CR-V #1 and Explorer #4

Started by SVT666, May 15, 2007, 02:50:53 PM

SVT666

Wow.  CR-V is the best selling SUV in the US.  The Ford Explorer after 15 years at the top has dropped to 4th place.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/cr-v-knocks-ford-explorer-out-of-1-suv-spot.html

TheIntrepid

CMan's going to be proud.

However, I would have thought the current redesign would have REDUCED sales. I mean, the Explorer's no beauty queen but it's not UGLY. It's harmless. :huh:

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

SVT666

The CR-V actually is ugly.? If it was the RAV4, I could understand, but not the CR-V.

ifcar

What are in the #2 and #3 positions? RAV4 is almost certainly one of them, but what's the other?

SVT666

Quote from: ifcar on May 15, 2007, 02:53:51 PM
What are in the #2 and #3 positions? RAV4 is almost certainly one of them, but what's the other?
The article doesn't say, but it does say that the top 3 are car based.

SVT666

Quote from: 93JC on May 15, 2007, 02:58:02 PM
Escape.
That was my thought too, but I didn't think it actually pulled past it's big brother.

Secret Chimp

The Explorer has been absolutely awful compared to the competition for years, I don't understand how it stayed on top short of fleet sales.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

GoCougs

Top 10 thru March:

CR-V (up YTD)
Rav4 (up YTD)
Escape (down YTD)
Tahoe (down YTD)
Pilot (up YTD)
Wrangler (up YTD)
Explorer (down YTD)
Murano (up YTD)
Highlander (up YTD)
Trailblazer (down YTD)

SVT666

Quote from: Secret Chimp on May 15, 2007, 03:07:56 PM
The Explorer has been absolutely awful compared to the competition for years, I don't understand how it stayed on top short of fleet sales.
Hardly.  It's a great truck.

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on May 15, 2007, 03:11:01 PM
Top 10 thru March:

CR-V (up YTD)
Rav4 (up YTD)
Escape (down YTD)
Tahoe (down YTD)
Pilot (up YTD)
Wrangler (up YTD)
Explorer (down YTD)
Murano (up YTD)
Highlander (up YTD)
Trailblazer (down YTD)
Why is Explorer 7th on your list but 4th in the article?

Raghavan

I think the CRV looks pretty good, besides the wierd grille.

SVT666

Quote from: Raghavan on May 15, 2007, 03:34:55 PM
I think the CRV looks pretty good, besides the wierd grille.
What about the weird side windows?

ifcar

Quote from: HEMI666 on May 15, 2007, 03:25:00 PM
Why is Explorer 7th on your list but 4th in the article?

Maybe your article used April sales instead of YTD.

Raghavan

Oh yeah, i don't like the wierd D-pillar, but it's not that bad in real life.

SVT666

Quote from: Raghavan on May 15, 2007, 03:37:44 PM
Oh yeah, i don't like the wierd D-pillar, but it's not that bad in real life.
I actually thought it looked weirder in person then in pictures.

Raghavan

I think that if the side windows had been more "conventional", as in following the roof line better, it would've looked a lot better, but whatever.

SVT666

Quote from: ifcar on May 15, 2007, 03:37:22 PM
Maybe your article used April sales instead of YTD.
Could be, although the way the article is written, it sounds like they are talking about YTD.

SVT666

Quote from: Raghavan on May 15, 2007, 03:39:14 PM
I think that if the side windows had been more "conventional", as in following the roof line better, it would've looked a lot better, but whatever.
That's what I'm talking about.? The side window profile bugs me.? When I first saw it in person I wasn't quite sure what it was, and I thought, "What the fuck?"

Colonel Cadillac

Looks like the American public loves turds.

TBR

Question: is the new CR-V really that good? Seems to me like that Rav4 is an excellent vehicle (as much as it pains me to say that), probably the best one Toyota has, so are people just buying the CR-V because the H has more perceived value right now?

ifcar

The RAV4 doesn't have the refinement or interior quality of the CR-V, despite its optional (unusable) third row and V6.

Tave

I think the new CRV looks hideous.

It's sad there's only 4 truely capable SUV's on that list, but it's badass that the Wrangler is up there.  :rockon: The 4-door is helping out a ton.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

goldenlover1101

The CR-V makes me puke in my mouth a little everytime I see it. I actually kind of liked the old one, but the new one is horrible. What were they thinking with the front? Anyway, I like the Explorer, but it is seriously outdated as far as SUVs go. Crossovers are the new big thing, like it or not, and the Explorer is now looked down upon, although it still fulfills its (and all SUVs) original goals. Oh well, I am hoping some of the new GM crossovers can get high on the list.

"The more people I meet the more I like my dog."

YO

GO TEAM GO.... and made in OHIO too!...
BILLIONS AND BILLIONS SERVED
MANY,MANY more to come.

THE POWER OF DREAMS

RACING DOMINATION at the highest level...6 Time F1 Constructors Champion, 5 Time F1 Drivers Champion, 3 Time CART Constructors Champion, 6 Time CART Drivers Champion and two consecutive International Motor Sports Association (IMSA) International Sedan Manufacturers' Championships and three consecutive IMSA International Sedan Drivers' Championships,three consecutive Manufacturers' Championships and three consecutive Drivers' Championships in the prestigious IMSA Camel GTP Lights series  ....current 4 TIME INDY Constructors Champion AND Drivers Champion?10 Time SCCA World Challenge Champions... .Home to the Worlds Greatest Drivers and Riders past, present and future...

sandertheshark

It is true that Americans have no taste.

the Teuton

2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

giant_mtb

Quote from: Secret Chimp on May 15, 2007, 03:07:56 PM

Have you ever owned one?

ifcar

Quote from: giant_mtb on May 16, 2007, 04:42:53 AM
Have you ever owned one?

Have you ever looked at the competition?

SVT666

Quote from: ifcar on May 16, 2007, 05:09:38 AM
Have you ever looked at the competition?
Yes.  The Explorer is still a great SUV.  It's just not a crossover so people thik it sucks.  It doesn't.