VW GTI W12 0-60 in 3.7 sec.

Started by SVT666, May 17, 2007, 01:10:18 PM

SVT666

This is badass!!!!? 650 hp W12 in a VW GTI.? 0-60 mph in 3.7 seconds.? Top Speed of 202 mph.  Is it just me or does that acceleration seem a little slow for that much power?

http://www.leftlanenews.com/volkswagen-gti-w12-concept.html

Tave

It's just you.  :lol:

I wonder if this thing has any wheel-hop to deal with? That much power must launch the poor little bugger into the stratosphere.

That Brabus V12 was taking 4 seconds to get to 60. My guess is this thing is traction-limited as well. They can't fit massive meats on it.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Nethead

Quote from: HEMI666 on May 17, 2007, 01:10:18 PM
This is badass!!!!? 650 hp W12 in a VW GTI.? 0-60 mph in 3.7 seconds.? Top Speed of 202 mph.? Is it just me or does that acceleration seem a little slow for that much power?

HEMI666:  Slow?  Nah, they dropped the engine into a GTI--not a Mazda MX-5.  Badass for sure, but even more imponderable than the ME 412. 

Better to have built it and never sell it than never to have built it at all!
So many stairs...so little time...

nickdrinkwater

Colonel Cadillac

That's funny, it still has steering capabilities. If I were engineering it, I would just get rid of the whole concept of steering in this car anyway. I mean, when you accelerate, you have to wrestle the wheel to keep the car straight, and when you're going for a turn, you'll just plow into whatever you're trying to avoid.

It's best just going straight.

sportyaccordy

0-60 is a meaningless performance measurement anywhere under 4 seconds. A quarter mile time would be much better.

And I think this is a little over the top... cool concept though; I'd love to see this hit the track against supercars like the Murcielago, F430, 911 GT3 RS, etc.

saxonyron

I agree with Sporty - the 1/4 mi is the better measure of performance.  Especially for this car - is it still...gasp...FWD??  No way to efficiently put down 650 HP via the front wheels.  Quattro is more like it.  I love the idea of this car, but seriously doubt it'll make it to the streets.  Maybe a 400 HP version of a GTI on 'roids.

Either way, I think it looks badass!

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

Eye of the Tiger

Is that real? Because it really looks like a comptuer animation to me...  :confused:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Tave

Quote from: saxonyron on May 17, 2007, 04:38:00 PM
I agree with Sporty - the 1/4 mi is the better measure of performance.? Especially for this car - is it still...gasp...FWD??? No way to efficiently put down 650 HP via the front wheels.? Quattro is more like it.? I love the idea of this car, but seriously doubt it'll make it to the streets.? Maybe a 400 HP version of a GTI on 'roids.

Either way, I think it looks badass!

I bet it's AWD. HKS did something similar to the new beetle and converted it before cramming the new engine in.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

850CSi

Quote from: HEMI666 on May 17, 2007, 01:10:18 PM
This is badass!!!!? 650 hp W12 in a VW GTI.? 0-60 mph in 3.7 seconds.? Top Speed of 202 mph.? Is it just me or does that acceleration seem a little slow for that much power?

I see what you're saying and I agree.. for that weight and power you'd expect it to be faster. It probably has trouble putting down all that power.

Actually in the style of the Renault turbo 5 and the Clio V6.  The engine in this  beast is mid mounted behind the driver, and it is Rear wheel drive.

"PRESS RELEASE:
Volkswagen Golf GTI W12 650
Showtime at the W?rthersee

Leave conventions behind and let ypur passion awake - since the beginning these were the roots of the GTI idea. Until today they got more than 1.67 million drivers into their spell. Long has the Golf GTI been an icon. A mark for itself.

Since 1982 Golf GTI celebrate it annually in the Austrian Land at the W?rthersee. Thousands come.Volkswagen placed a Golf before them: the Golf GTI W12-650 showcar. This sports car is a inclination before the GTI friends at the W?rthersee, people for whom the GTI is a myth.
Stronger, broader, faster
A Golf was never stronger, broader or faster. It seems that the Golf GTI W12-650 comes directly from the racing course. A Golf that runs like the Pace Car of the 24 hours of Le Mans. Its name means: W12-Zylinder, 650 HP (477 KW with 6.000 rpm). A Showcar, not more, not less. Nevertheless it shows what enormous potential the Golf has to offer.

3.7 seconds, 325 km/h, 750 Newtonmeters
Its 6,0 Liter Biturbo engine is longitudinal and placed directly behind the driver and the front seat passenger. The Golf GTI W12-650 differentiate itself in this way from the classical central engine car. A 6-speed automatic transmission transfers 750 Newtonmeters (at 4.500 rpm) to the rear axle. It catapults the Golf GTI W12-650 to 100 km/h in 3.7 seconds. With a maximum speed of 325 km/h the Golf GTI W12-650 leaves behind nearly all of the world's supercars.

Width 1.88 m, 235er tire in front, 295er tire in the back
Automotive engineers and designers united under Volkswagen Golf GTI W12 650
its 1.88 meters (series: 1.76 meters) spread and 1.42 meters (series: 1.50 meters) flatten body. The chassis components of the Golf GTI W12-650 were adapted directly from supersports cars. The wheels are of course made from a light alloy and because of the gigantic wheel dimensions a specialy engineered tire had to be made.

70 millimeters lower, 160 millimeters broader
The goal was clearly defined - despite the partially dramatic technical changes the study should
remain completely clear that this is a Golf GTI. Therefore as much parts as possible were taken from tha classical GTI like: the headlights, the doors, the front hood and the tail lamps. The axles were pushed 70 millimeters into the body.

