Hot Liberty CRD Makes

Started by BMWDave, June 18, 2005, 08:37:29 PM

BMWDave

Hot Liberty CRD Makes Jeep Scramble for More Diesel Engines
Date Posted 06-17-2005

CHELSEA, Mich. ? The Chrysler Group is arm wrestling Italian engine supplier VM Motori to get more diesels so that it can increase production of the hot 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD.

Jeff Bell, vice president of Chrysler and Jeep, told Inside Line that the automaker was "hoping to get two times as many" diesel engines from VM Motori as originally requested. That would give Jeep the ability to build up to 10,000 units of the Liberty CRD by the end of this year. VM Motori is a DaimlerChrysler group member.

The Liberty CRD is so hot, Bell said, that "only the [Chrysler] 300 is selling faster in the Chrysler Group." By the end of May, more than 6,000 Liberty CRDs had been shipped to dealers. Chrysler CEO Dieter Zetsche originally said 5,000 units of the Liberty CRD would be built through 2005.

"We've been surprised by how much demand we've had," said Bell, referring to the Liberty CRD. "But Americans are naturally curious, and we will continue to promote it as an alternative."

The Liberty CRD is powered by a 2.8-liter, four-cylinder, common-rail, turbodiesel. Jeep says the Liberty CRD gets 22-percent higher fuel economy than the gas-powered Liberty, which uses the 3.7-liter, V6 engine.

Jeep does not plan to raise the price on the Liberty CRD in response to consumer demand, Bell said.

What this means to you: It may be easier to get your hands on a Liberty CRD in the future, but because of the fickle nature of American consumers, Jeep isn't committing to a huge volume increase.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

TBR

"Jeep does not plan to raise the price on the Liberty CRD in response to consumer demand, Bell said."

Good, I was afraid that might happen. I hope this means we will be getting more diesel powered vehicles from DaimlerChrysler :).  

BMWDave

Quote"Jeep does not plan to raise the price on the Liberty CRD in response to consumer demand, Bell said."

Good, I was afraid that might happen. I hope this means we will be getting more diesel powered vehicles from DaimlerChrysler :).
And other manufacturers too.  Diesels have a lot of potential here, and I hope other manufacturers see that.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

TBR

Just checked the numbers, the CDI gets 21/26 mpg compared to 17/22 mpg for a 4x4 3.7l auto (the CDI is 4x4 and auto only) for only $2000 more (you could easily get that back thanks to better resale value besides the fuel economy difference (assuming the price of diesel goes back down sometime soon of course)).  

Secret Chimp

Why are some engine options auto-only? Do they not have a manual transmission compatible with it (why did they build it that way in the first place?) or is it some kind of packaging/electronics problem?

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

Catman

I wish my Sequoia had a nice I6 diesel with a turbo! :rockon:   The 4.7L is great engine though.

Raza

Mercedes Benz was the first company to sell a diesel passenger car, so DCX selling more diesels makes sense.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

ifcar

Quote"Jeep does not plan to raise the price on the Liberty CRD in response to consumer demand, Bell said."

They won't officially raise prices, but the actual selling prices will undoubtedly be higher compared to sticker than other Liberty models. Also, they may reduce rebates/incentives for the CRD version.

Tom

No stick with the diesel?  WTF?

R33 GT-R

They don't have a clue as far as 4x4 enthusiasts are considered with the stick and diesel.  Tons of custom rock crawlers are running them now, for torque and consumption.
Dubbed:  Skanky Whore!

TBR

I understand why people are disappointed that the CRD is auto only, but, realistically, how many actual buyers will regret the lack of a manual tranismission option?  

ifcar

The same buyers looking for fuel economy in a diesel would also tend to prefer the fuel economy of a manual.  

R33 GT-R

QuoteThe same buyers looking for fuel economy in a diesel would also tend to prefer the fuel economy of a manual.
right on ifcar
Dubbed:  Skanky Whore!

TBR

QuoteThe same buyers looking for fuel economy in a diesel would also tend to prefer the fuel economy of a manual.
True, but I still don't think it will be that big of a deal to potential consumers.  

ifcar

They've already had to increase supply as it is, so that's possible. But I'd bet if they included a manual it would account for at least a full third of sales.

TBR

QuoteThey've already had to increase supply as it is, so that's possible. But I'd bet if they included a manual it would account for at least a full third of sales.
Maybe so, but they are already can't build enough of them so it really doesn't matter.

ifcar

They could always fix that by raising the price.

TBR

QuoteThey could always fix that by raising the price.
Why would they want to do that? Hype is good.  

ifcar

Profit is nice, too. One common reason for low production of a niche vehicle is that they may be selling them at a loss (entirely speculating here).

93JC

QuoteNo stick with the diesel?  WTF?
It wasn't designed to mate to a manual. Even the overseas models use the 5-speed automatic.

cawimmer430

I think the Euro Jeep Liberty has a manual option for the diesel.  B)  
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

ifcar

93JC just said that there wasn't.

This is interesting: who knows more about a European Jeep, a European car fan or a Jeep fan? :P

cawimmer430

Quote93JC just said that there wasn't.

This is interesting: who knows more about a European Jeep, a European car fan or a Jeep fan? :P
I could have sworn to have seen some with an M/T. I'm too lazy to check DCX websites too.  :P  
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie