CR-V #1 and Explorer #4

Started by SVT666, May 15, 2007, 02:50:53 PM

goldenlover1101

Quote from: HEMI666 on May 16, 2007, 07:11:32 AM
Yes.? The Explorer is still a great SUV.? It's just not a crossover so people thik it sucks.? It doesn't.
Agreed  :clap:

"The more people I meet the more I like my dog."

YO

Yes.? The Explorer is still a great SUV.? It's just not a crossover so people thik it sucks.? It doesn't.

out of the 3 row SUVs, Id rank them

1)Honda Pilot
2)GM triplets, Enclave etc
3)Ford Explorer
4)Highlander

.. the Exploder is a huge improvement over the last gen... but consistant bad Ford press, horrible resale for existing owners has kept the public away.

Remember. The CR-V, Rav4 etc etc are simuler in size to the original 1990's Explorers, plus they give you superior gas mileage compared to the others. Throw in car like refinement and tech toys, and the others feel like walkmans vs Ipods...
BILLIONS AND BILLIONS SERVED
MANY,MANY more to come.

THE POWER OF DREAMS

RACING DOMINATION at the highest level...6 Time F1 Constructors Champion, 5 Time F1 Drivers Champion, 3 Time CART Constructors Champion, 6 Time CART Drivers Champion and two consecutive International Motor Sports Association (IMSA) International Sedan Manufacturers' Championships and three consecutive IMSA International Sedan Drivers' Championships,three consecutive Manufacturers' Championships and three consecutive Drivers' Championships in the prestigious IMSA Camel GTP Lights series  ....current 4 TIME INDY Constructors Champion AND Drivers Champion?10 Time SCCA World Challenge Champions... .Home to the Worlds Greatest Drivers and Riders past, present and future...

chevyguy06

The Trailblazer knocked the Explorer off the best seller list last year :huh:
'05 Ford Escape XLT V6

TheIntrepid

The CR-V and the Rav4 are also hig on that list because of how well they hold their value. Of course, this applies to most Japanese vehicles.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

SVT666

Quote from: YO on May 16, 2007, 08:12:39 AM
out of the 3 row SUVs, Id rank them

1)Honda Pilot
2)GM triplets, Enclave etc
3)Ford Explorer
4)Highlander

.. the Exploder is a huge improvement over the last gen... but consistant bad Ford press, horrible resale for existing owners has kept the public away.

Remember. The CR-V, Rav4 etc etc are simuler in size to the original 1990's Explorers, plus they give you superior gas mileage compared to the others. Throw in car like refinement and tech toys, and the others feel like walkmans vs Ipods...

If I was looking at SUVs right now, these would be my top 3 picks (in no particular order):

1. Ford Explorer
2. Mazda CX-9
3. Hyundai Veracruz

As for our Freestyle, I don't consider it an SUV as much as I consider it a station wagon.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: HEMI666 on May 16, 2007, 09:52:38 AM
If I was looking at SUVs right now, these would be my top 3 picks (in no particular order):

1. Ford Explorer
2. Mazda CX-9
3. Hyundai Veracruz

As for our Freestyle, I don't consider it an SUV as much as I consider it a station wagon.

Mine would be

1. Volkswagen Touareg
2. Cadillac Escalade :wub:
3. Acura MDX

GoCougs

The CX-9 is quite the looker, and good deal it seems.

It beat out both the MDX and Acadia in the recent issue of M/T.

SVT666

Quote from: TheIntrepid on May 16, 2007, 09:55:44 AM
Mine would be

1. Volkswagen Touareg
2. Cadillac Escalade :wub:
3. Acura MDX
How about choosing SUVs that are realistic?

omicron

Having stood up through the sunroof of a new RAV4, I can verify its stability against crosswinds.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: HEMI666 on May 16, 2007, 10:36:21 AM
How about choosing SUVs that are realistic?

They are pretty realistic. :huh: All under $65k CAD.

SVT666

Quote from: TheIntrepid on May 16, 2007, 11:26:06 AM
They are pretty realistic. :huh: All under $65k CAD.
How is that realistic for an 18 year old?

TheIntrepid

Until September, I do make $45 an hour, work about 15 hours a week, and don't pay taxes. ;)

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: TheIntrepid on May 16, 2007, 12:24:31 PM
Until September, I do make $45 an hour, work about 15 hours a week, and don't pay taxes. ;)

I'm telling Canada on you!!!!!
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

SVT666

Even if you worked 52 weeks a year, which I know you don't, you will make $35,000.  The second you have to pay for gas, insurance, or even move out, you can't afford that SUV anymore.  Besides you will be going to university in September and you will suddenly lose all income.  So, in fact, it is not realistic for an 18 year old. :ohyeah:

ifcar

Yes.  The Explorer is still a great SUV.  It's just not a crossover so people thik it sucks.  It doesn't.

