Whoops... :(

Started by Champ, May 14, 2007, 07:42:25 AM

Champ

Preface: Entirely my fault and I wasn't paying attention at all.

75 in a 60 (good thing he didn't see me a few miles earlier).

Undercover guy in a Chevy Malibu, had like 1 antenna in the back and was burried in a ton of cars.? I glanced at it but didn't look twice, he was some old guy so I didn't even think about it since that is a pretty popular car.? Some guy cut in front of me so I used one of the lanes that was about to end to pass this group of cars.? I get out in front of everybody and it's smooth sailing til I see the Malibu feverishly trying to work his way through the pack of cars.? Crap.

Here he comes? :pullover:

He didn't get radar on me but said he would guess me at 75.? I didn't really want to argue because I was probably going 80ish.

I don't think I'm going to do the court option because he got me fair and square.  I'm a honorable guy and if you treat speeding like a game, this time I slipped and he won...  I'll say "good game" and move on.

$140 for the ticket.

JYODER240

That sucks, but you're a good sport about it.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

TurboDan

No radar?  He "guessed" you were going 75?  This sounds like an easily winnable case.  Go to court.

SVT666

Quote from: TurboDan on May 14, 2007, 12:00:03 PM
No radar?? He "guessed" you were going 75?? This sounds like an easily winnable case.? Go to court.
I don't like that attitude.  I've been busted a few times and every time I deserved it.  I was speeding and I got caught.  He knows he was speeding and he got caught.  The guy didn't have a gun on him, but he knew he was speeding and actually guessed low.  He got caught...fair and square.  If the cop guessed high or he wasn't speeding at all, he should fight it. 

TurboDan

Quote from: HEMI666 on May 14, 2007, 12:42:09 PM
I don't like that attitude. I've been busted a few times and every time I deserved it. I was speeding and I got caught. He knows he was speeding and he got caught. The guy didn't have a gun on him, but he knew he was speeding and actually guessed low. He got caught...fair and square. If the cop guessed high or he wasn't speeding at all, he should fight it.

It's all a game.? If they catch me fair-and-square, fine.? I don't complain.? But if they catch me without any evidence and only "think" I was speeding, why should I readily hand over my money without a fight?? There's nothing honorable about paying a speeding ticket.?

Personally, I think EVERYONE who receives a speeding ticket should choose to go to court and take advantage of their right to a trial.  If enough people did it, it wouldn't be as much of a money maker.

Champ

I have been discussing on another forum, and I think I may just try to talk to the prossecutor at the courthouse and see if I can get some kind of plea bargain.

The money for the ticket or the ticket itself isn't the issue, it's the corresponding insurance hike I am worried about.  I wouldn't mind a $150 taillight out ticket for instance.

Eye of the Tiger

insurance companies donate radar guns to teh police
thats because they know they'll get their money back and then some
and it's good press
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Soup DeVille

Quote from: TurboDan on May 14, 2007, 12:54:44 PM
It's all a game.? If they catch me fair-and-square, fine.? I don't complain.? But if they catch me without any evidence and only "think" I was speeding, why should I readily hand over my money without a fight?? There's nothing honorable about paying a speeding ticket.?

Personally, I think EVERYONE who receives a speeding ticket should choose to go to court and take advantage of their right to a trial.  If enough people did it, it wouldn't be as much of a money maker.

We have a winner!

Basic speed enforcement takes way too much of our valued police officiers' time, and it does so for one and only one reason: to make up for revenue shortfalls.

I hold no ill will towards the good men and women who are doing their job; but that doesn't mean i'm going to roll over and play dead either.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

GoCougs

I think most would agree 15 over does deserve a ticket on all but the largest and most barren of freeways. IMO, the no-ticket threshold should be 10 over or less; unless it's a crowded arterial, school zone, etc.

I just got popped two weeks ago for 65 in a 55 on a four lane controlled access highway. The citing officer didn't even check my insurance, or call in my license. It was literally a two minute process. 

Nonetheless, as at least a few have stated, that's the game: people know the consequences if caught.

I, like many, don't want to take at least half a day to go to a court date; in this specific case my only recourse would be to lie - which I'm not going to do.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: GoCougs on May 14, 2007, 09:49:31 PM
I, like many, don't want to take at least half a day to go to a court date; in this specific case my only recourse would be to lie - which I'm not going to do.

No, there's no need to lie, and I would never endorse doing so in court.

Most times you can plea bargain to a lesser-points or no points infraction.

If you really want to be a pain the ass, file a motion for discovery to check the certifications for whatever speed measuring device you got popped with. File for a continuance.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

dazzleman

I wouldn't lie in court either, but I've generally found it's not necessary to lie in order to get a reduced fine or points.

The whole thing is a game, no different than negotiating on the price of a new car.  Would you go into the dealer and pay full sticker price?  This is really no different.

The thing to remember is that in order to make money, they depend upon people just mailing in the fine.  As soon as you show up in court, they lose money, even if they charge you the full fine.  And the more of their time you take up, the more they lose.  So at that point, as long as your record is not terrible, their goal is to get rid of you with the least possible involvement on their part.  That's why they usually offer you a sweetheart deal when you first show up not to contest the ticket further, in my experience.

My attitude is -- I'll speed; I know I'll get nailed occasionally, and when I do, I'll deal with it without complaint.  It's all part of the game.  When you get nailed, you make the best deal you can, and suck it up.  And then get back on the road and keep speeding.  :evildude:
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Champ

So I thought I'd be nice and go slow yesterday afternoon - you know, to see what all the fuss is about "driving the speed limit."

So I set my cruise for 60 in a 60.  Felt like I was going to cause an accident because people were screaming by me like I was a brick wall.  Bumped it up to 65.  I passed 2 cars in about 6 miles of this, and lost track of how many passed me, one of which included a school bus!

I found myself to start daydreaming and not paying attention like I usually do.  The speed has an added benefit of keeping you alert.

So back to speeding.

GoCougs

Unless things have changed very recently, there isn't a point system in Washington state. A moving violation is a moving violation; a no-blinker ticket is the same as 15 mph over. The only other possible outcome record-wise is to win or otherwise have the ticket thrown out. Not very likely in most cases I would think.

My ticket was only $71 (he wrote it for 5mph over). It's just not worth the hassle for me to fight the system and spend hours at the court house. And yes, you bet that the powers that be know this fact. This was an out-of-town ticket as well (250 miles from home) adding profoundly so to the hassle factor.

Champ

I'm worried about my insurance more than the cost of ticket.  A non-moving violation doesn't change your insurance rate.

Tave

Cougs, depending on the situation, you could easily have a 5mph infraction thrown out alltogether. The judge might even reprimand the officer for issuing such a petty ticket.

But I can understand not wanting to make that drive.

My insurance wouldn't go up for a ticket like that anyways, so I wouldn't care about it, but seventy bucks ain't pidgin feed, though it might be less than you'd spend on gas going there and back.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

TBR

It may not be pidgeon feed to you, but it probably is to Cougs.

GoCougs

Quote from: Tave on May 15, 2007, 01:17:09 PM
Cougs, depending on the situation, you could easily have a 5mph infraction thrown out alltogether. The judge might even reprimand the officer for issuing such a petty ticket.

But I can understand not wanting to make that drive.

My insurance wouldn't go up for a ticket like that anyways, so I wouldn't care about it, but seventy bucks ain't pidgin feed, though it might be less than you'd spend on gas going there and back.

The ticket was actually written as "65+ in a 60." Either the judge will know what "+" means, or he'd ask me, which I was told by the officer was a gimme such that he could write the cheapest ticket possible. Even so, I can't ever imagine a judge remprimanding an officer in such a manner.

Even if the courthouse were local I wouldn't contest. Experience has shown me that it simply isn't worth the time and hassle; of which there is plenty when having to go to traffic court (I've done it three times).

dazzleman

Quote from: GoCougs on May 15, 2007, 09:41:07 PM
The ticket was actually written as "65+ in a 60." Either the judge will know what "+" means, or he'd ask me, which I was told by the officer was a gimme such that he could write the cheapest ticket possible. Even so, I can't ever imagine a judge remprimanding an officer in such a manner.

Even if the courthouse were local I wouldn't contest. Experience has shown me that it simply isn't worth the time and hassle; of which there is plenty when having to go to traffic court (I've done it three times).

So you're a repeat offender, man...... :nono: :lol:

I've been to traffic court a few times too.  In its own way, it can be pretty entertaining.   I really didn't mind going at all. 

Last time I went to court for a ticket, I took the whole day off from work, and I was home from court by 10:30 AM and able to thoroughly enjoy the rest of the day.  It was one of the nicest days of the year, so it worked out great.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

GoCougs

Quote from: dazzleman on May 15, 2007, 10:26:24 PM
So you're a repeat offender, man...... :nono: :lol:

I've been to traffic court a few times too.? In its own way, it can be pretty entertaining.? ?I really didn't mind going at all.?

Last time I went to court for a ticket, I took the whole day off from work, and I was home from court by 10:30 AM and able to thoroughly enjoy the rest of the day.? It was one of the nicest days of the year, so it worked out great.

Actually, I guess I am. I've also had a few wrecks in there, too...

Up until two weeks ago, I've had a clean record for the last five years or so. The last time I went to court I got a pretty sweet deal, come to think of it.

