Next-gen Ion's production to leave Spring Hill

Started by ifcar, June 20, 2005, 07:09:04 PM

ifcar

Saturn Moving Ion to Ohio

The Saturn Ion will vacate its Tennessee home for new digs in Ohio when it's redesigned, a report in the Cleveland Plain Dealer suggests. The paper reported over the weekend that the Ion would be moved from the Saturn plant in Spring Hill, Tenn., to the Lordstown plant in Ohio that currently builds the Chevrolet Cobalt. The change would happen in time for the next-generation Ion to be built in Ohio for the 2008 model year. Both vehicles share the common GM Delta architecture. The compact Ion's ancestor, the Saturn SL, was the first vehicle to issue forth from the Tennessee plant in the summer of 1990.

That represents probably the last of GM's promises about Saturn being broken. They promised that it would be a formidable competitor against Japanese models, will never include anything rebadged, and would always be built at Spring Hill. Isn't the Ion the only vehicle currently being built there, will the plant close after this?

BMWDave

Hopefully GM will keep its promise as to providing Saturn with desirable cars.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

ifcar

They currently haven't succeeded in that way. If their products were desirable, all three of them shouldn't have had to break Saturn's tradition of not offering rebates.

BMWDave

QuoteThey currently haven't succeeded in that way. If their products were desirable, all three of them shouldn't have had to break Saturn's tradition of not offering rebates.
I'm talking about future cars, such as the SKY, etc.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

ifcar

Sky should be good, Aura should be good. Hopefully the Ion, Vue, and Relay will be either redesigned and improved or scrapped.

93JC

QuoteHopefully the Ion, Vue, and Relay will be either redesigned and improved or scrapped.
In reference to ION (which is how it's supposed to be spelled...  :rolleyes:  :P That's another thing they should fix: instead of ION, VUE, RELAY, SKY and AURA they should be Ion, Vue, Relay Sky and Aura), the report did say this would be for the '08 model year in time for the Ion - I mean, ION's - replacement.

That's pretty unusual for GM: redesigning a compact within a decade!

ifcar

Very few people spell the names in all caps anyway (I used to). Just like no one says KIA instead of Kia, ECHO for Echo, etc.

Raza

An American Opel.  That's what they should do.  
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

R33 GT-R

Dubbed:  Skanky Whore!