My weekend project...

Started by traumadog, May 26, 2007, 09:58:55 PM

traumadog

Wanted to do this for a while - and I finally got some time, so in went my new Hotchkis swaybars & new front endlinks...

First were the rear bars (actually done some time ago, as they were easier).  Here's a shot vs. stock:

I had to drop the rear diff to get at the swaybar mounting bolts on the subframe.  I wound up replacing the rear diff mounting bolts today (yay to torque-to-yield :( ), so now I don't have to be as paranoid and take it so easy on launches anymore.

Here's the bar in place:

I'll have to play with the settings (there are four spots on the bar) to see where I like them best.

As for the fronts, I had to drop the front cradle to get it out - which was the bigger pain in the a$$.

Here's another "vs. stock" shot:

As well as my new Aussie end-links:

Here's the bar in place - I also had to undo the trans fluid cooler lines, so it was messy, too.

And finally, the new end-link in place:

I have it in the stiffest setting, and will see how things go from here.

All in all, about 7 hours of work. 

I also helped change my sister-in-law's front rotors on her Ranger, so it's been a busy day.
My Cardomain pages...
My 2004 VY/VZ Conversion (1 of < 889...)
My 1981 Eldorado Diesel <-- slower, but smokier
The wife's 2002 Trailblazer EXT

Eye of the Tiger

OOo.... new swaybars for the Monaro GTO  :rockon:

Be careful setting the rear one full-stiff, you'll be spinnin out all over da place!
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Soup DeVille

Quote from: NACar on May 26, 2007, 10:04:01 PM
OOo.... new swaybars for the Monaro GTO? :rockon:

Be careful setting the rear one full-stiff, you'll be spinnin out all over da place!

What he said: little increments on a rear sway bar can do a lot. The softest setting on the hotchkiss bars is still probably stiffer than the stock bar was. Start at the soft end, and work your way up!
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

omicron

Pedders Suspension.

No bull.

:P

traumadog

Thanks, guys.

FYI - from T Byrne Motorsport's site:

QuoteSpecs:
1 5/16" (33.5 mm) Hollow Front
3/4" (19mm) Hollow Rear
Stiffness:
Front 3 position adjustable: 37%, 49%, and 63% stiffer than stock.
Rear 4 position adjustable 50%, 76%, 111%, and 156% stiffer than stock.

Right now, I have it set to stiffest in front, 3rd stiffest in rear.
My Cardomain pages...
My 2004 VY/VZ Conversion (1 of < 889...)
My 1981 Eldorado Diesel <-- slower, but smokier
The wife's 2002 Trailblazer EXT

S204STi

If you can find a big open lot you can set up a makeshift skidpad and test out different rear bar settings with that.

I've been thinking about Hotchkis bars for my car...they are one of the few companies that actually tells you right out in easy language just how much stiffer your bar is going to be on various settings, and they seem to have a good rep.  Some guys who have lowered their cars have mentioned some compatability issues with the Hotchkis rear endlinks, but since I'm not planning on lowering, I should be fine I guess.

The only issue is price...I suppose with any nice kit price will be about the same though.