The largest problem was to supply the 6-litre central engine with sufficient air and to produce sufficient drift at the rear axle without watering the silhouette of the Golf GTI W12-650. Therefore the C-columns were re-designed in such a way that they lead air to the engine. The rear side windows run inward, so that two channels develop between the disks and the C-columns on the left and on the right to drive air to the engine.
The Carbon fiber roof is a diffuser
Innovative building of the body also prevented that the lines of the Golf GTI W12-650 to get ruined by a putting on a roof wing. The study carries the wing inward. The roof is part of an enormous diffuser, which provides sufficient drift to the rear axle. It's made from carbon fiber and leads air under the normal tail spoiler.

Interior with racing ambitions
The leather is Alcantara. On the middle range of the armatures are Three rows of auxiliary instruments. Transparent "Flip UP" switch guards for central functions like the disconnectible ESP look like taken derectly from the race track.

Fire extinguishers are integrated in the place of the glove compartment to also remind us of the race. Because of weight reasons "stripped" the door linings are complete; only lattices are used, which grant a complete view of the interior mechanics of the door. "

Raghavan

MR?? I want one!
But it's automatic. :cry:

TheIntrepid

Insane numbers, but I don't like the widebody kit.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

Secret Chimp

It looks like it's trying to play a game of Chubby Bunny with that bumper on it.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

850CSi

Quote from: 565 on May 17, 2007, 08:07:40 PM
Actually in the style of the Renault turbo 5 and the Clio V6.? The engine in this? beast is mid mounted behind the driver, and it is Rear wheel drive.

:clap: :mask: :confused: :praise:

That's awesome!

I really hate the body kit, but I suppose for the money I could get one without it.  :lol:

Raghavan

Quote from: 850CSi on May 17, 2007, 11:21:12 PM
:clap: :mask: :confused: :praise:

That's awesome!

I really hate the body kit, but I suppose for the money I could get one without it.  :lol:
But would you take it with the automatic?

the Teuton

Quote from: Tave on May 17, 2007, 04:43:15 PM
I bet it's AWD. HKS HPA did something similar to the new beetle and converted it before cramming the new engine in.

:praise:

It's like a Renault R5 for the 21st century.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

850CSi

Quote from: Raghavan on May 17, 2007, 11:21:57 PM
But would you take it with the automatic?

I don't know if I'd really want a clutch with 650HP on tap. Is there a clutch plate in the world that wouldn't be fried by one bad launch?

280Z Turbo

Quote from: 850CSi on May 17, 2007, 11:43:07 PM
I don't know if I'd really want a clutch with 650HP on tap. Is there a clutch plate in the world that wouldn't be fried by one bad launch?

You might be surprised.

Secret Chimp

Read Jay Leno's article on the Porsche Carrera GT, that clutch would do it easy.

ChrisV

Once you have anywhere near that much power, an automatic works fine, just like in big block musclecars and drag cars.

As for the widebody, that's typical of converted mid engine compacts, much like the original R5 Turbo. it's simply how you cover wide meats, and I love it. You wouldn't want it to look like a tubbed Pro Street drag car, would you?

Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

TheIntrepid

Out of all of those, the Renault R5 is the only one that looks good IMO.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

ChrisV

What? You don't absolutely love the motorcycle powered, tube frame, carbon fiber Honda 600 autocross car? I think it looks GREAT, and shows much care in construction.

How about my buddy's homemade mid-engine Honda civic?

And there's plenty to love about the Kimini, a home made mid engine Mini... it's just TOOO cool!

But I forget, you have no taste or ability to appreciate anything that isn't a Camry or Intrepid. :lol: You've got to be able to appreciate beauty through function. At least, a well rounded car enthusiast can... I'm trying to open and expand your mind here. Just a little. Is that too much to ask?

heelntoe

Quote from: ChrisV on May 18, 2007, 07:29:22 AM
What? You don't absolutely love the motorcycle powered, tube frame, carbon fiber Honda 600 autocross car? I think it looks GREAT, and shows much care in construction.

How about my buddy's homemade mid-engine Honda civic?

:wub: :wub:
what engine does it use?
@heelntoe

Raghavan

Quote from: ChrisV on May 18, 2007, 07:15:31 AM
Once you have anywhere near that much power, an automatic works fine, just like in big block musclecars and drag cars.

As for the widebody, that's typical of converted mid engine compacts, much like the original R5 Turbo. it's simply how you cover wide meats, and I love it. You wouldn't want it to look like a tubbed Pro Street drag car, would you?

I would take any of those cars. :wub: :wub:

Even though they're French.

Is that 3rd pic car all CF???
And i love that Civic too! :wub:

Tave

MR/RW? Then it probably REALLY has a problem with wheel hop.

ChrisV

ChrisV

Quote from: Raghavan on May 18, 2007, 07:57:28 AM

Is that 3rd pic car all CF???

yup. they took a mold off of a '72 Honda Z600 coupe and made a CF body for the tube frame chassis... More pics. Thread hijack FTW!

And the chassis underneath it:

Champ

Quote from: ChrisV on May 18, 2007, 07:29:22 AM
And there's plenty to love about the Kimini, a home made mid engine Mini... it's just TOOO cool!

This car makes me giggle.

Love it!!!!

Secret Chimp

Quote from: ChrisV on May 18, 2007, 09:05:07 AM
Acura V6 from an early Legend.

That's cool - did he just graft in the front end suspension and drivetrain to the rear frame? Using a FWD powertrain in the rear of a car wouldn't seem too bad if you knew welding...