Shopping: BMW 335i and alternatives

Started by Raza , May 23, 2007, 09:35:07 AM

Raza

Hey guys, I've mentioned it in passing, but my brother is very close to being ready to pull the trigger on a new car, and I need some help and advice.

The main differences between he and I are our view of premium badges and our requirements for performance.  He likes luxury makes and cares a lot about straightline speed, but also does like handling.  He wants a pretty good ride, but not overly plush. He doesn't need a lot of feedback like I do.  And worst of all, he wants an automatic.

These are the cars that I came up with at first:
BMW 335i 2WD Sedan-  He doesn't have the same feelings as I do about BMWs, so I actually think this car is perfect for him.  Not incredibly involving, but devastatingly fast, and definitely a step or three up dynamically from the E320.  It's got enough power that it can make up for being an automatic.  It's horribly overpriced, though, and the first number they gave my brother on a lease (over the phone, albeit) was $750 a month, more than the Boxster.

Audi A4 3.2 Quattro-  This is my choice.  Good power, AWD security, great looks, and what I thought was a DSG transmission.  Although, I can't get anyone to confirm or deny if it has a DSG.  I'm going to take a look at it later today.  It also rolls in about 5 grand less than the BMW. 

Infiniti G35 Sport-  The sort of left field candidate.  It's not that it's not a good car, it's that the only Infiniti dealership in the area is very out of the way.  The power of the BMW, and a premium options for less than the A4's price.  I mean, Bluetooth, navi, radar cruise control, and a lot of other trick stuff that he'd like.  And for $1500 more, we can get 4 wheel active steering.

I can't think of anything else.  I think he'd prefer RWD, even if he doesn't get a whole lot of use out of it, but AWD is also on the table.  He might even get a kick out of starter buttons, but on the BMW, I'd go for the Comfort Access.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TheIntrepid

Personally I'd buy a 335i. I was very close to getting one until a family crisis arose, and they're lovely cars. We test drove 3, and it's a stunning drive.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

SaltyDog

Sounds like he'll like the BMW.  They are made today to meet his requirements.

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

SJ_GTI

A4 is not DSG. The only Audi that has DSG is the A3.

I would also propose he drive the IS350. My main gripe with that car is that its automatic only, but since he's getting an automatic it shouldn't matter much. Outside of that the G35 is also a good choice, especially if he would appreciate the extra room (coming from an E-Class after all).

TheIntrepid

Why does he not save the money and get a 5-door GTI with DSG?

SJ_GTI

Quote from: TheIntrepid on May 23, 2007, 09:42:34 AM
Why does he not save the money and get a 5-door GTI with DSG?

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=9264.msg457353#msg457353 date=1179934507

The main differences between he and I are our view of premium badges and our requirements for performance.? He likes luxury makes etc...

TheIntrepid

Just because he likes it, doesn't mean he has to have it. ;)

Perhaps Raza could convince him to think practically.

Raza

Quote from: SJ_GTI on May 23, 2007, 09:39:44 AM
A4 is not DSG. The only Audi that has DSG is the A3.

I would also propose he drive the IS350. My main gripe with that car is that its automatic only, but since he's getting an automatic it shouldn't matter much. Outside of that the G35 is also a good choice, especially if he would appreciate the extra room (coming from an E-Class after all).

I could never recommend that he drive a Lexus, and I don't think he would go for it either.  He doesn't particularly like Lexus.

Thanks for the heads-up on the transmission.  Seems like that won't be a selling point then.  Maybe he'll like AWD.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: TheIntrepid on May 23, 2007, 09:46:50 AM
Just because he likes it, doesn't mean he has to have it. ;)

Perhaps Raza could convince him to think practically.

He'd never buy one.  He hates hatchbacks, and the GTI has more than enough kit for me, not enough for him. 

Are they still selling the S60R?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TheIntrepid

Champ

Quote from: Raza on May 23, 2007, 09:52:04 AM
He'd never buy one. He hates hatchbacks, and the GTI has more than enough kit for me, not enough for him.

Are they still selling the S60R?
Yes, and you should look at it.

