Better spy shots of BMW 1 Series Coupe

Started by MexicoCityM3, May 24, 2007, 08:30:01 AM

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

ro51092

Danish

Quote from: Lebowski on December 17, 2008, 05:46:10 PM
No advice can be worse than Coug's, in any thread, ever.

Quote from: Danish on May 29, 2007, 05:33:22 PM
And therein lies the answer

BMW takes this "only M gets LSD" thing a bit too far.  I always figured that the 335i was the BMW that suffered the most from this, but recently I learned about one that I overlooked.  The BMW Z8.  M5 engine, 400hp, no LSD  :banghead:.

850CSi

Quote from: 565 on May 29, 2007, 05:39:53 PM
BMW takes this "only M gets LSD" thing a bit too far.? I always figured that the 335i was the BMW that suffered the most from this, but recently I learned about one that I overlooked.? The BMW Z8.? M5 engine, 400hp, no LSD? :banghead:.

There must be a reason for that, mechanical or otherwise. The reason the others lack it is basically marketing, a 335i with an LSD would make an M3 pointless. Porsche doesn't give the Boxster an LSD for the same reason.... It would outhandle the 911s.

Although if I could afford a Z8 I could easily afford to add an LSD.

Danish

Quote from: 850CSi on May 29, 2007, 06:02:06 PM
There must be a reason for that, mechanical or otherwise. The reason the others lack it is basically marketing, a 335i with an LSD would make an M3 pointless. Porsche doesn't give the Boxster an LSD for the same reason.... It would outhandle the 911s.

Although if I could afford a Z8 I could easily afford to add an LSD.

On a related note, I've read that Porsche gave the Cayman S a high first gear so it wouldn't be faster than 911s going 0-60.
Quote from: Lebowski on December 17, 2008, 05:46:10 PM
No advice can be worse than Coug's, in any thread, ever.

LonghornTX

Quote from: Raza  on May 29, 2007, 08:55:43 AM
If the R32 had 500 more horsepower, the 130i wouldn't stand a chance.

We can play the if game all day.
I guess.  The point I was trying to make is that HP for HP and equipment for equipment the 130i is IMO a more capable performance platform and this distinction would be even greater as you added HP to both.  If equipment needs to be added in the aftermarket, then so be it.  I look at cars as platforms, some might say balls of clay, not as finished, untouchable products.  With that in mind, I see the 130i as a substantially better platform to begin with.  It is lighter, has better weight distribution, has more HP stock, from a more fuel efficient engine, and most importantly, it is RWD, not AWD.  Some might not see it that way (like you), and that is ok, I am simply expressing my opinion.

Plus, you put these two cars stock on a longer track and I would bet the 130i is going to come out ahead because of its better acceleration and more HP.  But again, that is just my opinion.  Forums are fun, huh  :lol:?
Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week.

LonghornTX

This is pretty much what the coupe will look like, as confirmed by reliable insiders:

You should see official pics on LLN any day now  :rockon:.

LonghornTX

850CSi

That's awesome; I really really like the rear and how the C-Pillar came out, it looks almost like an E46 from some angles. I'm still not crazy about the front but it's not bad.

ro51092

I want one. Hatch or coupe, I don't care. Just give me one.

Raghavan

The rear end reminds me of an accent. I'd much rather have the 3 door hatch they get in Europe (i think).

MX793

It would look better sans some of the flame surfacing on the sides.  I'm speaking specifically of the curved crease along the lower door that makes it look as though the car is sagging a bit in the middle.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

LonghornTX

SJ_GTI

The more I see, the more I like it.

I would love to buy a 125i.

LonghornTX

Some more information from our faithful informer over at GCZ and 2addicts.com:

"The drive I was on was a clandestine introduction for the media who will report their conclusions shortly. As we had to drive both 1er hatches and Audi A3 , Mercedes SportCoupe (Snigger!) before getting the keys to the Coupe. As they have stressed the Coupe is the more performance , sporty dynamic interpretation of the 1er platform and you can feel this in it's enhanced steering and suspension modifications - coupled with this new diesel, show it's beginnings as a born winner. The balance and agility with this engine is second to none - No nose heavy feeling everything just fits like a glove.

