Thinking about a TT...

Started by 850CSi, June 20, 2005, 09:25:48 AM

Raza

QuoteJust want to point out that a Z4 2.5i starts at $1,200 less than the TT base convertible.
Are you pointing that out to me?  

I was comparing to the Z4 3.0 which has comparable power and acceleration times.  Which is more expensive, if I recall correctly.
I believe the Z4 2.5i is quicker than the 180-hp Base TT (the only price I mentioned), and may even be as quick as the uplevel 225-hp version.
Stopped to 60, a 6 speed 225bhp quattro TT runs about 6.4 seconds, whereas the Z4 2.5i is a touch over 7 with a manual.  

A 350Z would embarass both cars for cheaper.
I'm looking at a 6.8-second run for the Z4 2.5i, from Consumer Guide of all places.  <_<

And yes, the 350Z is faster. So?
When looking at a sports car (or GT, as the 350Z and TT are), acceleration is important, though by no means should it the be absolute deciding factor.  If you can accelerate faster and handle nearly as well, then it is a better choice of car at a lower price.  If the 350 were to cost as much as a Z4, then the Z4 would be my choice.  However, the 350Z does the run very quickly, with near-equal panache and finesse, and I consider it to be a better value as a sports/GT than the Z4, though I do say that the Z4 3.0 is a better car (though I can't say for sure that it's a better car than the Boxster).
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

If a backseat is necessary, then a 328i 5 speed is also a good choice.  Slower than the TT, but insurance would be lower since it is a sedan, and it should handle better.  Used car prices on the 328 are weak, since the 330 is more desireable on the used market.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

ifcar

QuoteJust want to point out that a Z4 2.5i starts at $1,200 less than the TT base convertible.

I was comparing to the Z4 3.0 which has comparable power and acceleration times.  Which is more expensive, if I recall correctly.
I believe the Z4 2.5i is quicker than the 180-hp Base TT (the only price I mentioned), and may even be as quick as the uplevel 225-hp version.
Stopped to 60, a 6 speed 225bhp quattro TT runs about 6.4 seconds, whereas the Z4 2.5i is a touch over 7 with a manual.  

I'm looking at a 6.8-second run for the Z4 2.5i, from Consumer Guide of all places.  <_<

When looking at a sports car (or GT, as the 350Z and TT are), acceleration is important, though by no means should it the be absolute deciding factor.  If you can accelerate faster and handle nearly as well, then it is a better choice of car at a lower price.  If the 350 were to cost as much as a Z4, then the Z4 would be my choice.  However, the 350Z does the run very quickly, with near-equal panache and finesse, and I consider it to be a better value as a sports/GT than the Z4, though I do say that the Z4 3.0 is a better car (though I can't say for sure that it's a better car than the Boxster).
Right, but I was only comparing the TT and Z4, and only the pricing at that.

850CSi

I never thought I'd see the day when ifcar starts acting like a BMW troll :lol:

ifcar

Only BMW trolls point out inaccurate information about BMWs? :rolleyes:

Raza

He said Quattro, which unless he goes far back, is not available with the base 180bhp motor, nor was the base engine available with a stick shift.  Recent TT Quattros have been 225bhp and stick, every single one.  In my article, it's compared to the Z4 3.0, which is more of a competition than the 2.5 to the TT high output engine.  

And while you were comparing pricing, I was comparing everything.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

850CSi

Okay...

I still need to go look over an older TT coupe. I really need a back seat, even if it's nearly useless.

If I had to choose my car right now, in that low $20K range, I would likely chose either a 325Ci or a 328Ci with low mileage. I'm still not sure my dad is going to be very accepting to the whole coupe idea, so this might end up turning into a battle of sedans: ~2002 325i and ~2002 A4 1.8T q.

Raza

QuoteOkay...

I still need to go look over an older TT coupe. I really need a back seat, even if it's nearly useless.

