The sportyaccordy project car thread...

Started by sportyaccordy, May 08, 2007, 08:00:19 PM

sportyaccordy

Alright... since we can't have member's rides... I'm gonna chronicle my journey with my car here.

So far, since I got it, I've

-changed the axles
-changed the clutch
-got a stock muffler
-got a body colored hood
-installed a CD player I had sitting around

Here's how it sits today:

Over the coming weeks, I plan to

-reinstall A/C and P/S
-get a better stereo w/new speakers and a 4ch amp
-strip the paint off the wheels
-revitalize the paint
-possibly swap the springs for stiffer, lower ones

My long term plans for it are

-Skunk2 Pro Series Stage 2 camshafts
-Camp1320.com header
-Exedy Stage 2 clutch
-JDM headlights w/ECE H4 diamond cut sealed beams retro'd, plus an H4 HID kit
-98-01 Altima SE wheels
-Dayton High Output 12" sub + Profile AP1000M mono amp

From here on, I'll try and chronicle mods with pictures... in 2 weeks I'll be reinstalling the P/S and A/C, as well as getting seat belts and other necessary knick nacks....

Stay tuned...

Raghavan

Nice.
Though you should just keep it stereoless and keep it more towards a street legal racecar.
But I can see that you're a ricer, so you need ur t00nz y0 to be cool i suppose. :devil:
:lol:

Eye of the Tiger

Needs more V-tak!

j/k

but in all seriousness, a turbo on that engine would be absolutely sickening? :devil:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Raghavan on May 08, 2007, 08:25:37 PM
Nice.
Though you should just keep it stereoless and keep it more towards a street legal racecar.
But I can see that you're a ricer, so you need ur t00nz y0 to be cool i suppose. :devil:
:lol:

Street legal race cars are overrated.

The guy I bought this car from had it set up that way... racing seats in front, nothing in the rear, loud ass exhaust, stiff clutch, short shifter kit... when I got the car, it had the full interior, but it was unbearable.

As the car sits now, it's probably 90% as fast as it was when I got it, but 10x more comfortable, and still fun as hell. Believe me, I've done and seen the 'street legal racecar' bit, and it's overrated. I'm trying to bring a race car back to street car status with this, while still upgrading the performance...

Danish

You already changed the clutch, but want to change it again in the future with another... why?

Nice ride!
Quote from: Lebowski on December 17, 2008, 05:46:10 PM
No advice can be worse than Coug's, in any thread, ever.

Raghavan

Quote from: Danish on May 08, 2007, 10:29:09 PM
You already changed the clutch, but want to change it again in the future with another... why?

Nice ride!
Ricers do st0opit things. ;)

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Danish on May 08, 2007, 10:29:09 PM

Nice ride!

The clutch that came with it died (diaphragm springs bound up)...

I know with my driving, and the little extra power I want to make, this clutch will die. I'm going to get something upgraded, but not the wildly stiff and unforgiving clutch it came with.

Also, I'm definitely not turboing this car. I hate turbocharged Hondas, this car is going to be all about balance.

heelntoe

Quote from: sportyaccordy on May 08, 2007, 08:00:19 PM
From here on, I'll try and chronicle mods with pictures... in 2 weeks I'll be reinstalling the P/S and A/C, as well as getting seat belts and other necessary knick nacks....

Stay tuned...
wait, it doesn't have seat belts!?
@heelntoe

Secret Chimp

He said the guy before him built it as a "race car for the street" or some such, so it might just have multipoint racing belts, which are obnoxious for daily use.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

heelntoe

Quote from: Secret Chimp on May 09, 2007, 01:55:50 PM
He said the guy before him built it as a "race car for the street" or some such, so it might just have multipoint racing belts, which are obnoxious for daily use.
ooh, you're probably right.
@heelntoe

VTEC_Inside

I can't tell from that pic and I can't find you other thread, but if the paint on your wiper arms has peeled (like they all do), then you could paint those too for something to do. It doesn't seem like much but it can make a big difference.
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

280Z Turbo

Quote from: Secret Chimp on May 09, 2007, 01:55:50 PM

I may be forced to put those in the Z someday, depending on the kind of autocross I do.

A friend of mine has a turbocharged 240Z with no muffler, racing harnesses, no sound deadening, Centerforce clutch, etc. His car is faster, but I prefer driving mine with sound deadening and normal seatbelts, without a doubt.

What's with the electrical tape on the headlamps? ;)

sportyaccordy

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on May 09, 2007, 04:15:42 PM
I may be forced to put those in the Z someday, depending on the kind of autocross I do.

A friend of mine has a turbocharged 240Z with no muffler, racing harnesses, no sound deadening, Centerforce clutch, etc. His car is faster, but I prefer driving mine with sound deadening and normal seatbelts, without a doubt.

