Test drove a Hummer H3

Started by saxonyron, May 12, 2007, 11:30:02 PM

saxonyron

I was in Florida a couple weeks ago and rented an H3.? I have to admit, I only rented it because my 13 y.o. daughter was madly in love with them and she would join me with the rest of the family, and since I was there for an environmental conference, it made for appropriate shock value that I would be driving a Hummer.? As luck would have it, I became very attached to the funky looking beast.? Here's a brief review:

Ride and Handling:? First off, the H3 was pretty underpowered with its 3.7L 5 cyl. engine churning out 240 HP.? Highway merging was an uninspiring event, made even less inspiring by the EPA engineered tranny that upshifted at a depressingly low RPM.? The good news was the handling.? Unlike my moose of an Expedition, or my parents' Grand Cherokees, the H3 felt stable in off ramps and in turns.? Other SUV's I've driven tip and dive into turns, but the H3's wide stance and decent suspension gave a reasonable impression of poise.? I could push the H3 in entrance ramps, and it would linearly drift off, as opposed to my Expedition and Jeep experiences where I feel like I was about to roll.? I found myself having fun pushing the H3 again and again in turns, and being rewarded with predictable - yet low G - handling.?

At highway speeds, the H3 was very smooth and fairly quiet.? Big bumps were absorbed without drama and the truck had an almost limosine-like ride.? Not stiff and jouncy like the Jeeps or ponderous and truck-like like my Expediter.?

Interior and Fit and Finish:? The interior blew me away.? ?The leather seats were softer than my Teutonic Audi, and as well-made.? The brushed aluminum surround on the HVAC and radio felt solid and classy.? The switches and knobs were decently damped and felt solid.? I really expected a rolling redneck dumpster, so the interior shocked me!? The exterior was well done, although the panel gaps were big enough to pass a piece of toast through - in places possibly sideways!? Given the theme of the car, the gaps felt about right, though. The rear gate swung out with a nice solid well damped feel, and the doors gave a decent impression of bank vaults.?

The orange peel paint looked good from a distance.? The dark blue looked real nice on the H3 though.? I got more looks and thumbs up in that thing than I had ever gotten in my A4.? It was amazing!? The H3 is a very polarizing vehicle - you love it or hate it.? I did find that a lot of 20- something year old guys go absolutely apoplectic when they see one. Especially southerners.? It was pretty funny!? I suspect the same age group in Cambridge would rather just disdainfully dump their soy lattes on the fender than give it a thumbs up.? ?Either way, if you want to attract attention - good or bad -? drive a Hummer!

Gas mileage:? I ran with a heavy foot on highways and in stop and go.? The H3 averaged around 14 mpg in 2 tankfuls.? A little depressing since my Expedition has 300 HP, accelerates much stronger, weighs about a thousand pounds more, and gets better mileage of around 14.7.? My Ford also comfortably runs at 80+, while the Hummer protested at anything over 75.? Aerodynamics count for something here, and the H3 cuts through the wind like a barn.?

Overall, a pleasant surprise.? The redneck roughneck I rented as a joke made a believer out of me.? I gotta get me a Hummer - but I figure I need to step up to an H2 for more horsepower and greater shock value! :ohyeah:

My GM beast -

My 8 yr old son was enamored by the H3 -

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

SVT_Power

how did u fit all of your kids into one of those :lol:
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

saxonyron

Quote from: M_power on May 12, 2007, 11:53:49 PM
how did u fit all of your kids into one of those :lol:

Eh, my wife flew down at the end of my conference with the 5 kids, so we rented a Chrysler Grand Caravan too.  Although I did fit all 5 in the H3 for a few short rides.  Hell, down south the laws are different!

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

Champ

I just don't like how high the windows are, low visibility downwards from the vehicle.

saxonyron

Quote from: Champ on May 13, 2007, 02:02:28 AM
I just don't like how high the windows are, low visibility downwards from the vehicle.

That was a problem for me, too.  The slit-like windows and high sills would make it very hard for a short driver.  I'm 6'7" and had a hard time adjusting.  But you do adjust and everything works out fine.  The first day, I kept thinking there were cars in my blind spots, but it was just the hulking fenders and handles in the corner of my eye.  Once I got used to it, the phantom cars disappeared.

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

-- Ronald Reagan

S204STi

You should test drive the H3 with the 5.3 v8 when it hits the streets.  That should take care of the power issues. :ohyeah:

The Pirate

Nice review!  I'm a quasi environmentalist (read: realist) and I find myself liking the H3.  I'd rather have an Xterra though.  Same shitty mileage, but at least you have some power to go with it!
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: R-inge on May 13, 2007, 08:46:28 AM
You should test drive the H3 with the 5.3 v8 when it hits the streets.  That should take care of the power issues. :ohyeah:

That's exactly what I was thinking

Nice review though Ron!!! :rockon:

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

ro51092

My problem with this review was that you said the H3 did something, other than offroading better than the A4.

saxonyron

Quote from: ro51092 on May 13, 2007, 12:42:59 PM
My problem with this review was that you said the H3 did something, other than offroading better than the A4.