If I had to choose my car right now, in that low $20K range, I would likely chose either a 325Ci or a 328Ci with low mileage. I'm still not sure my dad is going to be very accepting to the whole coupe idea, so this might end up turning into a battle of sedans: ~2002 325i and ~2002 A4 1.8T q.
Get a 328i.  The 3er sedans look just as good as the coupes, offer little to no performance penalty, cost less (though much of that price differential is evened out on the used market), and can be insured for less money.  Also, they're not percieved as sporty by people, so cops won't look too much at them and a sedan is definitely a sleeper compared to the coupe.  I'd also look at a C43 AMG, if you can find one.  

Hell, a C32 can't cost much more than 20K nowadays.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

850CSi

QuoteOnly BMW trolls point out inaccurate information about BMWs? :rolleyes:
No. You were defending the Z4. :lol:  

850CSi

He said Quattro, which unless he goes far back, is not available with the base 180bhp motor, nor was the base engine available with a stick shift.  Recent TT Quattros have been 225bhp and stick, every single one.  In my article, it's compared to the Z4 3.0, which is more of a competition than the 2.5 to the TT high output engine.  

And while you were comparing pricing, I was comparing everything.
As far as TTs go, I was looking at around a 2002. A good amount of them in my area are 180HP 5-Speed quattros.

Raza

The 180bhp were dogs.  I'd definitely get a 328i instead.  

Have you given any thought to an A6 2.7T or S4 2.7?

Oh!  A Saab 9-3 Viggen!

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

ifcar

QuoteOnly BMW trolls point out inaccurate information about BMWs? :rolleyes:
No. You were defending the Z4. :lol:
Is it so indefensible that only BMW trolls would defend it?  <_<  

850CSi

QuoteThe 180bhp were dogs.  I'd definitely get a 328i instead.  

Have you given any thought to an A6 2.7T or S4 2.7?

Oh!  A Saab 9-3 Viggen!
I really don't care that much about speed. And FWD = no. :lol:

328s aren't that easy to find, and most of 'em have pretty high mileage.

I'm pretty much set on a 3-Series. That's what I'm gonna tell my dad... 3-Series, preferably a new one or an E46 coupe. Whatever one he wants to get is his choice.

Raza

In that case, I'd choose a 325i 5 speed sedan, E46.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Colonel Cadillac

I would definitely stick with a new 325i, if it is an option for you, why not go for it?

By the way, the E46 325i has WORSE gas mileage than the E46 330i

Raza

QuoteI would definitely stick with a new 325i, if it is an option for you, why not go for it?

By the way, the E46 325i has WORSE gas mileage than the E46 330i
I think the 3.0litre I6 fits the personality of the E90 more than the 2.5 I6 does.  The E46 seems best with the 2.5.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

850CSi

By the way, the E46 325i has WORSE gas mileage than the E46 330i.
Isn't it the same? 20/30 IIRC...

Raza

Get an E36 M3, you dolt!

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

850CSi

Get an E36 M3, you dolt!
I wish. Parents wouldn't agree.

Raza

Get an E36 M3, you dolt!
A sedan.  Tell them it's not much faster than a 325i, and it's safer.  Which it is, since only punk ass bitches buy 325s, and I KILL punk ass bitches.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

850CSi

Get an E36 M3, you dolt!
A sedan.  Tell them it's not much faster than a 325i, and it's safer.  Which it is, since only punk ass bitches buy 325s, and I KILL punk ass bitches.
lol

I talked to my dad. It's looking like an '06 325i 6-Speed.

BMWDave

Get an E36 M3, you dolt!
lol

I talked to my dad. It's looking like an '06 325i 6-Speed.
Very cool!  I'm very jealous :lol:  

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

850CSi

I'm jealous of my feet, hands, and adrenal glands.

The 325 will be mine most of the time except whenever my dad wants to swtich off. I'll most likely buy it off of him right after I graduate college and get a job.

saxonyron

Faris - I'm weighing in late, but I agree with the way things are headed - you should be pumped about that 325!  Although the TT is a gorgeous car, the BMW (or A4 for that matter) would make a much better daily driver.  Besides, I think it's the best looking BMW to be released since Bangle arrived.   I sat in a TT and agree with your assessment (even though I actually couldn't fit in the car - I literally could barely shoehorn my 6'7" self into the car without ludicrous effort.)  Once in, the cockpit felt even more restrictive than I anticipated.  This was accented by the high belt line - I felt like I was sitting in a hole.  Other than that, the car still seems like a weekend cruiser, not a daily driver.  

