Wipers

Started by CJ, May 05, 2007, 02:24:11 PM

CJ

Okay, I know this is kind of a stupid topic, but I need some help.  The Camry's wiper blades completely crapped out on us on Thursday.  Right now, I can't justify spending $40 on two wiper blades.  If you know anything about wiper blades, you know that I am talking about the Bosch ICONS.  While these come with a fairly nice warranty and I have relatives who have them who say they're excellent, I just can't justify spending that much on wiper blades.  I also have a relative who has the Trico Innovision blades.  They're happy with them.

But really, I just need some help.

NO RAIN-X WIPER BLADES.  We have those now and they have made little scratches in the glass.

Danish

I usually just go with the OEM ones for my Corolla.

One thing to watch out for (I don't know if this is the case with your car) is that on my Corolla the two wipers are different sizes, meaning that if I want to change the wipers with aftermarket ones I need to but two sets.
Quote from: Lebowski on December 17, 2008, 05:46:10 PM
No advice can be worse than Coug's, in any thread, ever.

CJ

Passenger side: 19"
Drivers side: 21"

I already know about all that jazz, but thanks for noting that. 

Raghavan

We got some no name ones from Costco for the Honda. They worked, but i noticed they don't last as long as OEM's.
And yes, you have to buy two packs.

The Pirate

I buy Bosch ones; though not the Icons.  They are $15 per wiper IIRC.  I'm happy with their performance and longevity.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

giant_mtb

I have some Michelin ones, I believe, that were somethin' like 8 bucks apiece.  They work great in both snow and wet and I haven't noticed any deterioration in their performance.

...I know someone who has those Bosch Icons and he said that they are "worth every penny"...but I certainly can't justify spending that much on wipers, either, considering how (not) often I use them...

I'd say go "mid-range" and spend around 20 bucks for a pair.

S204STi

I really dig the Icons.  I don't like the Trico design becauase it has an exposed metal transverse spring that could potentially scratch the glass badly if the wipers are neglected for too long.  All the other ones have a molded plastic aerofoil design that covers the long transverse spring, and also offers high-speed stability when wiping.

Champ

I use the ICONs and they are amazing.  I would note that it is worth spending the extra few bucks less than once a year to have perfect wipers.  They are pretty important.

Secret Chimp

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

CJ

Quote from: Secret Chimp on May 06, 2007, 04:35:40 AM

Whore.

:evildude:

I do believe that I'm going to go with the ICONS.  Gotta buy them today as it's going to rain like the dickens tomorrow.

r0tor

i'm a fan of OEM in this area
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

ro51092

I just put some Bosch Micro-Edges on the Subie today. It's been sitting around doing nothing for about a week. I think I'm going to sell it.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: ro51092 on May 06, 2007, 03:48:39 PM
I just put some Bosch Micro-Edges on the Subie today. It's been sitting around doing nothing for about a week. I think I'm going to sell it.
Too bad you're too far away...
Will

ro51092

Yeah, but I have another friend who's first in line for it.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: ro51092 on May 06, 2007, 07:05:13 PM
Yeah, but I have another friend who's first in line for it.
You're off my Christmas card list then.  :lol:
Will

GoCougs

Not sure if this has been mentioned...

Up until recently I was of the opinion that I'd never had a decent pair of wiper blades. I swear that I've never had a pair work well for more than a month or two.

Turns out my problem was not the blades themselves, but build-up of junk on the windshield. I got this stuff called "Mirror Scrub" at the auto parts store. It's a mild abrasive that scours the junk of the pores (the cause my problem). It works wonders. I have to do it ever four weeks or so.

Raza

I have Bosch blades on the Volkswagen, and they cost the same as the one blade on the Mercedes, which I believe was also a Bosch blade.  $35.  They work great.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

heelntoe

Quote from: GoCougs on May 07, 2007, 09:10:41 AM
Not sure if this has been mentioned...

Up until recently I was of the opinion that I'd never had a decent pair of wiper blades. I swear that I've never had a pair work well for more than a month or two.

Turns out my problem was not the blades themselves, but build-up of junk on the windshield. I got this stuff called "Mirror Scrub" at the auto parts store. It's a mild abrasive that scours the junk of the pores (the cause my problem). It works wonders. I have to do it ever four weeks or so.
try toothpaste next time. i cleaned all the glass with toothpaste(read it in TopGear mag) and it cleared all the road grime and stuff.
@heelntoe

etypeJohn

Quote from: heelntoe on May 07, 2007, 10:12:08 AM
try toothpaste next time. i cleaned all the glass with toothpaste(read it in TopGear mag) and it cleared all the road grime and .

You can accomplish about the same thing with a rag wetted with mineral spirits.? And, no, mineral spirits aren't strong enough to hurt the paint.

heelntoe

i just used my finger to apply the toothpaste taking care not to touch the paint.
@heelntoe

etypeJohn

Quote from: heelntoe on May 07, 2007, 10:58:36 AM
i just used my finger to apply the toothpaste taking care not to touch the paint.

Most toothpaste is a mild abrasive so I am not surprised it worked for you.  I like the mineral spirits becasue it takes about 60 seconds to do the whole windscreen.  I wash the car after I do the windscreen.

heelntoe

it's been a while since i washed my car. it gets washed every day by the security in my appartment complex.
i'll try the spirits next time.
@heelntoe

r0tor

make sure you wipe down the wiper too... most of the time the wiper is OK, it just doesn't work well because crap is built up on it
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

CJ

Bought the ICONS.  You know, it's funny.  I can't even drive yet.

Soup DeVille

It may seem silly to some, but there are a few things I don't skimp on. Although I'm a certifiable cheap-ass-SOB when it comes to most things, headlights, wipers, and brakes are always things I'll shell out the cash for.

I've been using a set of PIAA silicone wipers on the Civic for 3 years now, and I just recently upgraded to these same wipers on the wife's car and on the caddy (even though its currently undrivable). They're the best I've found.

http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/piaa/super_silicone.jsp
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator