Started by BMWDave, June 20, 2005, 11:42:02 AM

BMWDave

2006 INFINITI M35X

DATE IN FLEET: May 20-June 3
AS-TESTED PRICE: $46,110
POWERTRAIN: 3.5-liter V6; awd, five-speed automatic
OUTPUT: 280 hp @ 6200 rpm, 270 lb-ft @ 4800 rpm
CURB WEIGHT:4004 lbs

HART: Nissan keeps stepping up to the plate and making solid contact. If not home runs, certainly extra-base hits. The Infiniti M35X is another example. The interior is identical to the M45?s, with the difference here being the 3.5-liter V6 vs. the 4.5-liter V8, plus this car has all-wheel drive. The handling is not as crisp as in the M45, due I?m sure to the awd mechanicals up front. But with the M45 we recently tested costing $12,000 more, I would have no problems living with this car. It?s plenty potent, smooth and free-revving.

With the awd, this is a serious player in the Audi A6 quattro arena.

PAVIA-RAUCHMAN: I don?t know what?s so great about keyless push-button start, but at least Infiniti did it right. There is a very clearly marked, glow-in-the-dark button where the ignition would be. (And the picture of a foot on the brake couldn?t be more instructive.)

I don?t think you can go wrong with one of these new-generation awd sedans. For those who don?t live in the SUV world but who get nervous with slushy, snowy, icy road conditions, this couldn?t be better.

GRITZINGER: I have problems with the inherent Nissan-ness of this Infiniti. Though the workhorse 3.5-liter V6 is an excellent engine in most applications, Infiniti calls for less raucousness, more refinement here?like the V8 in the M45. Tip-in is abrupt, and the transmission slams into gears sometimes, making this package seem less than what we?ve come to know as Infiniti-smooth.

Odd, as much as I loved the M45 of old, I?m not warming as much to this new-generation M. Somewhere between its Q/Maxima styling and the Nissan feel, I must admit the car leaves me underwhelmed.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

Run Away

I think an M45 would look great in black, with chrome wheels, limo tint and lowered slightly.
The smoked headlights work well with this look. Maybe de-chrome the grille?
B)

BMWDave

QuoteI think an M45 would look great in black, with chrome wheels, limo tint and lowered slightly.
The smoked headlights work well with this look. Maybe de-chrome the grille?
B)
The chrome grill goes with all the modifications you just listed ;)  :P  

2007 Honda S2000

Colonel Cadillac

That didn't seem consistant to the other reviews on the new M.  

850CSi

How much does that thing weigh?

850CSi

Oh, just saw it. Another 4000 lb. abomination.

Even the friggin A6 weighs less.

BMWDave

QuoteOh, just saw it. Another 4000 lb. abomination.

Nice new sig B)

And the M35 is positioned as a sports sedan, while the  Audi is a little different.  It must be the AWD thats taking up pounds.

2007 Honda S2000

Raza

Another 4000 lb. abomination.

You sound like me.  Yes, for all of those people who are afraid of a little water on the road and don't have proper car control, AWD is ideal.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

R33 GT-R

You sound like me.  Yes, for all of those people who are afraid of a little water on the road and don't have proper car control, AWD is ideal.
Hnnnn, don't know where to go with this one.  Recycle Bin.
Dubbed:  Skanky Whore!

Raza

Nah, I like AWD, and all (look at my sig!), but don't resort to it just because you're afraid.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

BMWDave

Nah, I like AWD, and all (look at my sig!), but don't resort to it just because you're afraid.
I think that AWD should be the choice for most consumers, since it offers superior traction and thus a higher level of safety.  For real enthusiasts, there is no reason to get AWD, unless you live in a snowy area.

2007 Honda S2000

850CSi

Nice new sig B)

And the M35 is positioned as a sports sedan, while the  Audi is a little different.  It must be the AWD thats taking up pounds.
Which is why it's so alarming that it weighs even more than the A6. The A6 isn't marketed under the same image, and it's GERMAN. One of the things the Japanese used to be good at was building lighter cars since the Germans have always had this obessesion with overengineering just about everything.

When a Japanese 4000lb. AWD monster is marketed as a 'sports sedan', my bullshit alarm goes off. Even the standard M35 weighs 3800 lbs. And they call it a 'sports sedan'.
Why are their cars so God damn heavy? I was shocked to find out that a G35 weighs as much as a 530i.

850CSi

The damn thing weighs as much as the X3 sitting in my driveway!

R33 GT-R

I think that AWD should be the choice for most consumers, since it offers superior traction and thus a higher level of safety.  For real enthusiasts, there is no reason to get AWD, unless you live in a snowy area.
AWD = the bomb in the snow.

850CSi

QuoteNice new sig B)
I figured it was about time for a change so I searched through the plethora of E90 pictures and found one I liked. Indeed, the E90 shines where the E46 failed from the side profile: The E46 was terribly disproportioned at the C-Pillar and rear, IMO.

BTW, has anyone figured out what color that is?

ifcar

QuoteNice new sig B)
I figured it was about time for a change so I searched through the plethora of E90 pictures and found one I liked. Indeed, the E90 shines where the E46 failed from the side profile: The E46 was terribly disproportioned at the C-Pillar and rear, IMO.

Hmm, gray?

R33 GT-R

850CSi

QuoteNice new sig B)

Hmm, gray?
I'm also thinking it's the "Sparkling Graphite", but it looks like it's reflecting waaaaaaaay too much blue. It's not Monaco Blue, either. I wonder, is it a color they're not offering?

TBR

QuoteNice new sig B)

I definitely agree with this one, that is why I never really cared for the E46 sedan. The E46 coupe, however, is a different story. It is still one of best looking cars on the market.  

mazda6er

QuoteNice new sig B)

I definitely agree with this one, that is why I never really cared for the E46 sedan. The E46 coupe, however, is a different story. It is still one of best looking cars on the market.
I don't think the sedan was bad looking, but it always puzzled me why so many people would choose it over the coupe.
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

Raza

QuoteNice new sig B)

I don't think the sedan was bad looking, but it always puzzled me why so many people would choose it over the coupe.
Sedan was the way to go.  Same performance, I like the looks, and lower insurance.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

ifcar

QuoteNice new sig B)

Sedan was the way to go.  Same performance, I like the looks, and lower insurance.
And, if 4-door practicality is important, you get that, too.

Raza

QuoteNice new sig B)

And, if 4-door practicality is important, you get that, too.
Righto--I don't mind practicality--it's quite nice to have some times.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i