Thinking about a TT...

Started by 850CSi, June 20, 2005, 09:25:48 AM

850CSi

QuoteThe Z came dead last. That's fine, I don't much care for the 350Z.

However the TT beat both Zs, which is quite impressive considering it's Golf based.

Needless to say, The Porsche was first. Of course, the Porsche or Ferrari is always first, unless the Corvette is involved, but that can only win based on price.
I don't like the 350Z too much, and I didn't think a classic Z enthusiast would, either. :lol:

That IS an impressive finish for the TT...

BTW, that comparison is exactly how I would have ranked them.

FlatBlackCaddy

850 Have you driven a TT yet?

850CSi

Quote850 Have you driven a TT yet?
Nope.

What stinks for me is that it's a bit difficult to get test-drives because of my age.

I'll be sure to drive whatever I'm going to buy though before I buy it.

FlatBlackCaddy

Ok, i was just wondering.
Reading some of your posts it seemed like you have yet to drive one.

FlatBlackCaddy

*double post

Tom

Nope.

What stinks for me is that it's a bit difficult to get test-drives because of my age.

Take a parent along.  Show them the money and they'll jump.

850CSi

Nope.

Take a parent along.  Show them the money and they'll jump.
Yeah, my uncle was with me when we bought the A4. I drove an A6, the A4 I later bought, and a 528i.

850CSi

QuoteOk, i was just wondering.
Yeah.

But from what I'm reading about it, it's like they're describing the way my A4 feels. And my A4 weighs only about 50lbs more. So I can guess pretty well how the TT drives.

850CSi

I kind of wish it was lighter, around 3000 lbs. instead of 3200. I do a lot of driving on the highway, though, so that actually might be a good thing.

FlatBlackCaddy

Yeah.

But from what I'm reading about it, it's like they're describing the way my A4 feels. And my A4 weighs only about 50lbs more. So I can guess pretty well how the TT drives.
But the TT has a different drivetrain setup, and different weight distribution.
You should go drive one, as they tend to feel more like a jetta/golf then a A4.

Tom

I drove my neighbors TT around the block a few times.  All I remember is that the throws were short and quick and it was very rev happy.  The tires were easy to spin from takeoff too.

BMWDave

QuoteI drove my neighbors TT around the block a few times.  All I remember is that the throws were short and quick and it was very rev happy.  The tires were easy to spin from takeoff too.
Thats quite your normal spin around the block :P  

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

850CSi

Yeah.

But the TT has a different drivetrain setup, and different weight distribution.
You should go drive one, as they tend to feel more like a jetta/golf then a A4.
I just went to the Audi dealership to check out the new A4, and I sat in a TT... I just didn't like it for some reason.

mazda6er

QuoteI just went to the Audi dealership to check out the new A4, and I sat in a TT... I just didn't like it for some reason.
Was it the seating position or what? The appearance?
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

280Z Turbo

850CSi

I went to the BMW and Audi dealerships and sat in a buncha cars...

E90 3-Series: I was not dissapointed. There was a Monaco Blue example with the Terra leather interior in the show room. Talk about NICE. And it's every bit as nice as it looks in the pictures. I also sat in a black interior. I think I'd like it most in Grey. Steel Grey/Grey, If I had to buy one. I also sat in the back. Headroom was the slightest bit tight, but it was overall very roomy. They're not kidding when they say it's comparable to the E39 5er in the back.

5er: There was a 530Xi Wagon in the show room. It was the first time in a long time I've been in an E60 interior. Those things are underrated from the inside, especially in black. It was pretty darn nice. Not as nice as an E, but very nice. I also noticed a good amount of AWD 5-Series models in the lot.

7er: Good lord, what an awesome place to be. Everything about it from the inside was just awesome. I could never imagine myself driving something that BIG though.

^One thing I noticed with all of the Bimmers is just HOW HQ and solid everything felt. From the door handles to thte way the doors closed to the dash materials and gauge cluster, everything felt put together so well. Especially the 3-Series.