It is monster fun, and you can get it in a blue very similar to the Viggen!  Or black with the orange interior (like my mom's) is also excellent.

Best seats you'll ever find.

Raza

Quote from: Champ on May 23, 2007, 09:57:03 AM
Yes, and you should look at it.

It is monster fun, and you can get it in a blue very similar to the Viggen!  Or black with the orange interior (like my mom's) is also excellent.

Best seats you'll ever find.

I don't know about that.  The Viggen's are amazing.

It makes less power with the automatic, right?  I will check it out.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Champ

Quote from: Raza on May 23, 2007, 09:59:38 AM
I don't know about that. The Viggen's are amazing.

It makes less power with the automatic, right? I will check it out.
Not sure about power differences with tranny.

If you liked the Viggen seats, you will like the S60R's.  They are a little bigger and very soft.  I wouldn't imagine the Viggen seats to accomodate a larger person very well.

ifcar

If power is paramount, handling is moderately important, and a comfortable ride desired, a G35 non-Sport seems ideal. And it's probably $8k-$10k cheaper than the BMW, which I would consider the second choice here. The A4 isn't a good choice for someone who wants maximum power over feel.

Raza

Again though Infiniti's infrastructure makes it a hard choice.  I'll have to see if more dealers have opened.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

saxonyron

The A4 would be my choice (big surprise!), because it has the refinement and handling at less of a price than the BMW.  A plus for me is the lesser social cache that an Audi has - too dangerous for me as a contractor to arrive in a Bimmer.  My clients would assume I was porking them! For your bro, it sounds like the status of the BMW coupled with its power might fit his needs.  Although, if his need for power surpasses his need for status, he should be all over the G35.  I've driven the '07 and the thing is a monster, plus it's way more refined and classy than the '06 that I drove.  Summing it up -

Power and price = G35
                   Refinement, handling, AWD = A4
                   Status, refinement, power = 335 i

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

ifcar

Quote from: Raza  on May 23, 2007, 10:53:16 AM
Again though Infiniti's infrastructure makes it a hard choice.  I'll have to see if more dealers have opened.

It's a price difference of many thousands of dollars. I'd say that makes it worth a drive to a dealership.

Colonel Cadillac

I would suggest the 335i, it seems like it would suit him perfectly. You may not particularly like it, but I bet it will work well with him. It seems pretty logical.

Oh, and the "comfort access" is so incredibly worthless. It's a hell of a lot more frustrating than it is beneficial, plus turning the key is always satisfying.

Now that I'm thinking about it, the BMW system is just crappy in general--with or without the comfort access, there's still the starter button.

850CSi

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on May 23, 2007, 11:02:53 AM
Now that I'm thinking about it, the BMW system is just crappy in general--with or without the comfort access, there's still the starter button.

I like Mercedes' the best. I like push-button, though.

Raza

BMW's regular system sucks more.  500 bucks is very little to pay to avoid that idiocy for the next 3-5 years.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: 850CSi on May 23, 2007, 11:06:35 AM
I like Mercedes' the best. I like push-button, though.

Is that the one where they give you a card?

I always liked the way the button was on the shifter, that is a great place for it.

Lebowski

Is this the same brother that refuses to learn how to drive stick?   :rolleyes:

When's the new C-class available?  I wouldn't get one for myself, but it looks good and I imagine it would be a good choice for a non-car person.

My choice would probably be the infiniti due to value.

If he goes for the A4, I'd get the 2.0 in FWD format.  Anyone who refuses to learn stick isn't going to appreciate the difference between RWD, FWD, and AWD, so just get the cheaper option.

I like the 335 but still think it's a bit of a ripoff.

saxonyron

Quote from: Lebowski on May 23, 2007, 11:10:00 AM
Is this the same brother that refuses to learn how to drive stick? :rolleyes:

When's the new C-class available? I wouldn't get one for myself, but it looks good and I imagine it would be a good choice for a non-car person.

If he goes for the A4, I'd get the 2.0 in FWD format. Anyone who refuses to learn stick isn't going to appreciate the difference between RWD, FWD, and AWD, so just get the cheaper option.

It's damn near impossible anywhere in the snow belt to even find a FWD Audi.  Haven't seen one around here in years.

