BMWDave

Thoughts by Autoweek

2005 CHEVROLET COBALT LS COUPE
DATE IN FLEET: May 24-June 3
AS-TESTED PRICE: $18,900
POWERTRAIN: 2.2-liter I4; fwd, four-speed automatic
OUTPUT: 145 hp @ 5600 rpm, 155 lb-ft @ 4000 rpm
CURB WEIGHT: 2824 lbs

WILSON: While everyone else was playing with the Cobalt SS, I was driving around in this fetching little automatic coupe number. This is so much better than the Cavalier, it?s little wonder the name was changed, and those who say it?s just the next-generation Cavalier need to take the blinders off. The engine is a little on the loud side, but not painfully so, and plenty strong to pull the automatic. I loaded the trunk with groceries and such, and the big speakers back there could still vibrate the rear glass.

The interior is pretty darned nice for under $20K, and while neither the seat nor the steering feel is going to win any awards, both are lots better than what we?ve put up with in cheap domestic-built Chevys for 20 years.

All that said in the Cobalt?s favor, I don?t think it?s a standout in its class, and a standout is what GM needs to turn doubters into shoppers. Cobalt is good... but so is everyone else, and both Ford Focus and Dodge Neon have gotten this good earlier. Now the Koreans are making life tough for everyone in this segment, offering either more car for this money or similar cars for less money.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

ifcar

Finally someone gets it. Sure, the Cobalt is a nice car, and it's obviously far better than the Cav. But an all-new design being just "good" isn't going to make the car any more than the same rebated, fleet-sale dependent also-ran that the Cavalier was.