It's a compromise car, trying to appeal to the people who actually buy it while still making it a truck. You can buy better trucks, and you can buy better cars, and it has other flaws unrelated to the compromise (ergonomics, interior quality).

But I wasn't entirely disagreeing, more trying to establish that frame of reference is critical.

Tave

Quote from: ifcar on May 16, 2007, 02:18:47 PM
it has other flaws unrelated to the compromise (ergonomics,

I second that.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

ro51092

Quote from: HEMI666 on May 16, 2007, 01:21:36 PM
Even if you worked 52 weeks a year, which I know you don't, you will make $35,000.  The second you have to pay for gas, insurance, or even move out, you can't afford that SUV anymore.  Besides you will be going to university in September and you will suddenly lose all income.  So, in fact, it is not realistic for an 18 year old. :ohyeah:

pwned

sandertheshark

gehen nicht.

SVT_Power

i'm surprised the explorer is still at 4th
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

SVT_Power

Quote from: omicron on May 16, 2007, 10:40:17 AM
Having stood up through the sunroof of a new RAV4, I can verify its stability against crosswinds.

winds must have been next to none if u didn't get blown away
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

YO

again, the Trailblazer has a boat load of fleet sales. The CRV's and Rav 4s of the world are doing it retail.

Since I'm leaving Acura in the next few weeks, I'm really tempted to get a MDX cheap while I can manipulate some numbers...
BILLIONS AND BILLIONS SERVED
MANY,MANY more to come.

THE POWER OF DREAMS

RACING DOMINATION at the highest level...6 Time F1 Constructors Champion, 5 Time F1 Drivers Champion, 3 Time CART Constructors Champion, 6 Time CART Drivers Champion and two consecutive International Motor Sports Association (IMSA) International Sedan Manufacturers' Championships and three consecutive IMSA International Sedan Drivers' Championships,three consecutive Manufacturers' Championships and three consecutive Drivers' Championships in the prestigious IMSA Camel GTP Lights series  ....current 4 TIME INDY Constructors Champion AND Drivers Champion?10 Time SCCA World Challenge Champions... .Home to the Worlds Greatest Drivers and Riders past, present and future...

SJ_GTI

Quote from: YO on May 17, 2007, 07:09:46 AM
again, the Trailblazer has a boat load of fleet sales. The CRV's and Rav 4s of the world are doing it retail.

Since I'm leaving Acura in the next few weeks, I'm really tempted to get a MDX cheap while I can manipulate some numbers...

A colleague visiting the office where I work had a Rav4 as a rental (Hertz). She didn't ask for an SUV, but they were out of compact cars so they gave her that instead.

TBR

Nonsense. Toyota seems to be the one getting the fleet sales that were formerly GM's.

TheIntrepid

Do it! It's a great truck.

SVT666

heelntoe

@heelntoe

TheIntrepid

WookieOnRitalin

Aren't Edge sales cutting into Explorer sales?

To me that's a reasonable explanation for the loss in Explorer sales considering it's down about 11k from last year?
1989 Mazda 929
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2010 Saab 9-3
2012 Suzuki Kizashi
2015 Mazda3

1987 Nissan Maxima GXE
2006 Subaru Baja Turbo

Laconian

Quote from: HEMI666 on May 16, 2007, 01:21:36 PM

Wait, you haven't heard the nice elaborate backstory that makes it work out okay!! Give him a little while to go think one up... :devil:
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

SVT666

Quote from: WookieOnRitalin on May 28, 2007, 04:55:14 PM
Aren't Edge sales cutting into Explorer sales?

To me that's a reasonable explanation for the loss in Explorer sales considering it's down about 11k from last year?
I got a ride in a fully loaded Edge yesterday and this time I really took the time to look around inside and check out the details and this is what I found:

1. The seats are very nice and very comfortable.? Far better then the seats in our Freestyle (which I like).
2. The windshield is raked so steep that you feel a long way away from the glass, yet really close at the same time.
3. The interior quality and design is top notch.
4. The roof pillars are VERY thick.? They make it feel like there is no way the roof is ever gonna cave in, even if someone dropped a Veyron on it, however they kind of get in the way.
5. The back seat feels fairly claustrophobic.? The beltline feels too high and the pillars are too thick for good over-the-shoulder checks to the passenger side.
6. The hatch hinges almost directly over the heads of the backseat passengers because the back rakes forward quite a bit.? It makes me wonder just how much luggage one could fit back there.
7. The ride and power is really nice.

Overall, I think it's a very good SUV and one worth considering.? From the B-pillars forward it's very impressive, but from the B-pillars back it's a compromise.? I would probably still buy an Explorer over the Edge if I was in the market, but if luggage space and third row seats are not important to you, the Edge is a good choice.