'06 A4: Very nice in every respect. Also felt very solid, and I really like the facelift.

TT: I just don't like the interior too much for some reason. And I just realized that I like the 325Ci a lot more.

A8: Good God, I could live in there. The A8's interior is easily the nicest of any car I have ever been in. Attention to detail and materials is just remarkable, simply amazing.

850CSi

QuoteI just went to the Audi dealership to check out the new A4, and I sat in a TT... I just didn't like it for some reason.
Was it the seating position or what? The appearance?
Mainly appearance. The seats were awesome, but I just don't like the way the whole design flowed and I didn't like the way the gauge cluster was done. At all.

850CSi

I'm going to have to talk to my dad tonight. My scores are great, so I might just be able to convince him to go for a 325i. Problem is, I really don't feel right asking my dad to spend $35K on a car for me to drive, even though it's still 100% his car. On the other hand, I'm already driving a $38K X3 2.5i around most of the time [He's been taking the A4 a lot recently; we switch off, especially now that I'm out of school].

The way I see it, it's 2006 A4 vs. 2006 325i. I'd prefer the Bimmer, but I'm defenitely going to be leaving it up to my dad without bugging him, because I'm already asking too much. Then again, it is effectively his 2nd car and weekend toy [he uses the A4 a lot when he feels like DRIVING]. And he doesn't pretend, he's made it known that the prospect of a 6-Speed 325i in the garage is very appealing to him.
If not those two, then most likely something in the low $20K range, and I'd favor an E46 3-Series.

Anything we buy is going to be stick-shift, because my dad loves it, and so do I. And I tend to speed when driving Autos.

280Z Turbo

Quote^One thing I noticed with all of the Bimmers is just HOW HQ and solid everything felt. From the door handles to thte way the doors closed to the dash materials and gauge cluster, everything felt put together so well. Especially the 3-Series.

That's what I thought too when I looked at a friend of a friend's BMW 530i. It had nice chrome touches, tight gaps, and real leather! I also love the shape of the dash. It made our '99 Olds Intrigue w/ gray leather look like crap. :praise:

The design is so clean and modern that it will probably never look old.

I also sat in a black 3er with the sport package at a local autoshow. I loved that one too, but the 5 series is my favorite.

850CSi

I like the old BMW interiors more than the new ones, even though the new ones look more upscale. The old ones had a better layout.

Actually, one of the things pulling me towards an E46 is the interior.

280Z Turbo

I hate the new shape of the dash. I like it better when the center stack flows into the center console. The new interiors look kinda busy, IMHO.

The old ones however, are simply beautiful. I love the gauges, overall shape, and attention to detail.

R33 GT-R

And if your thankin you want a TT, there's one coming home.  Yee Haw!
Dubbed:  Skanky Whore!

Raza

I've driven a couple of TTs, both the coupe and the roadster, both with a real manual, both 1.8Ts, both with AWD.

It's a fun experience.  You've got to work harder to get the back end to play, and the shifter is a little rubbery (but driving an Audi, you're probably used to it by now).  It's not an A4 coupe, however--it's got the underpinnings of a Golf or GTI, not a Passat, which is what the A4 is based on.  

I love the TT, but it's one of those cars I'd probably never buy.  The coupe, in its artful glory has no sunroof, and for the money, a 350Z or Mustang GT will outperform it, and a G35 coupe will come close to its level of refinement while still running circles around it.  The roadster is incredibly fun to drive, but I'd be wary of choosing one over the much cheaper and more fun to drive Toyota MR-2.  Be aware that the only the more expensive Porsche Boxster will have an interior that is comparable in quality and fit and finish, and only the late models of the discontinued Box, or the new one.  

