Upgrading the TT..........this may take awhile.

Started by FlatBlackCaddy, May 07, 2007, 07:21:41 PM

FlatBlackCaddy

So i've been doing some work on my Z, trying to upgrade it alittle before i drive it this summer.

It started out simple, my front tires were shot so i decided to get a new set of rims and tires for it.

I've had my eye on some stillen pieces since before i even owned this thing, i wanted something simple but effective.
The car came with a stillen intake on it and i figured i'd round out the package and get a ECU upgrade and a Catback exhaust system.

I've got the exhaust on there(i also opted for the race pipes), i'm getting the ECU tomorrow which will bump the boost and put me at an estimated 420HP at the crank.

Well i went for a spin today to see how the exhaust sounded and to see what the boost gauge read for a stock boost reading(just to check the ecu changes), well i was loving the exhaust note and daydreaming about the power after the ecu upgrade.

Sadly everyone wasn't as thrilled as i was, the clutch was the main voice of complaints.

At freeway speed(80) when i punch the gas it starts to pull, once its around 5 grand and boost comes on the revs start to climb faster than the speedo.

I knew this clutch wasn't the best but i thought it could handle it.

Well long story short(er) i'm going to have to call up my buddy dean at stillen tomorrow, get the car back on the hoist and remove my exhaust system that i just put on as well as drain the fresh mt90 out of the tranny.

I'm going to rip it apart throughout the week after work and order up a clutch kit and a lightened flywheel for the weekend......i guess i should probobly order that upgraded brake kit while i'm at it. :rolleyes:

Should be fun when the clutch will hold the power.

Soup DeVille

Yes, definitely make sure your brakes work too!!!
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Raghavan

The Pirate

1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

FlatBlackCaddy

The clutch hasn't gone completely out, but it can barely hold the power that the exhaust system added.

Plugging the new computer in will add another 60-70HP to it, certainly the clutch won't like that.

I could baby it through the summer but whats the point, i want to use all that power. :rockon:

Secret Chimp

I had a late-model 300ZX with an exhaust go by me today. They can sound like they have a small-block at lower revs! Very cool sounding 6.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Raghavan on May 07, 2007, 07:25:07 PM
Why are you taking everything out again?

The clutch is too weak and needs to be replaced.

You almost need to pull the engine out to replace it.

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Raghavan

Quote from: Soup DeVille on May 07, 2007, 08:40:04 PM
The clutch is too weak and needs to be replaced.

You almost need to pull the engine out to replace it.

Really? I thought you could just unbolt the transmission? Or is the 300ZX a biatch to work on?

FlatBlackCaddy

pulling the engine is news to me, i'm pretty sure i don't have to do that.

I'll consult my service manual tomorrow but i'm pretty sure i can have it done over the weekend(with a few hours after work during the week).

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Secret Chimp on May 07, 2007, 08:22:09 PM
I had a late-model 300ZX with an exhaust go by me today. They can sound like they have a small-block at lower revs! Very cool sounding 6.

The exhaust sounds very nice, i didn't have much time to enjoy it since i was preoccupied with the clutch problem.

Its not really loud just nice and deep at idle, with a good rasp to it under full throttle.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: Raghavan on May 07, 2007, 08:46:03 PM
Or is the 300ZX a biatch to work on?

YES!

If you drop a wrench in the engine bay you will never see it again.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on May 07, 2007, 09:03:50 PM
YES!

If you drop a wrench in the engine bay you will never see it again.

I've poured a gallon of water on top of the motor and not a drop hits the ground......so ya its alittle tight in there. :tounge:

Soup DeVille

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on May 07, 2007, 08:55:52 PM
pulling the engine is news to me, i'm pretty sure i don't have to do that.

I'll consult my service manual tomorrow but i'm pretty sure i can have it done over the weekend(with a few hours after work during the week).

No- just almost.

FlatBlackCaddy

well i have to remove the whole exhaust system and a shit load of shields and other BS.

Hopefully i won't have to drop the rear end like that 944 i did......now that sucked really bad.

Raghavan

I thought exhaust, heatshields and driveshaft have to come out.

Secret Chimp

I also used to think that candle was was there just to keep the wick from burning too fast and that ammonia and bleach explode when you mix them, but you discover later on that some people know more things than you do.

FlatBlackCaddy

Secret Chimp

heelntoe

Quote from: Secret Chimp on May 07, 2007, 09:23:48 PM
I also used to think that candle was was there just to keep the wick from burning too fast and that ammonia and bleach explode when you mix them, but you discover later on that some people know more things than you do.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

how does it go rag? pwnt? :lol:
@heelntoe

FlatBlackCaddy

Well just ordered the clutch kit and a lighter stillen flywheel for it, should be here friday.

That gives me enough time to take everything apart and hopefully just slap in the new stuff when it gets here.

I also ordered the brake upgrade, since my current front brakes are shot i should notice a huge difference.
I suppose making sure the car will stop is the "responsible" thing to do. :tounge:

So in the mail is an ACT clutch kit with stillen flywheel and a ap racing 4 piston front brake kit with 13" slotted/drilled rotors.

**the ups guy just walked in with my computer upgrade

So i should be driving this baby next week around this time.

Raghavan

Quote from: heelntoe on May 08, 2007, 09:23:37 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

how does it go rag? pwnt? :lol:
Well, considering the fact that i've done it (or helped anyway) do it on an RX7, i know what i'm talking about somewhat.

Secret Chimp

Quote from: Raghavan on May 08, 2007, 04:51:04 PM
Well, considering the fact that i've done it (or helped anyway) do it on an RX7, i know what i'm talking about somewhat.

I forgot about Nissan RX-7's, sorry bud.

:P

FlatBlackCaddy

Well i just about got the tranny out, its been a real dream.

I had to take the downpipes off to get at the bolts, in order to get the downpipes out you have to pull the battery and box on the passenger side(no problem), but on the drivers side i had to pull half the dash apart and remove the brake master cylinder and booster.

Where's 280zx, he's missing all the fun... :lol:

Atleast i had to drain the brake fluid to install the stainless steel brake lines and the AP big brake kit.