Official Pictures: New S Class

Started by BMWDave, June 18, 2005, 08:33:29 PM

BMWDave

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

TBR

Exterior looks great, though the fender flares might be a bit overdone. The interior is also decent except for the way the screen binnacle meets the guage binnacle, even BMW's solution looks better (two separate binnacles). I still don't understand the benefit of idrive type controllers, seems like a touch screen would work just as well, if not better.

BMWDave

The fenders are a bit too pronounced, and I dont like the guage binnacle at all.  It looks like they started to slope it down, and then decided not to and extended it.  And I still think the interior is a rip off of BMW's basic design, with the bulging center column, and i-Drive type controller with a two binnacle design.

2007 Honda S2000

TBR

QuoteThe fenders are a bit too pronounced, and I dont like the guage binnacle at all.  It looks like they started to slope it down, and then decided not to and extended it.  And I still think the interior is a rip off of BMW's basic design, with the bulging center column, and i-Drive type controller with a two binnacle design.
I agree that it is a BMW rip off, which is unfortunate since the 7-series' interior isn't very attractive imho (however, I do like the majority of the new style BMW interiors).  

Catman

I don't like it much.  The dash is awkward and the exterior isn't great either.

BMWDave

QuoteThe fenders are a bit too pronounced, and I dont like the guage binnacle at all.  It looks like they started to slope it down, and then decided not to and extended it.  And I still think the interior is a rip off of BMW's basic design, with the bulging center column, and i-Drive type controller with a two binnacle design.
I agree that it is a BMW rip off, which is unfortunate since the 7-series' interior isn't very attractive imho (however, I do like the majority of the new style BMW interiors).
Its sad that Mercedes would resort to copying a design...I thought they were too good for that :(

2007 Honda S2000

saxonyron

I see Maybach meets 7 series in the rear end.  The back might end up looking good in real life.  Also, those artificial fender flares don't fit the design at all.  Looks like a cut and paste from an Audi TT - except they work on the TT.  If this is the final cut, I'd say a step back for MB.   But then, they just came out with that stunning CLS last year - must be different design departments!

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

850CSi

Does anyone else see a bit of Lincoln LS in the side profile?
And the wheel flares are overdone.
Somehow I also see a bit of Acura RL in the overall shape.
Otherwise a generally nice exterior design. However, that's terrible for a Mercedes-Benz. I'm dissapointed.

The interior is still a hideous 7-Series rip-off, although less so in beige. The side panels look like they came out of an Audi.

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Colonel Cadillac

Secret Chimp

It looks like an Altima, RX-8 and Avalon all managed to bang each other and produce one strange child.
I also don't like the wide, upright dashboard "mouth". It looks strange, like a bad design idea from the early 90s. Slightly less of the same with the steering wheel.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

Raza

I blame BMW and their fucking iDrive and column shifter.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

BMWDave

QuoteI blame BMW and their fucking iDrive and column shifter.
Dont blame BMW for Mercedes copying them.

2007 Honda S2000

Raza

I blame BMW for the whole trend.  This is just the latest in that trend.  Audi's MMI came before.  

I can't wait till the new Lexus LS looks like all the other ones.

God, an enthusiast can't even buy a luxury car with a normal automatic anymore.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

BMWDave

I blame BMW for the whole trend.  This is just the latest in that trend.  Audi's MMI came before.  

Blame BMW for their i-Drive in their cars....dont blame BMW for Mercedes copying them.  

2007 Honda S2000

Raza

Blame BMW for their i-Drive in their cars....dont blame BMW for Mercedes copying them.
I'm blaming BMW for starting a trend.  Like I blame Abercrombie and Fitch for the "dirty and ripped" jeans and hats trend.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

SJ_GTI

Yikes.

I guess this is good news if you are a Jaguar XJ fan?  :lol:  

BMWDave

QuoteYikes.

I guess this is good news if you are a Jaguar XJ fan?  :lol:
The Jaguar XJ is an amazing car, even with the current Mercedes.  It already has amazing chances, and it doesnt need a bad redo of the S Class to help its chances. :)  

2007 Honda S2000

thewizard16

Ah ha! I knew it. I saw a camoflauged something on the Autobahn a few days ago, and I thought the rear looked very Maybach, but the front looked kindof mercedes, and I thought "Could that be the new S-Class?"  Well, I think it was, because that looks (body shape wise) identical to what I saw.

By the way, I think the interior design they show is horrible, but the exterior, though not very exciting, isn't bad.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

ifcar

The exterior is attractive, except for the fenders and the taillights. I see nothing of value in the interior, they went for a more modern design and came away with absolute garbage. I'll give it the benefit of the doubt for quality, but design and ergonomics so far appear to be simply awful.

What a pathetic attempt. I'm sure it will sell very well.

BMWDave

I am sure quality will be outstanding, but it looks horrendous.  Bleh, its horrible,

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

I'm not certain even about the quality. Either Mercedes forgot that people don't like panel gaps, or they just look especially poor in the pic released.

BMWDave

QuoteI'm not certain even about the quality. Either Mercedes forgot that people don't like panel gaps, or they just look especially poor in the pic released.
Only time will tell, but from the direction MB is in in terms of interior quality, I assume the new S Class wont dissapoint in that area.

2007 Honda S2000