" out loud...

?

EDIT:  It was the front-left tie rod they replaced...what exactly is that, again?  Steering?

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: giant_mtb on May 02, 2007, 03:47:48 PM
My car got an alignment today, and I had the suspension checked out as well.? They replaced the front-left half-shaft (I think, unless it was a steering knuckle?? I can't remember, I'll ask my dad again when he gets home).? And also, I had a giant rattle in the back which I thought and you guys (I made a thread before) thought was a bad strut, a strut bearing, strut housing, or sway bar bushing.? Turns out that the rear sway bar was "completely off the frame" in the back-right, so they "thought about welding it back on" but then they decided to simply take it off completely...and they said that it would have no effect on the vehicle's handling characteristics or driveability.

But...they took my sway bar off completely?? What the hell?? Will it really have no effect on my handling characteristics?? When my dad told me over the phone that they just decided to take it off completely, I almost said "what the hell?" out loud...

?

WTF!? I hope you didn't get charged for "sway bar removal", because that's a piss-poor repair job right there!
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

giant_mtb

Well, I guess the reason for taking the sway bar off completely was because they couldn't weld it back on since my gas tank leaks...which would be bad.

The Pirate

Quote from: giant_mtb on May 02, 2007, 04:37:34 PM
Well, I guess the reason for taking the sway bar off completely was because they couldn't weld it back on since my gas tank leaks...which would be bad.

I wouldn't worry too much, it's not like you are going to track the car.  I had the same issue with my Pontiac Bonneville, and I took it off as well.  Drove the car for another 40K miles without any issues related to the lack of a swaybar.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Secret Chimp

When auto makers first started using stabilizer bars, they only put them up front, as that was where most of the weight was (big V8 and big automatic). If you ever push your car it will understeer more, but it's a Monte Carlo, so it doesn't matter :P

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Secret Chimp on May 02, 2007, 06:09:52 PM
When auto makers first started using stabilizer bars, they only put them up front, as that was where most of the weight was (big V8 and big automatic). If you ever push your car it will understeer more, but it's a Monte Carlo, so it doesn't matter :P

Actually, yes, it does because I drive this vehicle in the winter, and it understeered enough as it was.  And I hate the feeling of the front end pushing anyway, so going around corners even without actual slipping understeer I'm going to be able to feel it.  Ugh.

Oh well...I've got the e-brake for the winter.

Rupert

I don't think it will affect snow handling because the sway bar works by redistributing forces from the suspension across the car, and in the snow, there aren't enough forces to make a difference.

(Am I correct, people who know more?)
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Psilos on May 02, 2007, 07:59:27 PM
I don't think it will affect snow handling because the sway bar works by redistributing forces from the suspension across the car, and in the snow, there aren't enough forces to make a difference.

(Am I correct, people who know more?)

you are mostly correct... there just isn't enough traction in the snow

giant_mtb

I suppose that's true.  :huh: :rockon:

JYODER240

Did they remove the front or rear sway?
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

Soup DeVille

My car got an alignment today, and I had the suspension checked out as well.? They replaced the front-left half-shaft (I think, unless it was a steering knuckle?? I can't remember, I'll ask my dad again when he gets home).? And also, I had a giant rattle in the back which I thought and you guys (I made a thread before) thought was a bad strut, a strut bearing, strut housing, or sway bar bushing.? Turns out that the rear sway bar was "completely off the frame" in the back-right, so they "thought about welding it back on" but then they decided to simply take it off completely...and they said that it would have no effect on the vehicle's handling characteristics or driveability.

But...they took my sway bar off completely?? What the hell?? Will it really have no effect on my handling characteristics?? When my dad told me over the phone that they just decided to take it off completely, I almost said "what the hell?" out loud...

?

EDIT:? It was the front-left tie rod they replaced...what exactly is that, again?? Steering?

Front or rear sway?

Yes, the tie-rod is a very important steering part. Its connected to the rack, and without it your tire will just go all floppy.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

JYODER240

If they removed the front-sway the car will want to oversteer, if the removed the rear-sway it will understeer more.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

giant_mtb

They removed the rear sway bar.

S204STi

?

EDIT:? It was the front-left tie rod they replaced...what exactly is that, again?? Steering?

The tie rod makes the link between your steering rack and the steering knuckle.

As for completely removing the rear sway bar, your car is now guaranteed to understeer more that it normally would, which is in fact a significant impact on the handling and safety of the car.  You should have them repair whatever broke, it sounds like they are saying that the bracket on the rear subframe broke off, but more likely a mount just broke, which should be easily replaced. 

I hate mechanics sometimes. :banghead:

S204STi

BTW, if they simply remove the fuel tank they should be able to weld it up just fine.  Yeah, it costs more money though/... :frown:

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: R-inge on May 03, 2007, 06:41:55 PM
BTW, if they simply remove the fuel tank they should be able to weld it up just fine.? Yeah, it costs more money though/... :frown:
Not that hard, though, especially if he drives till it's almost empty.

Stupid Tauruses had the pump IN the tank, and were prone to failure every 80k miles or so....     :lockedup:

My SHO's died a few days before Christmas.  :banghead:
Will

giant_mtb

Quote from: R-inge on May 03, 2007, 06:40:12 PM
The tie rod makes the link between your steering rack and the steering knuckle.

As for completely removing the rear sway bar, your car is now guaranteed to understeer more that it normally would, which is in fact a significant impact on the handling and safety of the car.  You should have them repair whatever broke, it sounds like they are saying that the bracket on the rear subframe broke off, but more likely a mount just broke, which should be easily replaced. 

I hate mechanics sometimes. :banghead:

Well, nothing I can do now, it's all taken off and done with.  And yes, I did notice a little more push in the front end of the car, but I guess I'll just have to deal with it...

S204STi

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on May 03, 2007, 08:08:20 PM
Not that hard, though, especially if he drives till it's almost empty.

Stupid Tauruses had the pump IN the tank, and were prone to failure every 80k miles or so....? ? ?:lockedup:

My SHO's died a few days before Christmas.? :banghead:

Pretty much any car is going to have the fuel pump in the tank.  Sometimes it can be a pain, other times it's wicked easy.  It took me half an hour to do one in a Pontiac minivan today, payed 3.1 between diag and installation. :rockon:

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: giant_mtb on May 04, 2007, 04:07:48 PM
Well, nothing I can do now, it's all taken off and done with. And yes, I did notice a little more push in the front end of the car, but I guess I'll just have to deal with it...

Slam it dude! Get some airbags, that'll fix yer wagon!

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: R-inge on May 04, 2007, 04:10:07 PM
Pretty much any car is going to have the fuel pump in the tank.? Sometimes it can be a pain, other times it's wicked easy.? It took me half an hour to do one in a Pontiac minivan today, payed 3.1 between diag and installation. :rockon:
No rusty bolts?  :ohyeah:

Are the older ones generally harder??
Will