What's with the electrical tape on the headlamps? ;)

That's not tape, that's paint.

I'm gonna need some industrial grade nail polish remover...

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: sportyaccordy on May 09, 2007, 08:05:04 PM
That's not tape, that's paint.

I'm gonna need some industrial grade nail polish remover...

I can't recall if those are glass or plastic lenses. If they are plastic, it should go without saying to be careful with solvents or you'll haze the crap out of them.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on May 09, 2007, 10:27:55 PM
I can't recall if those are glass or plastic lenses. If they are plastic, it should go without saying to be careful with solvents or you'll haze the crap out of them.

They're glass, but I'm still pretty nervous about it.

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: sportyaccordy on May 10, 2007, 10:52:30 AM
They're glass, but I'm still pretty nervous about it.

On glass I'd go ahead with paint thinner and a stiff toothbrush. :)

sportyaccordy

BEFORE

AFTER

:tu:

I got an orbital buffer and some Turtle Wax compound... got busy. I'm still pretty sore, but it looks good. I have to do the hood and roof again though.

Secret Chimp

S204STi

It's amazing what a good polish will do for older paint. :ohyeah:

Raghavan

It actually shines!
But you need to get rid of the rust. :nono:

sportyaccordy

Yea, the rust is a common problem for Northeastern Hondas... I'll get it fixed in due time.

Now that I saved myself a good $800 or so on a paint job, I think I'm gonna move forward with the audio...

Pioneer DEH-1900MP
Dayton 6.5" components in front
CDT 6x9 midbasses in the back
Profile AP1040 4ch amp...

I'm debating getting a sub... but I had a setup like this in my old car and it was good enough. $350 for a decent system= not bad... we'll see...

And next week I *should* be getting A/C and P/S... for free!!! Just gotta make a trip out to
Jersey. Someone's turning their car into a 'street legal race car' and ditching everything unnecessary on a quest to break 14s all-motor... so I'm just gonna snag all his comfort stuff. Hopefully I'll get seat belts too.

S204STi

Quote from: sportyaccordy on May 13, 2007, 03:29:11 PM
Yea, the rust is a common problem for Northeastern Hondas... I'll get it fixed in due time.

Now that I saved myself a good $800 or so on a paint job, I think I'm gonna move forward with the audio...

Pioneer DEH-1900MP
Dayton 6.5" components in front
CDT 6x9 midbasses in the back
Profile AP1040 4ch amp...

I'm debating getting a sub... but I had a setup like this in my old car and it was good enough. $350 for a decent system= not bad... we'll see...

And next week I *should* be getting A/C and P/S... for free!!! Just gotta make a trip out to
Jersey. Someone's turning their car into a 'street legal race car' and ditching everything unnecessary on a quest to break 14s all-motor... so I'm just gonna snag all his comfort stuff. Hopefully I'll get seat belts too.

I don't get that.  He could strap a turbo or supercharger on it and have a perfectly quick car, and still have something he can drive long distances in comfort. :huh:

sportyaccordy

Quote from: R-inge on May 13, 2007, 05:47:41 PM
I don't get that.  He could strap a turbo or supercharger on it and have a perfectly quick car, and still have something he can drive long distances in comfort. :huh:

But then he wouldn't have a naturally aspirated, stock block/head 14 second Accord...

It's a frontier nobody's ever explored. I was looking to go that route on my last car, but then it blew up.

Plus, more importantly, he has a brand new Honda Fit for daily driver duties.

S204STi

Well, I suppose with a stroker kit, a good cam, some head porting, and the proper intake and exhaust work he might be able to accomplish that.

Secret Chimp

I remember seeing some magazine article online where guys progressively stripped more and more and more weight off of a Nissan Sentra. They ended up having no bodywork, accessories, even ran the car on two space-savers on the rear. I think they ended up getting it down to 5 or 6 seconds to 60 on the stock 2 liter.

Raghavan

That's kind of excessive. :confused:
But the engine was bone stock??

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Secret Chimp on May 13, 2007, 08:21:55 PM
I remember seeing some magazine article online where guys progressively stripped more and more and more weight off of a Nissan Sentra. They ended up having no bodywork, accessories, even ran the car on two space-savers on the rear. I think they ended up getting it down to 5 or 6 seconds to 60 on the stock 2 liter.

Sport Compact Car, I remember that one too :ohyeah:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Rupert

Yeah, that was great. I think the idea was to spend no or very little money on it. They probably took off the exhaust and most of the intake or something...
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Secret Chimp

I think they left the engine alone. They may have gone so far as to even remove the alternator and run it off the battery, but I don't think they modified anything mated to the block.