The diesel Maxima is back!

Started by 280Z Turbo, May 11, 2007, 08:11:09 PM

280Z Turbo

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070419/AUTO01/704190359/1148/rss25

Nissan to offer U.S. diesel Maxima in 2010

Ken Thomas / Associated Press

WASHINGTON -- Nissan Motor Co. CEO Carlos Ghosn said Wednesday the Japanese automaker would introduce a diesel version of the Nissan Maxima in the United States in 2010.

Ghosn, in a speech to the Council on Foreign Relations, said the vehicle would comply with emissions standards in all 50 states and provide improved fuel economy and lower carbon dioxide emissions.

"The launch of the Maxima will mark the start of a broader diesel strategy in the United States," Ghosn said, adding the company was studying diesel vehicles in other markets.

Automakers have been turning to diesels amid projections of increased interest in the vehicles, which are popular in Europe. J.D. Power and Associates has estimated that diesels will grow from 3.6 percent of the U.S. market to about 9 percent by 2013.

Ghosn, who also serves as chief executive of Nissan's French partner, Renault SA, said the automaker was developing alternative vehicles to be "part of the solution" as industries attempt to reduce emissions.

"It is difficult to say which technologies will prove to be the most popular among consumers, and preferences vary from one world market to another. ... When a clear market trend emerges, we will be ready to offer customers what they want," Ghosn said.

The government has implemented tighter emissions standards for diesel engines while requiring new ultra-low sulfur diesel fuel.

The fuel and clean diesel technology work together to cut emissions.

In 2010, diesel engines will be required to emit about 90 percent less nitrogen oxide.

Ghosn, speaking to reporters, declined to provide a new estimate for when the automaker will meet a key sales target. Nissan said earlier this week that it may need to push back its goal of selling 4.2 million vehicles worldwide in the fiscal year ending March 2009.

Nissan, Japan's third-largest automaker, faced weakened performance last year because of a lack of new models in North America and sluggish sales in Japan.

the Teuton

Will it be able to run with a CVT and will it be powerful enough for the US market?
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Soup DeVille

Umm, forgive my profound ignorance, but I don't remember a diesel Maxima being made in the past...
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

the Teuton

Quote from: Soup DeVille on May 11, 2007, 11:52:17 PM
Umm, forgive my profound ignorance, but I don't remember a diesel Maxima being made in the past...

I take it you didn't read C&D's last diesel beater competition?
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

280Z Turbo

It was produced from 1981-83 and had the LD28. It was a helluva lot better built that those diesel converted GM V8s you've heard about.

The LD28 motors have "stroker" crankshafts that can be used with gasoline L28's to bump the displacement up to 3.1L.

They also have a better flowing long runner intake manifolds that can be modified for use on gasoline L28s!

cawimmer430

Cool. So this and the VW diesels are the only mainstream diesel cars in the US? Damn you guys are missing out.  :praise:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

CJ

And Hyundai is bringing out their 3.0 Litre diesel in 2009 or 2010.

cawimmer430

Quote from: CJ on May 12, 2007, 08:26:22 AM
And Hyundai is bringing out their 3.0 Litre diesel in 2009 or 2010.

:ohyeah:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Atomic

i also heard that the next maxi will be available in a v8 with awd optional. true? it's merely a rumor for all i know.

the diesel option had been rumored for a while. now it's a fact, so there's hope!

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on May 12, 2007, 01:06:21 AM
It was produced from 1981-83 and had the LD28. It was a helluva lot better built that those diesel converted GM Oldsmobile V8s you've heard about.owned.
The LD28 motors have "stroker" crankshafts that can be used with gasoline L28's to bump the displacement up to 3.1L.

They also have a better flowing long runner intake manifolds that can be modified for use on gasoline L28s!

Thanks for the info, 280.

But saying that it was better than that GM contraption, well...

It would have to try hard not to be.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Nethead

Quote from: Soup DeVille on May 15, 2007, 12:24:05 AM
Thanks for the info, 280.

But saying that it was better than that GM contraption, well...

It would have to try hard not to be.

Walking was better than those converted gasoline 350s that may have been the straw that broke Oldsmobile's back.  And if you had one of them, you did a lot of walking...

I once met one of the project engineers on the Olds diesels.  He had high hopes...

What were they thinking? 
So many stairs...so little time...

S204STi

The converted diesels work fine in trucks.  They are very simple, and actually pretty reliable.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: R-inge on May 15, 2007, 08:48:18 PM
The converted diesels work fine in trucks.? They are very simple, and actually pretty reliable.

My old man had a 6.2 litre diesel Suburban.

He carried around a spare starter motor and an extra battery. I learned how to bleed injectors when I was 8 years old.

Yep, fond memories indeed...

93JC

The 6.2 isn't related to the Oldsmobile 5.7 at all.

The 6.2 and 6.5 were designed ground-up by Detroit Diesel.

93JC

All in all I've got to say I'm pretty confused about where Nissan's strategy is going. I thought the Maxima was supposed to be a '4DSC': sure the old one had a diesel back in the day, but I think it's a pretty big shift from what the product has represented in the last 15 years.

I guess, with a 270hp Altima, this is their answer to the question "Why buy a Maxima when you could get an Altima?"

Vinsanity

Quote from: 93JC on May 16, 2007, 11:36:24 AM
All in all I've got to say I'm pretty confused about where Nissan's strategy is going. I thought the Maxima was supposed to be a '4DSC': sure the old one had a diesel back in the day, but I think it's a pretty big shift from what the product has represented in the last 15 years.

I guess, with a 270hp Altima, this is their answer to the question "Why buy a Maxima when you could get an Altima?"

the way I see it, the V6 Altima has taken the place of what the Maxima was in the early 90's (4DSC), and the Maxima is now supposed to be a competitor to the Avalon.

93JC

... and a diesel makes it a better Avalon competitor?

Vinsanity

Quote from: 93JC on May 16, 2007, 03:21:24 PM
... and a diesel makes it a better Avalon competitor?

that I don't know. maybe they're hedging their bets since they already have a hybrid Altima :huh:

93JC

Vinsanity

Quote from: 93JC on May 16, 2007, 03:51:18 PM
:huh: I don't get it.

I meant that maybe Nissan is experimenting the market with a diesel for buyers who want better fuel economy without the cost and complexity of a hybrid, while at the same time offering a hybrid Altima for treehuggers, etc.

93JC

Quote from: Vinsanity on May 16, 2007, 04:18:04 PM
I meant that maybe Nissan is experimenting the market with a diesel for buyers who want better fuel economy without the cost and complexity of a hybrid, while at the same time offering a hybrid Altima for treehuggers, etc.

Oh, I got that.

I don't get why they think this is a good course of action.

Vinsanity

Quote from: 93JC on May 16, 2007, 04:24:48 PM
Oh, I got that.

I don't get why they think this is a good course of action.

meh. I'd definitely buy one over a hybrid Altima, but I'm not sure about the buying public.

93JC

Well, I'd buy a diesel over a hybrid, but I wouldn't necessarily buy a diesel Maxima over anything else. I'd be hard-pressed to make up an excuse to buy a Maxima, period.

Raghavan

I"d like a diesel Altima more than a diesel maxima.