As mentioned throughout my reports over the last couple of years. The development focused on returning to reinterpreting the days of the E30 especially the E30 M3 in advocating an exciting concept of an enthusiast's driving machine. Purely the Coupe is a sporty dynamic car first and the (useful) rear interior space signify's this, as the driver is positioned in about the centre of the car which gives the design a kicked back look squat on it's haunches.

Agility could not be tested thoroughly as we were confined mainly to city streets and autobahns. (It is fast and remember with 204 PS at your disposal !) - But that opportunity will come but so far I liked what I saw and I am sure it will live up to it's expectations - "We don't work so hard to deliver a disappointment, if we did we cannot be called enthusiasts if we are not passionate about what we do" Someone said with a great big grin.

Some American Tourists saw the car as we parked outside a Kaffehaus - Cooing "It's the new 2 series!" Unfortunately I was not allowed to answer questions so in my best pronounced English "I say sorry but I do not speak English" They asked if they could photograph the car but I said no But I am sure they did. There was two in two colors - (working title as)" Charcoal Mist and Saltire Blue"."

BTW, these pics are of a base model 4-cylinder model.  We won't see it here....

Raza

I hope the production taillight cluster isn't so small.  They're not even on the back of the car.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=9278.msg471235#msg471235 date=1181137631
I hope the production taillight cluster isn't so small.? They're not even on the back of the car.

They won't be so small. If you look closely you will see the trunk is totally covered with tape.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Raza

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on June 06, 2007, 08:37:45 AM
They won't be so small. If you look closely you will see the trunk is totally covered with tape.

Yeah, I see that.  I figured as much, but I thought, since I was in the thread, I'd already clicked Quick Reply.  I didn't want the effort to go to waste.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

JYODER240

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=9278.msg471270#msg471270 date=1181140811
Yeah, I see that.? I figured as much, but I thought, since I was in the thread, I'd already clicked Quick Reply.? I didn't want the effort to go to waste.

post whore :rolleyes:
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

MidnightDave

It'll be interesting to see one in person. Spy shots with body camo' can make any car look pretty ugly...

Somebody in my MINI club said they're doing a 300hp variant? Could just be net jibberish?
2006 Lexus IS350 - bone stock wouldn't change a thing
2006 MINI Cooper S - For Sale!
2002 Toyota Tacoma - A man and his truck, it's a beautiful thing!

Raza

Quote from: MidnightDave on June 07, 2007, 04:36:07 PM
It'll be interesting to see one in person. Spy shots with body camo' can make any car look pretty ugly...

Somebody in my MINI club said they're doing a 300hp variant? Could just be net jibberish?

They made a 130i M Sport, I don't see why they wouldn't make a 135i. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

LonghornTX

Some new pics:

I really love the look of the car in these pics.  Very athletic looking in appearance (look at those fender flares  :rockon:).  This particular car is rumored to be the 135i with the TT N54 from the 335i along with an M-sport body kit.  Some are saying that the 135i will come with the M kit as standard.  I know I sure wouldn't mind  :lol:.

omicron

Love it. Can't wait for it to be released.

Sir_CARzy

oh wow i haven't read much on the 1 in a while, there's going to be a 135i? holy shit - SIGN ME UP!!!!!  :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

Raghavan

ChrisV

Quote from: Raghavan on June 14, 2007, 11:58:45 AM
Why are the taillights so small???

That was covered already: they are mostly covered up, as the entire rear of the trunklid has a cover over it. The actual lights extend onto the trunk lid like the 3 series does.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

NomisR

What's the weight of the 1 series?  Oink?

MX793

Quote from: NomisR on June 14, 2007, 01:47:15 PM
What's the weight of the 1 series?  Oink?

The 130i weighs roughly 3200 lbs.  IIRC, 4 banger models are around 2900.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

LonghornTX

Quote from: MX793 on June 14, 2007, 07:29:34 PM
The 130i weighs roughly 3200 lbs.? IIRC, 4 banger models are around 2900.
The coupe will weigh probably ~100 lbs less (maybe more) than the 4-door model, of equivalent engine type, through the use of aluminum in the suspension and elsewhere.