The district had just implemented a no-contest policy where by someone with a clean record could plead no-contest, and have the ticket expunged with a $100 fine. Any infraction within a year though and the ticket (and original fine) would be reinstated though. I kept it clean until this, however.

Tave

Quote from: GoCougs on May 15, 2007, 09:41:07 PM
Even so, I can't ever imagine a judge remprimanding an officer in such a manner.

I had a friend written for 3 over in a 30. When he took it to court, the judge looked the officer square in the eyes and said, "don't ever bring me another ticket like this again. Case dismissed."
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Tave

Quote from: TBR on May 15, 2007, 07:38:49 PM
It may not be pidgeon feed to you, but it probably is to Cougs.

Well in that case, I've got a few pidgeon's in my back yard that are getting hungry. Cougs, if you would be so kind...

:lol:

GoCougs

Quote from: Tave on May 16, 2007, 09:30:58 AM
I had a friend written for 3 over in a 30. When he took it to court, the judge looked the officer square in the eyes and said, "don't ever bring me another ticket like this again. Case dismissed."

I completely agree with the judge. That margin is probably with many a car's speedo error. My case wasn't exactly that, however ("60+ in a 55").

And cut me some slack; the ticket was 250 miles from home! $50 in gas a full day of driving just wouldn't be worth it!

heelntoe

@heelntoe

GoCougs

the nameless one

Quote from: Soup DeVille on May 14, 2007, 08:18:06 PM
We have a winner!

Basic speed enforcement takes way too much of our valued police officiers' time, and it does so for one and only one reason: to make up for revenue shortfalls.

I hold no ill will towards the good men and women who are doing their job; but that doesn't mean i'm going to roll over and play dead either.

Nope. Speeding is the single largest category of complaint received by agencies.
The fine money doesn't come close to covering the costs of the ticket if it goes to trial.

edited to clarify language
*Post consists of personal opinion only and does not constitute information released in an official capacity*

*   Heeyyyyyyyyyy did YOU know that you have NO First Amendment right to discuss ANYTHING even remotely related to your workplace? I didn't! I do now! Aint freedom grand? What is the point of a work-related internet forum if you can't legally DISCUSS anything work related? Maybe we can exchange baking recipes. What fun! *

* Don't look behind the curtain; don't dig too deep or ask too many questions; don't seek to expand your knowledge of how things REALLY work; "they" only want you to hear "their" official version of reality*

*"They " can be anyone. Take your pick. I know who MY "they" is. Who is yours?*

TheIntrepid

I feel bad for those who have to fight tickets. :(

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

Soup DeVille

Quote from: the nameless one on May 16, 2007, 07:03:13 PM
Nope. Speeding is the single greatest type of complaint received by agencies.
The fine money doesn't come close to covering the costs of the ticket if it goes to trial.

Absolutely, 100% wrong. Most numerous (which unsubstantiated) does not equal the "greatest," not even by the most drug-and-NHTSA induced stretch of the imagination. By far the most numerous complaints are the most petty. Noise disturbances rank pretty high on complaint lists too. But they are not "great" complaints either.

My point is that not enough tickets go to trial: and it is an undeniable fact that speeding fines are a huge net gain. Taking more to trial would reduce the economic benefits of speeding fines greatly.

Go ahead and look it up: city and state budgets are public domain.

SVT_Power

Quote from: Tave on May 16, 2007, 09:30:58 AM

wow i would have laughed in the cops face after that if he gave me that ticket  :lol:
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

dazzleman

Quote from: TheIntrepid on May 16, 2007, 08:59:50 PM
I feel bad for those who have to fight tickets. :(

Why feel sorry for them?? It's very easy to avoid a ticket if you really don't want to deal with one, and most tickets are well deserved.

Don't get me wrong.? I'm not trying to be a 'holier than thou' type here.? I've had my share of tickets, and so have a lot of my friends.? But for the most part, we deserved all of them, and a lot more, so I don't think anybody should have felt sorry for us.? With some of the stuff we got away with, the tickets we got were nothing.

dazzleman

Quote from: GoCougs on May 16, 2007, 08:38:54 AM
Actually, I guess I am. I've also had a few wrecks in there, too...

Up until two weeks ago, I've had a clean record for the last five years or so. The last time I went to court I got a pretty sweet deal, come to think of it.

The district had just implemented a no-contest policy where by someone with a clean record could plead no-contest, and have the ticket expunged with a $100 fine. Any infraction within a year though and the ticket (and original fine) would be reinstated though. I kept it clean until this, however.

I'd take a ticket over a wreck any day of the week.

Maybe you can get the same outcome this time as you got for your last ticket.  It sounds like a sweet deal.