:lol:? I just said "softer" than the A4.? And they were well made.? All the German cars seem to like the harder leather seats.? I must admit, I like the American version a little better.? Just a little, though! I'm not sure how I can redeem myself at this point!? I can only beg forgiveness.?  :cry: :devil:

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

-- Ronald Reagan

saxonyron

Quote from: The Pirate on May 13, 2007, 11:19:17 AM
Nice review! I'm a quasi environmentalist (read: realist) and I find myself liking the H3. I'd rather have an Xterra though. Same shitty mileage, but at least you have some power to go with it!

Thanks!  I'm also an environmentalist in the realist sense.  Nothing wrong with a little SUV action.  They have their purposes.  Namely for me, my SUV helps me get out to the nature that I like so much.  Not to mention carry all my kids and gear there. :lol:

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

-- Ronald Reagan

saxonyron

Quote from: TheIntrepid on May 13, 2007, 12:19:16 PM
That's exactly what I was thinking

Nice review though Ron!!! :rockon:

Thanks, Trep!  I think I'd like the 5.3L V8 Roy mentioned.  That would fix a lot of what's wrong, for sure.  ;ohyeah:

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

-- Ronald Reagan

the Teuton

Ron, showing up to an environmentalist convention in an H3 is about as badass as you can get.  You are officially one of my heroes.   :rockon:

I take it that GM really upped the quality when it came to the H3.  I drove an HHR a year ago and I thought it was a little rough, interiorwise.  I'm glad to see it's an SUV worth consideration.  In my short list of SUVs that I really like, it would be tough to pick between a Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, that, and an Xterra.  Nice review.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Tave

I like it. It would be a good car for Wyoming.

There's something I wonder about panel gaps on SUV's. Is there a maximum standard for build? It seems like there needs to be some flex between the body panels, otherwise the thing would just shake itself apart on rough roads. Am I right?
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Eye of the Tiger

Did you take it over any sweet jumps?
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

saxonyron

Quote from: the Teuton on May 13, 2007, 03:55:27 PM
Ron, showing up to an environmentalist convention in an H3 is about as badass as you can get. You are officially one of my heroes. :rockon:

I take it that GM really upped the quality when it came to the H3. I drove an HHR a year ago and I thought it was a little rough, interiorwise. I'm glad to see it's an SUV worth consideration. In my short list of SUVs that I really like, it would be tough to pick between a Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, that, and an Xterra. Nice review.

Tave - I think the panel gaps are part of the overall look.? These chassis are so stiff, I could only imagine noticable flex under monsterously abusive off-road conditions.? Maybe then a close tolerance would be an issue.? You might have a point!

Thanks, Teuton! :lol:? ?The lady at Avis offered me the upgrade and said for another $10/day I could have an H3.? I told her where I was heading and how appropriate the car would be.? She got a good laugh out of that as did a couple of my associates at the conference.? A few didn't seem to get it, but those are the guys I didn't hang with.? BTW, the thing ended up costing me only $29 per day since I'm so damn charming.? I think the lady gave me a deal due to my irreverence! :ohyeah:

Nick, I didn't hit any offroad stuff, but there were some gnarly speed bumps in the hotel parking lot!? :rockon: :lol:

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

-- Ronald Reagan

Laconian

And I bet it got high-centered on those :lol:
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

cawimmer430

Cool. :lol:  :ohyeah:

Now try a Mercedes GL and get really blown away.  :devil:

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Tave

Quote from: cawimmer430 on May 14, 2007, 05:43:41 AM
Cool. :lol:? :ohyeah:

Now try a Mercedes GL and get really blown away.? :devil:

For 20 grand more it'd better be the better car.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

J86

Man I spent awhile drivin' my buddy's H3 yesterday (towing motorboat with seriously retarded motor...but I digress) and I CANT STAND THE BLOODY THING!!!  It's like sittin' in a goddamn pillbox...ya can't see shit!

The front seats are really comfortable...the rears are OK with two people, add a third in the middle and they'll hate you for life!

I like the reactions the truck gets from some people (read, it's fun to push buttons) but I could never live with one of those things.

TheIntrepid

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

Tave

Quote from: J86 on May 14, 2007, 09:22:33 AM
Man I spent awhile drivin' my buddy's H3 yesterday (towing motorboat with seriously retarded motor...but I digress) and I CANT STAND THE BLOODY THING!!!? It's like sittin' in a goddamn pillbox...ya can't see shit!

The front seats are really comfortable...the rears are OK with two people, add a third in the middle and they'll hate you for life!

I like the reactions the truck gets from some people (read, it's fun to push buttons) but I could never live with one of those things.

Real men don't need windows. We paint 'em black and "sense" what's going on around us. If you can't do that, maybe to should get a bmx bicycle. Then you'll have all the visibility you need.