BTW, nice write-up Raza!  Will it find its way into the CarSPIN homepage?  As far as a TT redo, here's what I found should be coming in 2006 (minor detail tweaking.  Not sure when a full re-write is due):

(Not sure if anyone clarified this, but  the TT is based on the Beetle/Golf/A3 paltrform.  95.4" wheelbase vs 104.3" wheelbase for the A4.)

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

Raza

QuoteFaris - I'm weighing in late, but I agree with the way things are headed - you should be pumped about that 325!  Although the TT is a gorgeous car, the BMW (or A4 for that matter) would make a much better daily driver.  Besides, I think it's the best looking BMW to be released since Bangle arrived.   I sat in a TT and agree with your assessment (even though I actually couldn't fit in the car - I literally could barely shoehorn my 6'7" self into the car without ludicrous effort.)  Once in, the cockpit felt even more restrictive than I anticipated.  This was accented by the high belt line - I felt like I was sitting in a hole.  Other than that, the car still seems like a weekend cruiser, not a daily driver. 

BTW, nice write-up Raza!  Will it find its way into the CarSPIN homepage?  As far as a TT redo, here's what I found should be coming in 2006 (minor detail tweaking.  Not sure when a full re-write is due):

(Not sure if anyone clarified this, but  the TT is based on the Beetle/Golf/A3 paltrform.  95.4" wheelbase vs 104.3" wheelbase for the A4.)
Sorry, sax, it's for Automobear.

:D

And I already told him what platform it's on.  

By the way, VWAG rules!  I love the 2.7T A6s...best car they had for a long time.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

saxonyron

Thanks!  I'm still loving mine at 100K+ miles.  Just painted the front bumper and she looks brand new again!

(BTW - ya wright good.  I mean, you have a scintillating and engaging writing style :lol:  .  I'll have to check out Automobear - between your writing and Wimmer's pics (he's involved too, right?), should be good!  No BS - I was impressed (and not just cause you complimented my car)!

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

Raza

QuoteThanks!  I'm still loving mine at 100K+ miles.  Just painted the front bumper and she looks brand new again!

(BTW - ya wright good.  I mean, you have a scintillating and engaging writing style :lol:  .  I'll have to check out Automobear - between your writing and Wimmer's pics (he's involved too, right?), should be good!  No BS - I was impressed (and not just cause you complimented my car)!
Thanks!  

Wim-wim and I both have columns on Automobear, but it seems he likes to stick to writing about Mercedes, so I try to stay away from them, save for my article on the C240 4Matic.  The current one on my title screen is the ever-controversial Scion xB article, so if you want to try reading some of the others first to get a feel of what it's like when I don't drive a total piece of crap.  I think my personal favorite is the Boxster S or GTO.  The Saab is pretty good, too.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

R33 GT-R

and if your thinkin, about a TT.  There's one coming hooooooome.
Dubbed:  Skanky Whore!

Tom

Faris, may I suggest a wagon?  Lower insurance in theory, they look better atleast IMO, and performance is the same as a sedan.

TBR

QuoteThanks!  I'm still loving mine at 100K+ miles.  Just painted the front bumper and she looks brand new again!

(BTW - ya wright good.  I mean, you have a scintillating and engaging writing style :lol:  .  I'll have to check out Automobear - between your writing and Wimmer's pics (he's involved too, right?), should be good!  No BS - I was impressed (and not just cause you complimented my car)!
Thanks!  

Wim-wim and I both have columns on Automobear, but it seems he likes to stick to writing about Mercedes, so I try to stay away from them, save for my article on the C240 4Matic.  The current one on my title screen is the ever-controversial Scion xB article, so if you want to try reading some of the others first to get a feel of what it's like when I don't drive a total piece of crap.  I think my personal favorite is the Boxster S or GTO.  The Saab is pretty good, too.
Oh great, now you're going to get ifcar started again...