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

850CSi

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on May 23, 2007, 11:09:30 AM
Is that the one where they give you a card?

I always liked the way the button was on the shifter, that is a great place for it.

I like that one too, but I was talking more about the standard key fob. It's neat how you turn it and it then holds it by itself until the car starts.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: saxonyron on May 23, 2007, 11:12:59 AM
It's damn near impossible anywhere in the snow belt to even find a FWD Audi.  Haven't seen one around here in years.

I'm in Toronto and I see FWD ones all the time. :huh:

Raza

Drove A4.
Bailed on 335.
Full report later.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Okay, so I'm back.  Drove a fully spec'd 3.2. 

The car is really great looking.  With the demise of the C class, this is the undisputed best looking car in class.  The interior is perfectly built.  Audis and VWs really do know how to make quality interiors. 

But, this isn't a full on review, so I won't give you the song and dance, but driving this car was one hell of an experience.  The ride is well controlled, it's fast, and it handles curves and bumps with aplomb.  I really enjoyed driving it.  The transmission is fast acting and smart, and it came with paddle shifters.  The paddle shifters work well, shifting quickly and even blipping the throttle on downshifts.  Makes you wonder why you would buy a fiddly SMG. 

But there are a few problems with the car.  The paddles are steering wheel mounted and not column mounted, so when flicking through corners you're searching for them instead of having them fixed in one position.  They are single purpose, though, which I like.  I've heard BMW paddles flick in for upshifts and out for downshifts, and I don't like that, since you'd have to move your fingers on the inside and make an unnatural motion.  The handbrake is also tucked away neatly under the armrest, which means you have to move the armrest to use the handbrake, and because the armrest is in a weird position, getting to the shifter is odd, which made me thankful for the paddles.  Other than that rather glaring fault, the interior ergonomics were very good. 

There's not a lot of rear legroom, which is worrying, frankly, since his car is usually the one we take when a bunch of us (friends, not family) take when we go out.  But, I don't think he'll care much. 

The sport mode in the transmission works quite well too.  My brother might not use the paddles very much, but he would enjoy the sport mode.  If I had to take the car from him, I wouldn't mind this one, even with the automatic. 

Although, there is one other thing that seems strange to me.  The throttle response is razor sharp.  Too sharp, almost; it seems artificially boosted, and the car seems to hold on to your inputs even when you let off.  So, if you were accelerating and then you let off the gas, it would continue to accelerate for a moment before laying off.  Maybe it's because of the engine's torque curve, but I've never driven another car that does this.  Ron, have you noticed anything like that?

I bailed on driving the 335i because traffic was really bad and the cops were out in force.  Three people were pulled over in the time I was at the Audi dealership.  I figured there was no point in going for it today.  I will eventually, though.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

ifcar

Is he going to test drive it as well?

Raza

Quote from: ifcar on May 23, 2007, 05:16:33 PM
Is he going to test drive it as well?

Yes, he will.  I'm just whittling away and giving him my impressions.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: Lebowski on May 23, 2007, 11:10:00 AM
Is this the same brother that refuses to learn how to drive stick?   :rolleyes:

When's the new C-class available?  I wouldn't get one for myself, but it looks good and I imagine it would be a good choice for a non-car person.

If he goes for the A4, I'd get the 2.0 in FWD format.  Anyone who refuses to learn stick isn't going to appreciate the difference between RWD, FWD, and AWD, so just get the cheaper option.

Yeah, I only have the one.  He likes the responsiveness of RWD, but he's spun the E320 before, and I'm sure that he would enjoy AWD.  Think of him in the sort of same position that Dazzle was in when he was buying his BMW.  He wants a good car, but isn't dedicated enough to work for one.

And I wouldn't write off the new C class.  Evo gave it 4 and a half stars.  I was going to post the review as soon as they put it online.  However, this is coming from a problem he had with a stupid design on the Mercedes that caused damage when changing a tire, and made him skip a day of work to get it fixed, and it costed over a grand.  He's not considering a Mercedes again, and won't be for a very long time.

Also, the closest dealer to me doesn't stock FWD Audis, other than the TT and A3. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i