S204STi

Quote from: Tave on May 13, 2007, 07:17:21 PM
I like it. It would be a good car for Wyoming.

There's something I wonder about panel gaps on SUV's. Is there a maximum standard for build? It seems like there needs to be some flex between the body panels, otherwise the thing would just shake itself apart on rough roads. Am I right?

With a body on frame vehicle, yes.  Lots of movement occurs between different sections.

SJ_GTI

The H3 always strikes me a a good "truck" type of SUV. Great offroad, so-so on road. The issue with most reviews seem to be because they want it to be a minivan replacement. Same deal with the Toyota FJ. Nissan's Xterra seems to strike the best "balance" as far as reviews go, but I think I would be okay with the road manners given the nice interior and exceptional off-road capability (of the H3).

Of course I say that having absolutely no intention of ever buying any SUV, so I guess its just a theoretical exercise.

saxonyron

Quote from: J86 on May 14, 2007, 09:22:33 AM
Man I spent awhile drivin' my buddy's H3 yesterday (towing motorboat with seriously retarded motor...but I digress) and I CANT STAND THE BLOODY THING!!! It's like sittin' in a goddamn pillbox...ya can't see shit!

I rented it for 5 days and have to admit, I was impressed at first with the ride and build, but horrified by the visibility.  Like many things with cars though, after living with it a day or so, you subconsciously deal with the visibility and get used to it.  Hell, I've driven 20 ft. 10 wheeler box trucks with nothing but mirrors and the view out front, so it can be done.  That's not to say they couldn't lower the belt line a bit and give a better view...but that would change the badass look of the beast.  Again, I got so many admiring looks and thumbs up, it amazed me.  I'm assuming it wasn't just because I'm so damn handsome! :ohyeah:

As far as towing, that thing is just not cut out for it.  Gimme another 60 or 80 HP and it might have a chance.

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

-- Ronald Reagan

saxonyron

Quote from: SJ_GTI on May 14, 2007, 11:24:02 AM
The H3 always strikes me a a good "truck" type of SUV. Great offroad, so-so on road. The issue with most reviews seem to be because they want it to be a minivan replacement. Same deal with the Toyota FJ. Nissan's Xterra seems to strike the best "balance" as far as reviews go, but I think I would be okay with the road manners given the nice interior and exceptional off-road capability (of the H3).

Of course I say that having absolutely no intention of ever buying any SUV, so I guess its just a theoretical exercise.

Before I rented it, I was anything but a fan.  I thought the H2 was OK looking for its purpose in life, but the H3 struck me as too formulaic and forced.  i.e. Badass in miniature.  Now that I've drank the Coolaid and am a believer, I think this thiing just needs a big HP boost, and it would be the perfect ride for people who both like attention and like a competent SUV. Nothing else really need to be changed.  (OK, maybe the visibility issues could be helped a bit, so Josh likes it more! :lol:  )

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

-- Ronald Reagan

SJ_GTI

Regarding the power issues, for 2007 the H3 got a slightly larger engine (from 3.5L to 3.7L). I am not sure which one you drove. Apart from that, for 2008 they have introduced a 5.3L V8.

Personally, I'd probably stick with the smaller engine for one main reason: Its available with a 5-speed manual.

southdiver1

The biggest problem I have with the entire Hummer line is that, to me, they are all poser wannabes.
Having driven the real HUMMER (complete with .50 on top), I find seeing an H1 at the mall or an H2 in the drive thru just stupid.
Now, I have nothing against SUVs. I have owned a few (until kids/minivan) but the entire Hummer line just screams "small penis" to me.
I came into this world kicking, screaming, pissed off, and covered in someone elses blood.
If I do it right, I will leave this world in the same condition.

Tave

Ah-ho! Snap. I got REEMED on another thread for saying something to that effect when we were talking about Minivans vs. SUVs.

I like your style :ohyeah:

SJ_GTI

Quote from: southdiver1 on May 24, 2007, 08:49:51 AM
The biggest problem I have with the entire Hummer line is that, to me, they are all poser wannabes.
Having driven the real HUMMER (complete with .50 on top), I find seeing an H1 at the mall or an H2 in the drive thru just stupid.
Now, I have nothing against SUVs. I have owned a few (until kids/minivan) but the entire Hummer line just screams "small penis" to me.

To me, it sounds like you have your own inadequacy issues. Because someone drives a hummer they have a small penis?   :rolleyes:

The H3 is probably the best offroad vehicle in the mainstream market (from the factory). It does have some practicality issues due to its styling, but so do most stylish cars (CLS550, Solstice/Sky, even my GTI to an extent).

I am not saying everyone that buys a Hummer is using its full capability, the if it wasn't so capable it wouldn't be so popular.

Now, something like the Jeep Compass I would consider a "poser" vehicle. Its styled like the wrangler, but not anywhere near as capable. But, call me crazy, that doesn't make me assume everyone that drives one has a small penis.