As far as an involving drive is concerned, the TT will keep you on the edge of your seat, but this car, much like your A4 or my Passat, I suppose, will only reward you if you push it, nearly beyond all imagineable limits you'd think the car would have.  An excerpt from my pending article on the TT roadster:

"It?s fairly simplistic?the radio controls are covered by a metallic panel with the letter TT emblazoned across?and it extends the art motif to the cockpit.  There are a few oddities about the positioning of controls:  the CD changer is behind the driver seat, and the trunk release is behind the passenger.  So if you?re going on long trips, find six CDs that you really like if you don?t want to pull over ever few hours.  The trunk isn?t large, but it?s not too small either.  Golf clubs might be a tight fit, but as long as you?re not moving your armoire, you shouldn?t be in too bad shape.  Another thing you?ll notice is that the steering wheel doesn?t go quite high enough, but it?s easy to become acquainted with quickly."

"With Audi?s AWD system, this roadster comes as close to a four season convertible as you can get, however a more balanced rear drive chassis would be the best for a sports car.  This isn?t a sports car, though, and as soon as you come to terms with that, you?ll be able to appreciate it for the boulevardier that it really is.  With 225 horsepower on tap, the TT can launch itself forward more than adequately.  With the power war ever escalating, the number may not seem very impressive, but keeping the TT?s 1.8T turbocharged four-cylinder on boil with the manual transmission is a breeze?this car will surprise many with just how peppy the engine actually is.  You won?t be embarrassing Nissan Z cars at your local drag strip, but it?s more than sufficient.  If you stand on the gas pedal, you can hear the sweet sound of the engine revving and the turbo spooling?ah, the beautiful sound of a whistling turbo."

"It?s not a sports car?it?s the very definition of a boulevardier.  It?s not as hard edged as a Nissan 350Z Roadster or Honda S2000 nor is it as expensive as the more balanced BMW Z4, Mercedes SLK, or Porsche Boxster.  If that?s what you?re looking for, you may not find a better car."
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

ifcar

Just want to point out that a Z4 2.5i starts at $1,200 less than the TT base convertible.

Raza

QuoteJust want to point out that a Z4 2.5i starts at $1,200 less than the TT base convertible.
Are you pointing that out to me?  

I was comparing to the Z4 3.0 which has comparable power and acceleration times.  Which is more expensive, if I recall correctly.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

ifcar

QuoteJust want to point out that a Z4 2.5i starts at $1,200 less than the TT base convertible.

I was comparing to the Z4 3.0 which has comparable power and acceleration times.  Which is more expensive, if I recall correctly.
I believe the Z4 2.5i is quicker than the 180-hp Base TT (the only price I mentioned), and may even be as quick as the uplevel 225-hp version.

R33 GT-R

don't be pointing out anything to Raza, he'll drop the hammer on you iftruck
Dubbed:  Skanky Whore!

Raza

In short, if I'd resigned myself to a coupe with no sunroof, I'd choose a 350Z.  More power, better handling, sportier looks (art isn't necessarily aggressive), and a similar trans, in my opinion.  Though, I do like the lower clutch grab of the TT compared to the rather high one of the 350Z.  Good for launches, but the higher catch of the 350Z makes fast shits faster and is better for performance driving.  

Hell, if you want something that isn't too sporty, I'd also look at the Chrysler Crossfire, the TT's most direct competitor.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

I believe the Z4 2.5i is quicker than the 180-hp Base TT (the only price I mentioned), and may even be as quick as the uplevel 225-hp version.
Stopped to 60, a 6 speed 225bhp quattro TT runs about 6.4 seconds, whereas the Z4 2.5i is a touch over 7 with a manual.  

A 350Z would embarass both cars for cheaper.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

ifcar

Stopped to 60, a 6 speed 225bhp quattro TT runs about 6.4 seconds, whereas the Z4 2.5i is a touch over 7 with a manual.  

A 350Z would embarass both cars for cheaper.
I'm looking at a 6.8-second run for the Z4 2.5i, from Consumer Guide of all places.  <_<

And yes, the 350Z is faster. So?